To upgrade or not to upgrade? That is the question.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
No you’re not! Lol, you said the same thing last year!!!

🤣🤣🤣

I'll probably say that I'm not interested in upgrading when it's announced and end up getting it within a week of it being released.

That was me last year and I held out until November somehow This year, I'll be back on my normal schedule...upgrade my personal line at launch > 7 plus goes to my business line > 6s Plus will go to my daughter (she has a 6 plus).

iknrisms

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
Given how most carrier plans are setup now, it makes sense for most people to just trade in and get the latest every year. I upgraded on every device except these last 2 bc they just didn’t seem significant from the 6/6+ to make the jump (for me). I think the current devices are obviously getting better and can handle newer os’s so it really comes down to preference. How it’s shaping up, the iP8 is gonna be a pretty big deal so I could see it being a big upgrade cycle. But from a 7/7+ will you really *need* to upgrade? Probably not, but the (near?) edge-to-edge display is definitely worth it

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Did anyone see everythingapplepro’s latest iPhone 8 leaks video?

He’s saying how touchID will be on the back now, that the design isn’t going to be anything like we thought and a whole bunch of other fluff. He’s really starting to annoy me.

aximtreo

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I recommend Cricket if AT&T works for you except for price. It is hard to beat from that standpoint, and if you are used to buying your devices upfront anyway it really won't be any different.

I agree. I pay $35 per month and get excellent service. AT&T and Verizon are pricing themselves out of my market and I suspect many others as well.

camaroz1985

Trusted Member
Sep 2, 2016
Visit site

He’s saying how touchID will be on the back now, that the design isn’t going to be anything like we thought and a whole bunch of other fluff. He’s really starting to annoy me.

I saw the video. Nothing is set in stone, and even he commented on how Apple was locking things down, and the decrease in leaked/stolen hardware that is making it out of the factories. So we are basing everything on rumors and drawings that may or may not be several revisions old.

I know everyone who is a loyal longtime Apple user thinks the rear Touch ID is the end of the world, but I find it no harder to use than the front sensor. Of course my only experience with a rear sensor was the Pixel, but I had no issue with using that.

I agree. I pay $35 per month and get excellent service. AT&T and Verizon are pricing themselves out of my market and I suspect many others as well.

I agree. The only reason I see people sticking with them is for device financing, but if you step back and look at the total costs, you could buy a new phone every 18-24 months with the savings from a MVNO vs the big 4 networks. That said, I am currently taking advantage of the year free with Sprint, after which I will for sure be switching my number back to Cricket. My wife may stay with Sprint (but switch to prepaid) because they are the only carrier that has any signal at her work.

I think if Apple offered financing directly it might steer more people away from the big 4. I know Apple offers special financing if you open an Apple card, but I don't know if they do special promotional rates (no interest for X months) after you have the card, or if it is only when you first open it. The fine print says you have to make an eligible purchase within 30 days of opening the card to get the interest free period.

BoneCollecter

Jun 20, 2017
Visit site

It should not annoy you until apple confirms it.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Given how most carrier plans are setup now, it makes sense for most people to just trade in and get the latest every year. I upgraded on every device except these last 2 bc they just didn’t seem significant from the 6/6+ to make the jump (for me). I think the current devices are obviously getting better and can handle newer os’s so it really comes down to preference. How it’s shaping up, the iP8 is gonna be a pretty big deal so I could see it being a big upgrade cycle. But from a 7/7+ will you really *need* to upgrade? Probably not, but the (near?) edge-to-edge display is definitely worth it

For me, there's never a "need" to upgrade. I just do it because I like new devices🤷🏾*♀️

I agree. The only reason I see people sticking with them is for device financing, but if you step back and look at the total costs, you could buy a new phone every 18-24 months with the savings from a MVNO vs the big 4 networks. That said, I am currently taking advantage of the year free with Sprint, after which I will for sure be switching my number back to Cricket. My wife may stay with Sprint (but switch to prepaid) because they are the only carrier that has any signal at her work.

I think if Apple offered financing directly it might steer more people away from the big 4. I know Apple offers special financing if you open an Apple card, but I don't know if they do special promotional rates (no interest for X months) after you have the card, or if it is only when you first open it. The fine print says you have to make an eligible purchase within 30 days of opening the card to get the interest free period.

I stick with Verizon because I travel and have never had any issues, even when traveling to scarcely populated areas. No financing of devices, just exceptional coverage that I don't have to worry about.

As far as the Apple Card goes, that's through Barclaycard & they offer promotional rates based on your credit score just like other card companies. So it has nothing to do with Apple, it's all about your credit.

camaroz1985

Trusted Member
Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
As far as the Apple Card goes, that's through Barclaycard & they offer promotional rates based on your credit score just like other card companies. So it has nothing to do with Apple, it's all about your credit.

Yes I know how the card works, I was just saying if Apple offered 12 or 24 month interest free financing, more people may take them up on that, and then not feel the need for financing the phone through a carrier.

Chuck_loads

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
Riding my 7 plus till it dies more than likely I'm a habitual upgrader, recently had some positive life changes an my spare money is going elsewhere.

itsnotmeitsyou

Aug 2, 2016
Visit site
I'm getting it. I'm sure it'll have Pro Motion (would be extremely stupid if it didn't) and after seeing Pro Motion on my iPad Pro 10.5, everything else seems laggy.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
It's expensive and my 7+ is doing great. I know iOS11 will give it a great refresh. I love my 7+ and will hold off . I have other things my money is needed for. If i was having serious issues with my phone I would but for once in my tech life my phone has been great. No need at the moment.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I'm not a fan of the vertical camera position.
I just upgraded to the 7 Plus today, but I won't mind upgrading to the next iPhone.
But first, I need to save up hahaha!

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I was just saying if Apple offered 12 or 24 month interest free financing, more people may take them up on that, and then not feel the need for financing the phone through a carrier.

They do. It’s called iPhone Upgrade Program: https://forums.imore.com/e?link=htt...phone%2Fiphone-upgrade-program&token=4eAjwq0X

I’ve used it to purchase my last two iPhones. No interest whatsoever, it’s a 24-month plan but you have the option to upgrade after 12 months, and it includes AppleCare+. They technically finance through Citizens but you don’t actually have to go to Citizens for anything (unless maybe if there’s a problem with the loan; I haven’t experienced one though). Any retailer is going to use an underlying bank in their financing but Apple makes the experience completely seamless.

camaroz1985

Trusted Member
Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
They do. It’s called iPhone Upgrade Program: https://forums.imore.com/e?link=htt...phone%2Fiphone-upgrade-program&token=t9ZbHDYp

I’ve used it to purchase my last two iPhones. No interest whatsoever, it’s a 24-month plan but you have the option to upgrade after 12 months, and it includes AppleCare+. They technically finance through Citizens but you don’t actually have to go to Citizens for anything (unless maybe if there’s a problem with the loan; I haven’t experienced one though). Any retailer is going to use an underlying bank in their financing but Apple makes the experience completely seamless.

I guess that is financing if you keep paying for 24 months (though you are paying way more than the cost of the phone normally, so the no interest claim isn't really valid, $777 vs $649 for a 32GB 7 for example). If you upgrade after 12 months it is basically a very expensive lease, where you pay over half the value of the phone and have nothing to show at the end. Also you have to use one of those carriers, so you are basically locked into a contract with and expensive phone plan. I am using Sprint now because it is basically free for the next year, but I won't use them beyond that, I will switch back to an MVNO.

What I was referring to is zero interest financing for 12 or 24 months, even if it is through the Apple Card that is fine. But at the end of that period you would only pay the listed price and would own the phone and could sell it if you wanted. Since my first post I did receive an offer from Barclays for another interest free purchase period from the Apple store. Unfortunately it ends before the new phones will be out, but maybe they will do the same again after the phones are out.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711