Coming back from Androidland. At least for now.

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
Hahahahahahaha "f'd up fours!" I am cracking up. I mean my little boy is very good for the most part. Since he started talking and fully comprehending us is when the bad behavior kicked in. Throws toys and food, eats horribly, and doesn't shut up! I can't complain too much because he has slept through the night since he was 6 months...So I know I am doomed when the next one comes.

I always question myself how I am not a raging alcoholic . My escape and hobby is tech!

Not to further derail the thread, but the odd thing is how difference each child can be. Our first, a daughter, was tough in some ways. For one, after she hit about 8 months she refused to let us feed her. Since she couldn't work a spoon, we had to get creative and find soft "finger" foods that she could eat with her hands (the one I remember is the Gerber Meat Sticks).

If that wasn't enough of a nightmare, she needed to know one of us was somewhere close. We'd try to leave her with someone and, as soon as she realized she couldn't see us, she'd wail like a banshee. One time, she would have been 3, we had to go do some things and, when she noticed we weren't there she started screaming and kept it up until we got back, over two hours later. We'd even left her with close friends who had kids she was friends with and it didn't help at all.

My son came after her and, by contrast, seemed almost perfect. He has been a kid who could entertain himself and rarely cried, so we could set him down to play and he'd be fine. My only issue with him was his tendency to try to wander off when we were in public, and often "hide."

We ended up with three, each is unique and have always had their own personalities. Of course, now their grown and are finding new ways to get into trouble, and to bless our lives. So, just because you had one that is a holy terror, does not mean the next one won't be near "perfect."

And to try to go back on topic; one of my reasons for getting an iPhone was because all three of my kids had one. Of course, two of them have now switched to Android. ;)

popkurn611

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site
Not to further derail the thread, but the odd thing is how difference each child can be. Our first, a daughter, was tough in some ways. For one, after she hit about 8 months she refused to let us feed her. Since she couldn't work a spoon, we had to get creative and find soft "finger" foods that she could eat with her hands (the one I remember is the Gerber Meat Sticks).

If that wasn't enough of a nightmare, she needed to know one of us was somewhere close. We'd try to leave her with someone and, as soon as she realized she couldn't see us, she'd wail like a banshee. One time, she would have been 3, we had to go do some things and, when she noticed we weren't there she started screaming and kept it up until we got back, over two hours later. We'd even left her with close friends who had kids she was friends with and it didn't help at all.

My son came after her and, by contrast, seemed almost perfect. He has been a kid who could entertain himself and rarely cried, so we could set him down to play and he'd be fine. My only issue with him was his tendency to try to wander off when we were in public, and often "hide."

We ended up with three, each is unique and have always had their own personalities. Of course, now their grown and are finding new ways to get into trouble, and to bless our lives. So, just because you had one that is a holy terror, does not mean the next one won't be near "perfect."

And to try to go back on topic; one of my reasons for getting an iPhone was because all three of my kids had one. Of course, two of them have now switched to Android. ;)

Haha it's sometimes nice to derail from the topic for a bit and get to know people. I mean we are on a forum right? Discussing commonalities and life experiences eases the mind of some people. It's nice to hear I'm not the only one going through those rough periods with children. I think there is always a rough period though! Maybe once they turn 21 that ends? Lol

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
Haha it's sometimes nice to derail from the topic for a bit and get to know people. I mean we are on a forum right? Discussing commonalities and life experiences eases the mind of some people. It's nice to hear I'm not the only one going through those rough periods with children. I think there is always a rough period though! Maybe once they turn 21 that ends? Lol

That was partly my comment towards the end on my post. My kids are all over 21 and live away from home. You know longer have much of the day to day (or should I say hour to hour) drama, but it doesn't completely end. ;)

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
We have quite the collection right now. When my wife and I got married, she came as a package deal with an almost 9 year old (I had been in her life since she was 5). So we were already a family of three. Now we have a four year old little girl and 6 month old twins (boy and girl). Everyone is completely different. It's actually VERY cool to see how much different the twins are. They already have their own personalities. They're different in every way possible, including diaper sizes!

It is actually pretty nice to get to know people on here a little bit.

And for now I think I'm staying with the Apple ecosystem. It's too much of a hassle to switch, to be honest. And I love Android, still. But it's such a hassle to swap all the time.

aggie

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
Hahahahahahaha "f'd up fours!" I am cracking up. I mean my little boy is very good for the most part. Since he started talking and fully comprehending us is when the bad behavior kicked in. Throws toys and food, eats horribly, and doesn't shut up! I can't complain too much because he has slept through the night since he was 6 months...So I know I am doomed when the next one comes.

I always question myself how I am not a raging alcoholic . My escape and hobby is tech!

LOL the throwing toys is the worst part. I was staying in my parents guest house last fall and early this year while my new house was being built. Very small quarters...a bedroom, kitchen, bathroom and small living room for two kids, myself, and my wife. Very stressful time even though we were blessed to have it. One day the then 3 year old boy got mad because I told him he couldn’t go outside because it was too cold. He launched a hot wheels car into the center of my dad’s brand new 65” 4K Samsung TV hanging on the wall. He had just put it up a few days earlier so we would have a tv to watch. I was so mad I couldn’t even speak, much less spank him. Had to just walk out. Dropped him at my parents and went straight to Best Buy to replace his tv :|

Ok, back on topic, I remember you from the Pixel forum at AC. Still have my Pixel XL and 7 Plus. S8 is my daily driver but it’s getting more and more difficult to stay away from the 7 Plus. The integration with my iPad Pro, Apple TV, and that I’m probably one of the 2 or 3 people that prefer CarPlay to Android Auto keeps me holding on to it. Love the maps on Android Auto but the interface on Car Play is much nicer to me. I’ll probably just rotate between the 3 devices until the iPhone 8 or whatever it’s called is released and like I always do in the fall, sell my other devices and have a rotation of the iPhone and Note until the Galaxy S spring release. Don’t think the Pixel 2 will appeal much to me unless there is a complete overhaul. I typically skip every other Nexus release and just keep one to have a stock android device.

aggie

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
We have quite the collection right now. When my wife and I got married, she came as a package deal with an almost 9 year old (I had been in her life since she was 5). So we were already a family of three. Now we have a four year old little girl and 6 month old twins (boy and girl). Everyone is completely different. It's actually VERY cool to see how much different the twins are. They already have their own personalities. They're different in every way possible, including diaper sizes!

It is actually pretty nice to get to know people on here a little bit.

And for now I think I'm staying with the Apple ecosystem. It's too much of a hassle to switch, to be honest. And I love Android, still. But it's such a hassle to swap all the time.

I wish I could find your level of contentment with iOS. Each platform has its own strengths and when I’m using one I’m missing things from the other. For example, my sim is in my iPhone right now with iOS 11 on it. The new notification tray is absolutely driving me insane. Android has always been my preference with regards to how it handles notifications. iOS Notification Center wasn’t bad in ios10 but still not as good as Android’s notifications. However, I feel they took a huge step back in ios11 with how the notifications are tied to the lock screen. Like anything I suppose I’ll be able to get used to it but its going to be a while before that happens.

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I wish I could find your level of contentment with iOS. Each platform has its own strengths and when I’m using one I’m missing things from the other. For example, my sim is in my iPhone right now with iOS 11 on it. The new notification tray is absolutely driving me insane. Android has always been my preference with regards to how it handles notifications. iOS Notification Center wasn’t bad in ios10 but still not as good as Android’s notifications. However, I feel they took a huge step back in ios11 with how the notifications are tied to the lock screen. Like anything I suppose I’ll be able to get used to it but its going to be a while before that happens.

Oh I actually have a 50-50 level of contentment with iOS. I like it at times. I hate it at times. My contentment is more of a "I can't find this cohesiveness and reliability with Android". I really prefer Android and it's services.

I also DESPISE the notifications on iOS. I hate them on 10, so now I'm worried about 11!

popkurn611

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site
LOL the throwing toys is the worst part. I was staying in my parents guest house last fall and early this year while my new house was being built. Very small quarters...a bedroom, kitchen, bathroom and small living room for two kids, myself, and my wife. Very stressful time even though we were blessed to have it. One day the then 3 year old boy got mad because I told him he couldn’t go outside because it was too cold. He launched a hot wheels car into the center of my dad’s brand new 65” 4K Samsung TV hanging on the wall. He had just put it up a few days earlier so we would have a tv to watch. I was so mad I couldn’t even speak, much less spank him. Had to just walk out. Dropped him at my parents and went straight to Best Buy to replace his tv :|

Ok, back on topic, I remember you from the Pixel forum at AC. Still have my Pixel XL and 7 Plus. S8 is my daily driver but it’s getting more and more difficult to stay away from the 7 Plus. The integration with my iPad Pro, Apple TV, and that I’m probably one of the 2 or 3 people that prefer CarPlay to Android Auto keeps me holding on to it. Love the maps on Android Auto but the interface on Car Play is much nicer to me. I’ll probably just rotate between the 3 devices until the iPhone 8 or whatever it’s called is released and like I always do in the fall, sell my other devices and have a rotation of the iPhone and Note until the Galaxy S spring release. Don’t think the Pixel 2 will appeal much to me unless there is a complete overhaul. I typically skip every other Nexus release and just keep one to have a stock android device.

I guess I haven't gone through the worst of it! Damn, that must have had a big price tag! I get the toys thrown at me, which I guess is better than at my TV or other high priced items.

Ah the pixel! I had a love hate relationship with that phone. I had the XL, was way too clunky for me and I got the regular size, which I loved but always felt like I was holding a hockey puck. Software was amazing but I just wasn't in love or content with it. Didn't like the FPS on the back and the bezels were just so pointless. Definitely the best android phone I've ever used though. Do you use it often in comparison to the s8? I think the pixel 2 is going to be a huge improvement if Google listened to its customers. If I do ever go back to android again, which will be very hard for me to do at this point, I'd get a pixel 2.

As @Wildo6882 said, it's not that we are so content, but I think we traded off the things that we loved about android and love about iOS. We have always said how horrible the notification system is on iOS. It lacks, but it doesn't disable any fluent daily usage of my phone activity. I actually love not seeing 8 different status icons on the top left of my status bar! I was OCD on android, constantly pulling down the tray and swiping away. I don't pull down the iOS tray nearly as much bc I don't really need to. It is almost like a take it or leave it notification tray. All my financial apps have FPS integration and about 10% had it on android. I never once worry about my battery life on iOS, android I am always looking to tweak things to get the best battery life...Except on the pixel actually.

iMessage and FaceTime with family really is the deal breaker for me at this point. If those two apps were on android I'd never be using an iPhone.

Did you opt for the beta program to get iOS 11?

tmx31415

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
I have both the iPhone 7 plus and the S8+. Overall i prefer the experience on the 7 plus. I feel that it is a more reliable device for me as a daily driver. I will probably be selling the S8+ and sticking with Apple.

Posted via the iMore App for Android

BoneCollecter

Jun 20, 2017
Visit site
Android phones have great hardware but i am never going android totally,(atleast not for now) I love using iPhone it has some great simplicity and continues software support.