Coming back from Androidland. At least for now.

anon(39328)

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
I've been using the frontier watch for a few weeks now. So far, it has been a positive experience. It does everything that I was able to do with the apple watch, and the battery life is amazing. The only criticism I have is that it doesn't have Google assistant. Samsung's S Voice is horrible.

By the way, Samsung Pay with the s3 frontier has been a pleasant surprise. It works nearly everywhere, and you collect reward points for every purchase using Samsung Pay. In contrast, I only found a handful of places near me that accepted Apple Pay.

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I just picked up the Frontier yesterday to try with my S8+. I want to compare the whole package to my 7 Plus/Apple Watch. I definitely prefer the look of the Frontier. Not a contest in my opinion, but I'm sure others could feel the exact opposite. We will see how it all works together though. That will be the real test.

So you staying with Android and the Samsung stuff for now? Just wondering where you're at after seeing iOS 11 and whatnot.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
So you staying with Android and the Samsung stuff for now? Just wondering where you're at after seeing iOS 11 and whatnot.
I am sticking with it for now. I have been very happy with the S8+ and I really like the S3 with it. This would be so much easier if I could sit here and tell you how the S8+ is amazing and the 7 Plus is old tech and outdated like I've seen others say. That stuff just isn't true. The S8+ is an awesome phone, but so is the 7 Plus. The software is different obviously, but even that's not a huge deal for me. I have hardly customized my S8+ at all. I just have not had the time and it just works so I have not needed custom launchers or anything like that.

iOS 11 does a lot of good stuff. I think it's a good update. It didn't do anything that made me absolutely not want to give Samsung another try, but it did enough to make me keep my 7 Plus instead of selling it right away. I can be happy with either one to be honest. The tech lover in me had to give the S8 a try and I'm glad I did. How long will it last? Stay tuned...lol.

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I am sticking with it for now. I have been very happy with the S8+ and I really like the S3 with it. This would be so much easier if I could sit here and tell you how the S8+ is amazing and the 7 Plus is old tech and outdated like I've seen others say. That stuff just isn't true. The S8+ is an awesome phone, but so is the 7 Plus. The software is different obviously, but even that's not a huge deal for me. I have hardly customized my S8+ at all. I just have not had the time and it just works so I have not needed custom launchers or anything like that.

iOS 11 does a lot of good stuff. I think it's a good update. It didn't do anything that made me absolutely not want to give Samsung another try, but it did enough to make me keep my 7 Plus instead of selling it right away. I can be happy with either one to be honest. The tech lover in me had to give the S8 a try and I'm glad I did. How long will it last? Stay tuned...lol.

I have basically been using my 6s Plus for like 18 months. And now I'm getting pretty bored of iOS. But I REALLY like iOS 11 on the iPad (I pre-ordered the 10.5). But I'm not sold on iOS 11 on the iPhone, as I think it didn't really add much other than a new control center. So I'm torn. Up until I got this 6s Plus, I was all about Android, but I don't know if I can go back at this point. I actually picked up an HTC U11 that I've been playing with a little bit at home. And it id definitely a really nice phone, but I don't know if it's for me. So I'm also debating on the unlocked S8, Essential Phone, or waiting for the Pixel 2 or iPhone 8. It's a bad addiction to have!

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I have basically been using my 6s Plus for like 18 months. And now I'm getting pretty bored of iOS. But I REALLY like iOS 11 on the iPad (I pre-ordered the 10.5). But I'm not sold on iOS 11 on the iPhone, as I think it didn't really add much other than a new control center. So I'm torn. Up until I got this 6s Plus, I was all about Android, but I don't know if I can go back at this point. I actually picked up an HTC U11 that I've been playing with a little bit at home. And it id definitely a really nice phone, but I don't know if it's for me. So I'm also debating on the unlocked S8, Essential Phone, or waiting for the Pixel 2 or iPhone 8. It's a bad addiction to have!

I understand. I am definitely not as bad as I used to be about jumping around. I just enjoy tech though. I have heard a lot of good things about the HTC U11. If I don't stick with the S8, I will probably go back to the 7 Plus and just wait for the next iPhone. If I stick with the S8, I will still wait and see what the next iPhone has to offer. I will know better by then how the S8 is going to hold up after months of use.

It is very difficult to leave iOS after using it for any any length of time. I used to jump around so frequently that I didn't get that attached to anything. I used only the 7 Plus since October so I got very used to iOS. I am still struggling with it. It's the reason I can't 100% say that I will stick with the S8 even though I think it's a really great phone running the best software a Samsung phone has ever run. I don't know about you, but the other struggle is that my family are all iPhone users. Some friends and clients have moved to Samsung, but very few. iPhone users are very loyal until they have a reason not to be. For most "normal" people Apple doesn't do anything to make them look elsewhere. I wish I was normal....lol.

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I understand. I am definitely not as bad as I used to be about jumping around. I just enjoy tech though. I have heard a lot of good things about the HTC U11. If I don't stick with the S8, I will probably go back to the 7 Plus and just wait for the next iPhone. If I stick with the S8, I will still wait and see what the next iPhone has to offer. I will know better by then how the S8 is going to hold up after months of use.

It is very difficult to leave iOS after using it for any any length of time. I used to jump around so frequently that I didn't get that attached to anything. I used only the 7 Plus since October so I got very used to iOS. I am still struggling with it. It's the reason I can't 100% say that I will stick with the S8 even though I think it's a really great phone running the best software a Samsung phone has ever run. I don't know about you, but the other struggle is that my family are all iPhone users. Some friends and clients have moved to Samsung, but very few. iPhone users are very loyal until they have a reason not to be. For most "normal" people Apple doesn't do anything to make them look elsewhere. I wish I was normal....lol.

Yeah, I completely hear that. My issue with Android is that nothing is as cohesive as Apple. Meaning, nothing communicates with like products quite like Apple. Also, nothing has the support that I feel that Apple gives its devices. You can buy any Apple device from ANYWHERE, and Apple will support it. This is not the case with anything else. If you buy a Google Pixel second hand, you can't put Pixel Protect on it. But you can put AppleCare on an iPhone if you buy one secondhand. If you get a Samsung Galaxy whatever from AT&T, Samsung will make you deal with AT&T. But Apple will deal directly with you if you got an iPhone from AT&T.

It's kind of gotten down to what I actually use my phone for, and Apple does it best. Android does it well, and does it flashier than Apple, but leaves some things to be desired. And now with iOS 11, an iPad isn't just a blown up version of an iPhone, it looks like an actual computing device. Which is pretty much what I was waiting for. Man, I think I solved my own problem...

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I completely hear that. My issue with Android is that nothing is as cohesive as Apple. Meaning, nothing communicates with like products quite like Apple. Also, nothing has the support that I feel that Apple gives its devices. You can buy any Apple device from ANYWHERE, and Apple will support it. This is not the case with anything else. If you buy a Google Pixel second hand, you can't put Pixel Protect on it. But you can put AppleCare on an iPhone if you buy one secondhand. If you get a Samsung Galaxy whatever from AT&T, Samsung will make you deal with AT&T. But Apple will deal directly with you if you got an iPhone from AT&T.

It's kind of gotten down to what I actually use my phone for, and Apple does it best. Android does it well, and does it flashier than Apple, but leaves some things to be desired. And now with iOS 11, an iPad isn't just a blown up version of an iPhone, it looks like an actual computing device. Which is pretty much what I was waiting for. Man, I think I solved my own problem...

Very well said. I can't argue with any of those points as they are all things that I have said myself. Yet here I am with the S8...lol. I don't have an iPad anymore, but iOS 11 may push me to grab that 10.5 inch iPad Pro.

I think you did solve your own problem. Sometimes it just helps to talk through it. I can't bring myself to sell my 7 Plus. Maybe that is telling me something too. I am going to continue to enjoy the S8+ for now and we will see how it all shakes out.

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Very well said. I can't argue with any of those points as they are all things that I have said myself. Yet here I am with the S8...lol. I don't have an iPad anymore, but iOS 11 may push me to grab that 10.5 inch iPad Pro.

I think you did solve your own problem. Sometimes it just helps to talk through it. I can't bring myself to sell my 7 Plus. Maybe that is telling me something too. I am going to continue to enjoy the S8+ for now and we will see how it all shakes out.

Yeah, I think iOS 11 on the new Pro looks great. Makes it a whole lot more like a computer, but still has that same ease of use. That was really what I was looking for in an iPad. I didn't want a Mac, because I didn't need the full computer experience. But I didn't want an iPad, because I felt like it was just a blown up iPhone. Now I see it a little differently. I think I'll just ride with Apple for now and be content with what I have.

RHChan84

Oct 22, 2016
Visit site
I've had numerous Android devices and not mid range but high end devices. Droid X, Motorola RAZR HD, LG G3, Nexus 6P all when they first came out and their devices ran fantastic. Months went by and it never ran as smooth unless I perform a factory reset. Tried everything and factory reset always seems to make the device run smooth.

I've owned the 7Plus since a month after launch and it runs very smooth no matter what I do. I rarely reboot the device, never factory reset, way more apps then I had on my Android devices, and still runs smooth. I rarely clear out the recent apps list. Maybe once every other week if I remember.

popkurn611

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site

I think you always end of solving your own problem, just need us to vent it to!!! I'm still going strong on the 7 plus. Had it for 3 months and have zero desire or itch to go back to android.

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site

I recently just got a MacBook Pro 2016 with TouchBar so I think getting an iPad Pro would be redundant for me. I also recently sold an iPad mini 3 that I had purchased cause I hardly used it. The 10.5” Pro does look really nice.

Yeah, I think iOS 11 on the new Pro looks great. Makes it a whole lot more like a computer, but still has that same ease of use. That was really what I was looking for in an iPad. I didn't want a Mac, because I didn't need the full computer experience. But I didn't want an iPad, because I felt like it was just a blown up iPhone. Now I see it a little differently. I think I'll just ride with Apple for now and be content with what I have.

I think you’re Wallet and sanity would appreciate you just sticking with iOS. 🤣 Yes I did get the S8+ but with the intention of returning it LOL. I must say the hardware was nice but that’s where it stopped for me. The software while nicer compared to older versions of TouchWhiz is still a mess. I mean holy crap man the settings menu is so overwhelming my mind was spinning!

There’s ton of stuff in iOS 11 that they didn’t show in the keynote. Screen recording is a major one, another big one for me is being able to pin notes in the Notes app, being able to search tabs in safari etc...

There’s going to be more stuff tweaked and added as the betas come out. Just look up EverythingApplePros video on the 100 new changes and features in iOS 11.

I think you always end of solving your own problem, just need us to vent it to!!! I'm still going strong on the 7 plus. Had it for 3 months and have zero desire or itch to go back to android.

Yeah tell him popkurn!! LOL. I’m sure when the OP5 comes out he’ll be the first to preorder it.

popkurn611

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site
I recently just got a MacBook Pro 2016 with TouchBar so I think getting an iPad Pro would be redundant for me. I also recently sold an iPad mini 3 that I had purchased cause I hardly used it. The 10.5” Pro does look really nice.

I think you’re Wallet and sanity would appreciate you just sticking with iOS. 🤣 Yes I did get the S8+ but with the intention of returning it LOL. I must say the hardware was nice but that’s where it stopped for me. The software while nicer compared to older versions of TouchWhiz is still a mess. I mean holy crap man the settings menu is so overwhelming my mind was spinning!

There’s ton of stuff in iOS 11 that they didn’t show in the keynote. Screen recording is a major one, another big one for me is being able to pin notes in the Notes app, being able to search tabs in safari etc...

There’s going to be more stuff tweaked and added as the betas come out. Just look up EverythingApplePros video on the 100 new changes and features in iOS 11.

Yeah tell him popkurn!! LOL. I’m sure when the OP5 comes out he’ll be the first to preorder it.

I don't think @Wildo6882 will get the OP5! Rest assured I think with my help I've convinced him/her to stick with iOS!

After having the s7 edge and seeing the curved edges again on the s8 I have no desire getting it. Heck I can't believe I am so content right now with my 7 plus! I literally got a new phone every month and my credit cards were skyrocketing. Not to mention the time spent selling each phone and still managing a family and toddler on the side was really starting to take a toll on me!

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site

I don't think @Wildo6882 will get the OP5! Rest assured I think with my help I've convinced him/her to stick with iOS!

After having the s7 edge and seeing the curved edges again on the s8 I have no desire getting it. Heck I can't believe I am so content right now with my 7 plus! I literally got a new phone every month and my credit cards were skyrocketing. Not to mention the time spent selling each phone and still managing a family and toddler on the side was really starting to take a toll on me!

It would be way better for me to stick with iOS. Better for my wallet, my time, my sanity. We have 4 kids now, two of which came at once on Dec 2nd last year. The tech nerd in me hates not switching. But the intelligent person in me knows it's a good idea to stay with iOS.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
It would be way better for me to stick with iOS. Better for my wallet, my time, my sanity. We have 4 kids now, two of which came at once on Dec 2nd last year. The tech nerd in me hates not switching. But the intelligent person in me knows it's a good idea to stay with iOS.

First of all, congratulations on the 2 additions to the family. I am sure you have your hands full with 4 kids. As far as staying with iOS, I agree with you. I had a very peaceful 7 months until I poked the Android bear again with the S8+. I am thoroughly enjoying the phone and the Gear S3 too, but I know deep down that it will only be a matter of time before I return to my 7 Plus. No matter how much I fight it, it is just easier to be on the same OS as my family. I too am a huge tech fan so it is hard to put that side of me in check. I did it for 7 months though and really never gave it a second thought. Good luck with the kids and with sticking with iOS. It really is a good choice.

popkurn611

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site

Wow god bless you, I have 1 and thought the terrible twos would end but now I'm battling the horrible threes!

aggie

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
Wow god bless you, I have 1 and thought the terrible twos would end but now I'm battling the horrible threes!

Ive got two. My daughter is seven and has always been so calm and easy going. Thought this parent thing was cake. Then we had the boy. Terrible two's came (actually started at one). On to the three's, I think you correctly identified it as horrible three's. Now we're at the "f'd up fours". No sign of relief in site. I think that's why I resort to tech (and alcohol, lots of alcohol) as an escape ;) Hope it goes easier for you.

popkurn611

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site
Ive got two. My daughter is seven and has always been so calm and easy going. Thought this parent thing was cake. Then we had the boy. Terrible two's came (actually started at one). On to the three's, I think you correctly identified it as horrible three's. Now we're at the "f'd up fours". No sign of relief in site. I think that's why I resort to tech (and alcohol, lots of alcohol) as an escape ;) Hope it goes easier for you.

Hahahahahahaha "f'd up fours!" I am cracking up. I mean my little boy is very good for the most part. Since he started talking and fully comprehending us is when the bad behavior kicked in. Throws toys and food, eats horribly, and doesn't shut up! I can't complain too much because he has slept through the night since he was 6 months...So I know I am doomed when the next one comes.

I always question myself how I am not a raging alcoholic . My escape and hobby is tech!

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2