Coming back from Androidland. At least for now.

grover5

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
They both have advantages and disadvantages and it can easily be debated which is more secure. Google is doing a better job of providing security updates and patching security holes -- so long as your phone gets those updates. iOS is more "locked down" which provides advantages, since a "rogue" app on iOS cannot do the same damage, or steal the same information, as on Android.

Perhaps. As a recent owner of a nexus 6p I can say those security patches weren't exactly timely and one of them sent my phone into an endless bootloop that ended up killing it. So I personally wasnt very impressed.

muckle_dabuckle

Apr 28, 2017
Visit site
Google is trying to make the updates separate from the hardware but you can't completely do it. It works best with the monthly security updates, but Android updates are hardware dependent. Also, again because of Open Source, the manufacturers can still add in the requirement to their versions of Android that requires them to approve the update before it goes to their devices.

And you hit the issue, Google doesn't "sell" or "license" Android in a traditional sense -- it is basically free to use, which is why you have such a large modder community.

Good points. It almost seems like my carrier pushes out Android security updates from the best selling phone down. There is no way to know how well a new phone will sell so it's a really annoying game I don't have to worry about anymore using Apple. It makes sense not spending resources testing updates on a phone not making any money for carriers...it's just a bad situation for customers.

I don't know if I'm wrong here but doesn't Google announce vulnerabilities a month after notifying manufactures? If the manufacturer doesn't push the updates your phone is stuck with tons of known vulnerabilities for anyone to take advantage of that has the know how. I had almost 400 known vulnerabilities on my V20 before I ditched it for an iPhone 7 Plus.

Are iOS vulnerabilities ever announced before being patched unless it is a shared hardware vulnerability announced by Google or other researchers?

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
Perhaps. As a recent owner of a nexus 6p I can say those security patches weren't exactly timely and one of them sent my phone into an endless bootloop that ended up killing it. So I personally wasnt very impressed.

The idea on "timely" is that they pushed security updates once a month; more frequently than what Apple does.

As another owner of a 6P, from what I saw, your experience wasn't typical. I never had any major issue with any update. I do seem to recall an update that caused an issue, but that happens on any phone (iOS 10.3.2 seems to be causing issues with my iPad and iPhone).

The bootloop issue seems to have been a hardware issue with some 6P phones (though not as bad as LGs bootloop issue) and not directly related to the update.

grover5

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
The idea on "timely" is that they pushed security updates once a month; more frequently than what Apple does.

As another owner of a 6P, from what I saw, your experience wasn't typical. I never had any major issue with any update. I do seem to recall an update that caused an issue, but that happens on any phone (iOS 10.3.2 seems to be causing issues with my iPad and iPhone).

The bootloop issue seems to have been a hardware issue with some 6P phones (though not as bad as LGs bootloop issue) and not directly related to the update.

Do you work for google? Just curious how you could possibly know the extent of the problem and what caused it. I do know I got the update. I installed it. And the phone immediately went into a reboot loop that killed it. I also know my security updates were always a month behind. And were updates to known and published vulnerabilities while I have not seen monthly published vulnerabilities on iOS. There are definitely good things about android. But security and stability would not be two that I'd tout.

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
Do you work for google? Just curious how you could possibly know the extent of the problem and what caused it. I do know I got the update. I installed it. And the phone immediately went into a reboot loop that killed it. I also know my security updates were always a month behind. And were updates to known and published vulnerabilities while I have not seen monthly published vulnerabilities on iOS. There are definitely good things about android. But security and stability would not be two that I'd tout.

I'm a tech person; I know about this stuff because I follow it, both iOS and Android and own phones in both ecosystems.

As for "announcing" vulnerabilities, I don't think that is the issue that many here are making it out to be. In fact, in the tech world, Apple is often criticized for not announcing their vulnerabilities. The reason for this is that vulnerabilities are typically known and understood, before being announced, by both hackers and those that work in mobile security. The main purpose of announcements is to let the average user know about the issues, including what steps they can take to minimize their vulnerability, until the issue is patched.

grover5

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I'm a tech person; I know about this stuff because I follow it, both iOS and Android and own phones in both ecosystems.

As for "announcing" vulnerabilities, I don't think that is the issue that many here are making it out to be. In fact, in the tech world, Apple is often criticized for not announcing their vulnerabilities. The reason for this is that vulnerabilities are typically known and understood, before being announced, by both hackers and those that work in mobile security. The main purpose of announcements is to let the average user know about the issues, including what steps they can take to minimize their vulnerability, until the issue is patched.

That's one opinion. Mine is that security and stability are not strengths for android. As a past user of blackberry OS, blackberry 10 OS, palm webOS, Android and current iOS user I feel very comfortable in that assessment.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
That's one opinion. Mine is that security and stability are not strengths for android. As a past user of blackberry OS, blackberry 10 OS, palm webOS, Android and current iOS user I feel very comfortable in that assessment.

I don't think there's any doubt about that. While Android has improved it's security, it remains the most vulnerable mobile OS.

Sent from mTalk on my SP4

chezm

Trusted Member
Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
They both have advantages and disadvantages and it can easily be debated which is more secure. Google is doing a better job of providing security updates and patching security holes -- so long as your phone gets those updates. iOS is more "locked down" which provides advantages, since a "rogue" app on iOS cannot do the same damage, or steal the same information, as on Android.

I think its safe to say the locking down approach (no entry possible except for minor holes) is a safer, more secure setup than something more 'open source-esque' like Android. It's easier to stop things from breaching is the holes are plugged rather than open flood gates and patching that hole steps at a time.

Im by no means a software OS expert, but working in the field of network engineering logic seems it could be somewhat implied/shared.

SugarMouth

Trusted Member
Apr 29, 2017
Visit site
I am currently using an S8 Plus and love it. I also own a 7 Plus and enjoy it. I'm currently leaning towards my S8 Plus. Both good phones but my 7 Plus feels dated next to my S8 Plus.

But I will welcome you back to the iPhone. Great device.

Don't worry, come September you will forget about your S8 Plus. ;-)

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
Don't worry, come September you will forget about your S8 Plus. ;-)

Lol! I have to be honest with you and say unless Apple does something spectacular I'm going to be considering the Note 8. Please don't get me wrong I love Apple devices but the updates have not been anything huge as of late. Since I'm updating yearly I need more. I'll never drift away from any of my other Apple products such as my iMac, MBP or iPad. They are my work horses and nothing on the market even comes close. But Samsung really has stepped it up this time with the S8 Plus.

chezm

Trusted Member
Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Lol! I have to be honest with you and say unless Apple does something spectacular I'm going to be considering the Note 8

I gotta ask, for people with an S8/S8+...lets assume the stylus is the only major change to the Note 8 from the S8+, would you really abandon your device? A lot of people keep saying how they will drop their S8/+ as soon as the Note arrives, but as we can see the difference in the S and Note gets smaller and smaller each year. In turn i see this just as opportunities for Samsung to capitalize on fans buying two devices each YEAR.

So will you still switch if the differences are minor with added stylus?

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
I gotta ask, for people with an S8/S8+...lets assume the stylus is the only major change to the Note 8 from the S8+, would you really abandon your device? A lot of people keep saying how they will drop their S8/+ as soon as the Note arrives, but as we can see the difference in the S and Note gets smaller and smaller each year. In turn i see this just as opportunities for Samsung to capitalize on fans buying two devices each YEAR.

I won't give up my S8 Plus. It will become my second device. I will most likely give up my iPhone. And that is sad to say. I've been a very devoted Apple user for many years.

chezm

Trusted Member
Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
I won't give up my S8 Plus. It will become my second device. I will most likely give up my iPhone. And that is sad to say. I've been a very devoted Apple user for many years.

So you will use a Note 8 as your primary and S8+ as your secondary?...Now im more confused lol

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site

I can't believe I'm going to say it, but I don't​ think I will get the Note this year. It will be a first, but I am very happy with the S8+. Even though I do use the S-Pen with the Note, I'll probably pass this time. The S8+ is a good size phone. I don't really want to go bigger. I have no issues at all with the fingerprint scanner or anything else for that matter. The phone "just works". No sense in messing with that for a phone only a few months newer. I still have my 7 Plus if something does go wrong.

DEEPAK ANEJA

Jun 8, 2017
Visit site
The iPhone 7 and 7 Plus are deeply unusual devices. They are full of aggressive breaks from convention while wrapped in cases that look almost exactly like their two direct predecessors. Even that continuity of design is a break from convention; after almost a decade of Apple’s steady two-year iPhone update pattern, merely retaining the same design for a third straight year plays against expectations.

Inside that case, everything else about the iPhone 7 is a decisive statement about the future. The dual cameras on the iPhone 7 Plus promise to usher in a new era in mobile photography. The iconic iPhone home button is no longer a physical button, but instead a sophisticated ballet of pressure sensors and haptic vibration motors that simulate the feel of a button. The new A10 Fusion processor blends two high-power cores that rival laptop performance with two low-power cores that combine with a much larger battery to extend run time by up to two hours.

And, yes, Apple has removed the headphone jack.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
The iPhone 7 and 7 Plus are deeply unusual devices. They are full of aggressive breaks from convention while wrapped in cases that look almost exactly like their two direct predecessors. Even that continuity of design is a break from convention; after almost a decade of Apple’s steady two-year iPhone update pattern, merely retaining the same design for a third straight year plays against expectations.

Inside that case, everything else about the iPhone 7 is a decisive statement about the future. The dual cameras on the iPhone 7 Plus promise to usher in a new era in mobile photography. The iconic iPhone home button is no longer a physical button, but instead a sophisticated ballet of pressure sensors and haptic vibration motors that simulate the feel of a button. The new A10 Fusion processor blends two high-power cores that rival laptop performance with two low-power cores that combine with a much larger battery to extend run time by up to two hours.

And, yes, Apple has removed the headphone jack.
Wow. Lol.

stsullivan

Aug 15, 2016
Visit site
I don't know if I can't wait myself for the note 8 I do love my apple watch but I have heard a lot of good things about Gear S3 Frontier

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I don't know if I can't wait myself for the note 8 I do love my apple watch but I have heard a lot of good things about Gear S3 Frontier
I just picked up the Frontier yesterday to try with my S8+. I want to compare the whole package to my 7 Plus/Apple Watch. I definitely prefer the look of the Frontier. Not a contest in my opinion, but I'm sure others could feel the exact opposite. We will see how it all works together though. That will be the real test.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW