Coming back from Androidland. At least for now.

phlamethrowre

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site
I've had my S8+ since Apr 19 and have used it everyday since then. Today I went back to my 7+. All I can say is Damn! Both of these phones are awesome!!

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I've had my S8+ since Apr 19 and have used it everyday since then. Today I went back to my 7+. All I can say is Damn! Both of these phones are awesome!!
They really are. I've been using the 7 Plus since October and the just picked up the S8+ a weekend ago. You really can't go wrong with either. It's just a personal preference when it comes to the OS.

phlamethrowre

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site
They really are. I've been using the 7 Plus since October and the just picked up the S8+ a weekend ago. You really can't go wrong with either. It's just a personal preference when it comes to the OS.

I never considered the iPhone 7+ to be an especially wide phone until now. It feels weird after 6 weeks with the S8+.

I'm going to really miss the wireless charging while I'm using the iPhone. I have a fast wireless charger at home and at work. My S8+ stays charged all the time.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I never considered the iPhone 7+ to be an especially wide phone until now. It feels weird after 6 weeks with the S8+.

I'm going to really miss the wireless charging while I'm using the iPhone. I have a fast wireless charger at home and at work. My S8+ stays charged all the time.
The S8+ is definitely easier to hold and use one handed. Samsung really did a great job on design this time around.

Best Buy was giving the fast wireless charger away with the phone when I got and I do like it and use it. I've used them before and always said I can take it or leave it, but there are times when it's nice. I use mine at work and prop the phone up so I can see it easier. It's nice for sure.

I have no intention of bouncing between two phones so I need to pick one. I have one more week and the iOS 11 announcement​ will play a roll in my decision.

blaine07

Case & Accessory Champion
Champion
Oct 16, 2014
Visit site

Yes 7+ is like holding paper weight Lmao

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I am currently using an S8 Plus and love it. I also own a 7 Plus and enjoy it. I'm currently leaning towards my S8 Plus. Both good phones but my 7 Plus feels dated next to my S8 Plus.

But I will welcome you back to the iPhone. Great device.
That has been my exact thoughts. Also on s8 Plus.

Lyall Demorrow

Sep 20, 2014
Visit site
I'm finally back after my 2 month adventure of trying out the s8+. I have to say, the s8+ is an awesome phone, but I like iOS a little more. The most aggravating thing about Android for me was trying to find a good smart watch. I tried all of them and disliked them all. The Gear S3 was ok but lacked a few features that I need, and Android Wear is a mess. I'm very happy to have my iPhone 7+ and Apple Watch back!

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
I've been on iOS since April 2016 after 10+ years on Android. I loved my Google Nexus devices (custom roms, etc) but just got tired of the constant tweaking to keep it running. Even stock roms had to be tinkered with to keep them going. Several reboots per day and I'd had enough.

Now I have a 7 Plus, Apple Watch, iPad Pro and Apple TV.

Loved the customization of Android, but needed a device that was reliable. So far, iOS hasn't disappointed.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm finally back after my 2 month adventure of trying out the s8+. I have to say, the s8+ is an awesome phone, but I like iOS a little more. The most aggravating thing about Android for me was trying to find a good smart watch. I tried all of them and disliked them all. The Gear S3 was ok but lacked a few features that I need, and Android Wear is a mess. I'm very happy to have my iPhone 7+ and Apple Watch back!

I have the S8+ right now, but I'm typing this from my 7 Plus. I love the S8+. It's a great phone. I do miss my Apple Watch when I'm using it though. I've had the Gear S2 with prior galaxy phones. I liked it but it's definitely not the Apple Watch although I prefer the look of it.

Ultimately, I don't know what I'll do. I'm going to wait until after WWDC today and then I'll decide what I'll be using going forward. If I had to make a choice right this second, I'd stick with the 7 Plus/Apple Watch combo right now.

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
I have been exclusive to the iPhone since its introduction. I've also had a BlackBerry and Samsung S5.

Hardware wise, the S8 Plus feels lighter, smaller and definitely faster that 7 plus. It just feels smoother than my 7. Samsung really stepped it up this time. This is not the Galaxy of the past. Samsung put some serious thought into the S8.

As for the software side of things, I'd call it a draw between the 7 & the S8. iOS 10 is nice but Nougat is right there with it. Both have their pros and cons. Where the 7 is ahead is available apps and the quality of them. Mind you the android side of things is getting closer. Where the S8 is ahead is the customisation of the phone.

Don't get me wrong I love both my 7 Plus and S8 Plus. They are both great devices. But I honestly think Samsung has put out a challenge for Apple. Plus with the arrival of the Note 8 later this year which looks like it could be another good one for Samsung. Especially after their failure with the Note 7. I think that epic fail taught Samsung a valuable lesson.

I think Android has the advantage on the software side, as well. They offer the multi-tasking (2 apps on screen) that Apple only offers on the iPad. Also, the ability to choose default apps is a big plus for Android, rather than being forced to use things like Apple Maps. Google Assistant is currently more useful than Siri; though it will be interesting to see how Siri is improved with iOS 11.

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
I switched to the 7 Plus a week ago from a lifetime of Android use. I know I'm still in the honeymoon phase, but I don't see myself going back to Android unless iPhones continously get more expensive and if Google finally figures out security and support.

I don't find iOS any more boring than Android was getting. Pretty much all the same features.

Actually, Google seems to have figured out security, the issue is getting the various manufacturers like Samsung to pass on the updates. I've seen some in the industry claim that the Nexus and Pixel devices are actually more secure, particularly with Android's monthly security updates.

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
I think Android has the advantage on the software side, as well. They offer the multi-tasking (2 apps on screen) that Apple only offers on the iPad. Also, the ability to choose default apps is a big plus for Android, rather than being forced to use things like Apple Maps. Google Assistant is currently more useful than Siri; though it will be interesting to see how Siri is improved with iOS 11.

iOS 11 will be interesting. Especially with the rumors swirling around the supposed Note 8.

Chuck_loads

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
Recently my 7 plus had a high speed impact with the ground had a loaner s8 for insurance claim. Anyways I liked it faster than the note 7 I had previously screen great as always but wasn't blown away by it. Battery life on par with 7 plus but apple seems to not be as fast persay but def smoother all around. Turned it back in yesterday for my new iPhone so all is right in my world.

muckle_dabuckle

Apr 28, 2017
Visit site
Actually, Google seems to have figured out security, the issue is getting the various manufacturers like Samsung to pass on the updates.

To me they still haven't figured it out being they haven't compelled the manufacturers to push out regular security updates. Seems like Google is figuring out ways around this for certain aspects of Android. I wish they'd just take charge. To me they have the leverage over both the manufacturers and carriers.

I've seen some in the industry claim that the Nexus and Pixel devices are actually more secure, particularly with Android's monthly security updates.

I've thought about that in the past and think it's a really good point.

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
To me they still haven't figured it out being they haven't compelled the manufacturers to push out regular security updates. Seems like Google is figuring out ways around this for certain aspects of Android. I wish they'd just take charge. To me they have the leverage over both the manufacturers and carriers.

I've thought about that in the past and think it's a really good point.

There seem to be two issues with Google trying to force manufacturers to comply. First is the fact that Android is Open Source, and I don't believe the ToS will allow Google to do that.

Second, part of the reasons you can have devices like the S8 come from Android's being Open Source. It allows the manufacturers to add extra features and content, which is why you see so much diversity with Android devices. Even Microsoft, which owned Windows Phone OS, still started having similar issues trying to update some of the phones -- and that was without the diversity we see with Android. It become problematic for Microsoft to combine the hardware drivers of some devices, as well as the carrier versions, to get all phones updated.

muckle_dabuckle

Apr 28, 2017
Visit site
There seem to be two issues with Google trying to force manufacturers to comply. First is the fact that Android is Open Source, and I don't believe the ToS will allow Google to do that.

Second, part of the reasons you can have devices like the S8 come from Android's being Open Source. It allows the manufacturers to add extra features and content, which is why you see so much diversity with Android devices. Even Microsoft, which owned Windows Phone OS, still started having similar issues trying to update some of the phones -- and that was without the diversity we see with Android. It become problematic for Microsoft to combine the hardware drivers of some devices, as well as the carrier versions, to get all phones updated.

I thought Google separated the security updates from the software updates to make it easier? Then the manufacturers have hardware and software specific vulnerabilities to fix separate from the Google fixes. I've never been able to fully grasp android updates other than the manufacturer skins and carriers hold things up.

I guess I was thinking too simply. I don't see what carriers could really do if Google bullied them. Not selling android would destroy them. Samsung seems to be the only manufacturer in the position to make their own OS, but Tizen doesn't seem very good. That's the leverage I was thinking of, but yeah it makes sense that the open source nature of Android prevents Google cracking down too much.

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
I thought Google separated the security updates from the software updates to make it easier? Then the manufacturers have hardware and software specific vulnerabilities to fix separate from the Google fixes. I've never been able to fully grasp android updates other than the manufacturer skins and carriers hold things up.

I guess I was thinking too simply. I don't see what carriers could really do if Google bullied them. Not selling android would destroy them. Samsung seems to be the only manufacturer in the position to make their own OS, but Tizen doesn't seem very good. That's the leverage I was thinking of, but yeah it makes sense that the open source nature of Android prevents Google cracking down too much.

Google is trying to make the updates separate from the hardware but you can't completely do it. It works best with the monthly security updates, but Android updates are hardware dependent. Also, again because of Open Source, the manufacturers can still add in the requirement to their versions of Android that requires them to approve the update before it goes to their devices.

And you hit the issue, Google doesn't "sell" or "license" Android in a traditional sense -- it is basically free to use, which is why you have such a large modder community.

grover5

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Actually, Google seems to have figured out security, the issue is getting the various manufacturers like Samsung to pass on the updates. I've seen some in the industry claim that the Nexus and Pixel devices are actually more secure, particularly with Android's monthly security updates.

I think iOS is more secure.

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
I think iOS is more secure.

They both have advantages and disadvantages and it can easily be debated which is more secure. Google is doing a better job of providing security updates and patching security holes -- so long as your phone gets those updates. iOS is more "locked down" which provides advantages, since a "rogue" app on iOS cannot do the same damage, or steal the same information, as on Android.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR