Is the iPhone 7 Plus antenna worse?

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
In short, yes it is. I love making payments on a phone that when on a call, people on the other end constantly complain of the reception.

Sorry to hear, but I definitely can't say the same. My 7 Plus is on par with my 6s Plus and both had/has excellent reception. I'm usually on my iPhone with another 7 Plus user, and it's nice and clear using our Airpods. On the rare occasions when I actually put my iPhone to my ear it's also the same results, nice and clear. I'm using a BestBuy unlocked 256gb Jet Black 7 Plus with a Verizon sim card.

joemd60

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Sorry to hear, but I definitely can't say the same. My 7 Plus is on par with my 6s Plus and both had/has excellent reception. I'm usually on my iPhone with another 7 Plus user, and it's nice and clear using our Airpods. On the rare occasions when I actually put my iPhone to my ear it's also the same results, nice and clear. I'm using a BestBuy unlocked 256gb Jet Black 7 Plus with a Verizon sim card.

For what's considered strong LTE service at my house. That's where most of my issues come from.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

"Excellent" reception? How many dots does your 7 Plus usually show for signal? How many did your 5s show?

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
"Excellent" reception? How many dots does your 7 Plus usually show for signal? How many did your 5s show?

Yes , excellent reception. It's been my experience on the Verizon network that even with one dot I still get excellent reception. I average about four dots regularly.... Except my home office.. LOL

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Yes , excellent reception. It's been my experience on the Verizon network that even with one dot I still get excellent reception. I average about four dots regularly.... Except my home office.. LOL

Me too. I'll have 1 dot in my house, walk out my driveway, and I have 4 dots. Go figure.

nogutsnoglory

May 6, 2013
Visit site
I have the iPhone 7 and the antenna reception is definitely poor compared to my previous iPhone 6 and my Blackberry Priv. I am on Verizon network. Here are my observations. Our office building has Verizon antennas on the roof (I know because I am an attorney for Verizon Wireless). My iPhone 7 cannot hold a call in my office. I understand that there is a certain amount of shadowing of the signal, but my iPhone 6 and my Blackberry Priv have no trouble holding a call. In fact my Blackberry is crystal clear. In general the iPhone 7 has pretty poor reception and call quality compared to other phones. Wish they would improve on that since this is a phone.

RealNeal

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
I noticed a definite difference on the AT&T network. I live in a rural area and used to be able to take calls on my iPhone while in my office quite well. When I upgraded to the 7, I could no longer make calls reliably from my office. Now I have to get up and go to another room to make a call, or put my iPhone in a charger and put it in one certain spot on my desk where I get 2 bars. It's very annoying.

My understanding is that the Intel radios went into the AT&T and T-Mobile devices, while Qualcomm radios went into Verison devices. The 6 / 6S AT&T devices had Qualcomm radios previously, so that explains why the 7 is worse - the Intel chips!

UT Madman

Aug 12, 2017
Visit site
Isn't it a shame that we use phrases like "I'm happy to switch my iphone to 3G so I'll get decent service" considering what we pay for these phones, and how well previous versions of the phones perform. I've had 2 iphone 7s and both have terrible cellular connection. If the signal gets weak at all, I start to break up, then the call is dropped. My first phone was purchased thru Verizon, the second was replaced at Apple store. Same issues with both. In my experience, the 7 plus is somewhat better with the connection, but both appear to have problems.

Frankly, we should all be "storming the castle" at Apple and not putting up with such poor service for the premium we pay for their hardware.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Isn't it a shame that we use phrases like "I'm happy to switch my iphone to 3G so I'll get decent service" considering what we pay for these phones, and how well previous versions of the phones perform. I've had 2 iphone 7s and both have terrible cellular connection. If the signal gets weak at all, I start to break up, then the call is dropped. My first phone was purchased thru Verizon, the second was replaced at Apple store. Same issues with both. In my experience, the 7 plus is somewhat better with the connection, but both appear to have problems.

Frankly, we should all be "storming the castle" at Apple and not putting up with such poor service for the premium we pay for their hardware.
We? I'm not having any reception issues with my iPhone 7 Plus. Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, LTE, etc., all work as intended, thankfully....;)

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2