Is the iPhone 7 Plus antenna worse?

joemd60

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
How many radios your iPhone supports.

IMHO though, I don't think
what it supports has anything to do with it. It's the antenna on the 7 Plus.
Here I am paying for a phone that I may have to put in the box, and go back to my 6.

Last edited:

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
Where it says Supports

We already know there are two versions of the iPhone; the one with the Qualcomm modem (which is the Verizon, Sprint, and Unlocked model) and the Intel modem (most phones sold locked to T-Mobile or AT&T). Since he is on Verizon, he has to have the Qualcomm modem (since the Intel doesn't support CDMA).

I have wondered if part of the issue is Apple trying to limit the Qualcomm modem, that the "fix" causes issues with the model that cause some of the flakiness that has been observed.

One last note: bars on different phones should not be compared, as various phones use different strength levels per bar. As an example, my car's Bluetooth shows the battery level of my phones with 5 bars. With my iPhone 7, between 80-100 is 5 bars and it doesn't show 0 bars until the phone's battery is almost completely spent. With a Nexus, 100% is 5 bars, 99-80 is 4 bars, and anything lower than about 20% shows no bars. Manufacturers do similar types of things with signal strength -- with some max bars is an extremely strong connection, whereas others keep 5 bars even after the connection weakens a bit. You need to go into Field Test mode and find the actual, numerical, signal strength to really be able to compare between different phones.

joemd60

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
We already know there are two versions of the iPhone; the one with the Qualcomm modem (which is the Verizon, Sprint, and Unlocked model) and the Intel modem (most phones sold locked to T-Mobile or AT&T). Since he is on Verizon, he has to have the Qualcomm modem (since the Intel doesn't support CDMA).

I have wondered if part of the issue is Apple trying to limit the Qualcomm modem, that the "fix" causes issues with the model that cause some of the flakiness that has been observed.

One last note: bars on different phones should not be compared, as various phones use different strength levels per bar. As an example, my car's Bluetooth shows the battery level of my phones with 5 bars. With my iPhone 7, between 80-100 is 5 bars and it doesn't show 0 bars until the phone's battery is almost completely spent. With a Nexus, 100% is 5 bars, 99-80 is 4 bars, and anything lower than about 20% shows no bars. Manufacturers do similar types of things with signal strength -- with some max bars is an extremely strong connection, whereas others keep 5 bars even after the connection weakens a bit. You need to go into Field Test mode and find the actual, numerical, signal strength to really be able to compare between different phones.

Here's what's on the box. IMG_0217.JPG

MooMooPrincess

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site

No td-scdma seems to be the issue but I agree with you also.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Apple would probably lose a ton of money if they admitted there are more issues as opposed to non issues with the 7 plus antenna, and than issued a recall.

I know and work with a lot of people with that have the iPhone 7/7 Plus and I don't see this being much of an issue. I would say the problem/issue isn't enough for a recall.

joemd60

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
I know and work with a lot of people with that have the iPhone 7/7 Plus and I don't see this being much of an issue. I would say the problem/issue isn't enough for a recall.

It's not much of an issue for those that are not having problems.
The internet is flooded with complaints with call and LTE issues with the 7 and 7 plus, but I do see your point as well.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
Other than needing to have my 7+ on 3G I have had no other issues. I made the switch from Android in Jan dumping Samsung. I have no issues with call quality or reception being on 3G. There are certain areas in Phx the LTE doesn't work for me. I saw the genius expert at the Apple Store and told me it's the phone's antenna. Hopefully it can be improved upon but the phone is exceptional and I am happy. Issues I had on my Sammy aren't happening on my iPhone. That's important to me. I don't really care about LTE. Whatever works is fine with me. The phone is fast. Downloads are fast. I gave no hiccups. Battery life great. Apps are good. Need I say more?

TheRandomDealio

Apr 13, 2017
Visit site
My 7+ was purchased at the local Verizon store. I live in a very small town in Kansas. Now...I don't use my phone for calls that often (I'm just not very popular I guess) but I've not had any issues with signal strength.

sangs

Trusted Member
Sep 18, 2009
Visit site
You need to go into Field Test mode and find the actual, numerical, signal strength to really be able to compare between different phones.

I leave mine in Field Test Mode permanently. My family "made" me do it for all of theirs too. Bars? We don't use no stinking bars. :D

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nijolcreative