Is the iPhone 7 Plus antenna worse?

Chuck_loads

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
On Verizon now but when I was with T-Mobile my s7 edge show more service bars compared to the 6s plus I had but I never lost calls nowhere as much on iPhone. Verizon I can't compare switched an got my 7 plus which is far better than T-Mobile in every sense where I live.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
In a practical sense I have not noticed an issue. HOWEVER looking at my 2 phones right now sitting side by side the iPhone has 2 bars and the Mi Mix has 4 bars, BUT on Speedtest, the iPhone is testing faster. But like I said I'm not really having any issues, I get a signal when I need it. When I'm deep underground sometimes in known deadzones, no signal, but no one gets signal there!

eimoaotl

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
From what I have seen the Intel and Qualcomm modems (I believe ATT and T-Mobile have Intel) are fairly comparable, as Apple supposedly limited the Qualcomm chip so it was on par with the Intel, and that the gimped Qualcomm chip is comparable to that in the iPhone 6s (hat is the generation where T-Mobile iPhones start being able to access the lower frequencies and hence better building penetration. Apple is using both suppliers this generation so that Qualcomm has to compete. I also believe Galaxy phones in general get better reception this generation.

Look through Reddit for a lot of analysis on this. One example: https://www.reddit.com/r/tmobile/comments/5qcs7u/iphone_7_plus_intel_modem_indepth_look_at_the_new/

anbidan

Oct 4, 2016
Visit site
I'm from Argentina, I've been using an iPhone 5s for almost 3 years, now I've switched to an iPhone 7 Plus, I can't find a lot of difference regarding to the signal strenght between them, in my case the iPhone 7 Plus is slightly better: Here, at work, the cellular signal is weak, I used to have 1 dot (in the signal indication bar next to the company name) with the iPhone 5s. With the 7+, in the very same spot where I use to sit; I have 2 dots

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
I did notice a difference from my iPhone 6s Plus to iPhone 7 Plus in Chicago NW Burbs (I would get less bars and drop more calls on the 7 Plus). I recently switched to sprint (couldn't afford AT&T anymore) and actually get better reception in my area. I do miss having simultaneous voice and data :-( however for my 4 lines saving $150 a month was a no brainer.

muckle_dabuckle

Apr 28, 2017
Visit site
Just comparing my Tmobile 7 Plus to my last phone, the LG V20, I'm finding little difference. My iPhone rarely goes above two bars where all of my androids have had 4 or 5. No lost calls yet and the phone seems to perform fine in low signal areas. I'm getting faster speeds in low signal areas than I did on phones showing more bars.

joemd60

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
I have complained on various threads about my 7plus.
The reception is poor at best compared to my 6.
I should have returned this phone when I was within my 14 day period. When I first got the phone I talked with Verizon several times,trying to troubleshoot the issue. Verizon replaced the phone thinking it was defective.
But I have the same issues with the second phone. We went as far as replacing the sim.
And Verizon would not do a another replacement if there wasn't any real proof the phone is defective.
I even took it to the Genius Bar for a diagnostics check.
The phone checked out fine, but nothing was mentioned about the poor antennae( which I figured was the problem)as being the issue.
I'll give Verizon this, the number of signal bars doesn't necessarily mean the difference as to the phone holding or making calls.
They have a strong network, and other phones I have had, always held a clear call with the same signal bars.
The issue with my 7plus is not dropped calls.
I am growing weary of people saying "what" from time to time during a conversation.
They complain the calls fade in and out, or grow staticky.
Verizon even witnessed the same thing during our conversations.
At the end of the day, I don't care how great the phones camera is, or it's other features.
It needs to do what it is mainly intended to do. That is make clear consistent calls, which it does not.
My apologies for the long post, but I want to also thank Verizon and the folks at the Genius Bar for their efforts, they did their best.

Last edited:

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I haven't noticed much of a difference between my 6s Plus and my 7. I use it frequently for phone calls and rarely have an issue. I'm on Verizon in an area with a pretty strong signal though.

My iPhone 6 was on Sprint so I don't have much of a comparison there. Sprint is terrible in my area regardless of the phone.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I have a theory (LOL ). I had this similar discussion with some friends when the 7 Plus was first released and we noticed that the iPhones purchased from Apple, BestBuy and Carriers had different writings on the back of the iPhone box. Some iPhone boxes have all available networks while some only supports CDMA/GSM....if you still have your iPhone 7 Plus box would you guys mind posting a photo? I'm just curious to see if that could possibly be the reason behind poor iPhone 7 Plus receptions. Here's the back of my Jet Black iPhone 7 Plus box....
3779c5429285a180d64f318ed2d420c1.jpg

For the record, I have very good reception on the Verizon network.
My iPhone was purchased from BestBuy.

Vasil Blagoev

Jun 3, 2017
Visit site
Folks has anyone else had any issues with your reception on your 7+? I have a g6 and a 256g 7+ (on T mobile) and have noticed I have more service on my g6 than 7+ some times.... Fyi they are side by side comparisons ...... Thanks folks......

Is the worst by far, I have iPhone 6+ and Google pixel xl, both have no problems where I work, the 7+ drops calls all the time and I find myself walking around the building to catch the signal. All my phones are on T-Mobile network.

joemd60

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
I have a theory (LOL ). I had this similar discussion with some friends when the 7 Plus was first released and we noticed that the iPhones purchased from Apple, BestBuy and Carriers had different writings on the back of the iPhone box. Some iPhone boxes have all available networks while some only supports CDMA/GSM....if you still have your iPhone 7 Plus box would you guys mind posting a photo? I'm just curious to see if that could possibly be the reason behind poor iPhone 7 Plus receptions. Here's the back of my Jet Black iPhone 7 Plus box....
//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170603/3779c5429285a180d64f318ed2d420c1.jpg
For the record, I have very good reception on the Verizon network.
My iPhone was purchased from BestBuy.

Spencer, I am curious now. I'll post a picture of the box when I get home from work. My 7Plus came from Verizon, actually both did.
What are we looking for on the box?

MooMooPrincess

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Tmobile here, two 6S+ phones and one 7+ phone, and one iPad Pro. All get the same reception.

Where did you get them from? T-mobile or bestbuy?

My 6s+ on att and my 7+, my 6s+ gets way better signal than my 7 everywhere. So im thinking Spencer's theory is correct along with most GSM and some CDMA chips being faulty.

ae080b9f2691db86a1df71cd247c07a3.jpg
be8786bbb11c16490b39e5223953db4d.jpg

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2