Am I showing my age if I mention that I remember the paper maps in gas stations, but that they were free? ...
    Oh heck yeah. You are indeed showing your age...(laughing)....You're approaching "geezer" status, aren't you?....
    MB64 likes this.
    05-16-2017 10:46 AM
    Am I showing my age if I mention that I remember the paper maps in gas stations, but that they were free?
    I still have paper maps in my car. They're free at interstate rest stops. They're mostly for "just in case" purposes.
    05-16-2017 10:57 AM
    I still have paper maps in my car. They're free at interstate rest stops. They're mostly for "just in case" purposes.
    I still love the Rand McNally US Road Atlas, it is fun for planning trips and to have in the car as a backup. Of course, if you go to the Rand McNally website, their front page is all about their GPS systems.
    05-16-2017 11:00 AM
    Am I showing my age if I mention that I remember the paper maps in gas stations, but that they were free? While paper maps are still exciting, I still get a sense of exploration and wonder looking at them, I use navigation (either on phone or car) while traveling. Turn by turn directions makes it so much easier, particularly in areas where roads are poorly marked (or in areas with detours because of construction).
    Not at all. I have a laminated Montana map in my glove box that has been in every car I've owned. My kids think it's a treasure map.
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    05-16-2017 11:44 AM
    I do the same JMD
    Good Luck
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    05-16-2017 06:40 PM
    I do the same JMD
    Good Luck
    Great minds think alike, my friend...
    05-16-2017 06:43 PM
    PS what the H is the matter with the word i d i o t ?
    It's not a nice word.

Many forums filter it out so you can't "namecall" other users. Fairly standard in forums.
    05-16-2017 07:13 PM
    I have never had Apple Maps direct my down the wrong "route".

As others have stated, I tend to check multiple resources particularly in unfamiliar places. No system is 100 percent perfect.
    05-16-2017 07:15 PM
    I'm a delivery driver and have dabbled in both Apple Maps and Google Maps. Google Maps is far superior in its accuracy and features.
    MB64 likes this.
    05-16-2017 07:16 PM
    After Apple Maps took me onto a route with a 2-hour delay a year or so ago, I've been all Google Maps, all the time. However, my son uses Apple Maps exclusively and says it always gets him where he needs to go. (He did remark the other day how much better the Google Maps presentation was, however.)
    05-17-2017 06:09 AM
    After Apple Maps took me onto a route with a 2-hour delay a year or so ago, I've been all Google Maps, all the time. However, my son uses Apple Maps exclusively and says it always gets him where he needs to go. (He did remark the other day how much better the Google Maps presentation was, however.)
    While I can admit Google Maps is likely better than Apple Maps, I can't agree presentation wise it's better...especially Android Auto vs CarPlay. Google maps on AA looks very blocky while Apple Maps on CarPlay looks clean, easier to read which road I'm driving on from the map (and roads I'm passing). Personal opinion.
    05-17-2017 10:17 AM
    PS what the H is the matter with the word i d i o t ?
    LOL. On a different forum, when I used the name Joe Cocker (the singer), it blocked out the last name. Go figure!
    Wotchered, Tartarus and sangs like this.
    05-17-2017 10:58 AM
    Led- perhaps we can all communicate as in the Billy Connelly version of D.I.V.O.R.C.E if anybody remembers it. Oh sorry we were talking about M.A.P.S .
    05-17-2017 11:44 AM
    While I can admit Google Maps is likely better than Apple Maps, I can't agree presentation wise it's better...especially Android Auto vs CarPlay. Google maps on AA looks very blocky while Apple Maps on CarPlay looks clean, easier to read which road I'm driving on from the map (and roads I'm passing). Personal opinion.
    Yes, I find the Apple Maps presentation to look much cleaner and it is easier for me to read. Which you prefer the look of is likely personal preference. Google Maps does have some better features, such as telling you what lane you need to be in and that they use the Waze traffic data, that you don't get with Apple Maps.
    chezm likes this.
    05-17-2017 11:49 AM
    LOL. On a different forum, when I used the name Joe Cocker (the singer), it blocked out the last name. Go figure!
    You've made me wonder how that forum might censor South Carolina University fans, particularly when they say "Go Cocks" (for those who don't follow College Sports are aren't in the US, the South Carolina teams are the Gamecocks).
    05-17-2017 11:51 AM
    I don't use Android Auto or Car Play. Just do it straight from the phone over my bluetooth connection.
    05-17-2017 02:24 PM
    I don't use Android Auto or Car Play. Just do it straight from the phone over my bluetooth connection.
    I don't either, that is my opinion just using the apps on my iPhone 7 Plus.
    05-17-2017 03:35 PM
    If I used the phone like yourself (instead of the auto versions), I'd use google maps over Apple Maps as well. Google maps is much more pleasing on a smaller screen, looks as clear as Apple Maps.
    05-17-2017 05:49 PM
    Have not use apple map but do use google map and it's ok by me
    But I am gonna try apple map soon
    05-17-2017 11:56 PM
    The local news here in Houston did a test this morning, having three teams of reporters to determine what type of navigation is best. They used Waze, Apple Maps, and the local traffic reporter merely used his traffic knowledge, and ran races to four different locations. The traffic reporter had two wins, Apple maps had two "wins", in quote because one win was a tie with Waze. They admit this was a non-scientific test, that there were other variables that effected the test.

Still, it is interesting that Apple Maps had more wins then Waze. I wish they had a fourth team that used Google Maps.
    05-18-2017 12:58 AM
    Since the topic of this thread is apple maps I have a question about it. Every time I get in my car apple maps notification pops up with the estimated time back to my home. How do I shut that off? And how does it know I'm leaving work!!
    05-18-2017 03:18 PM
    Since the topic of this thread is apple maps I have a question about it. Every time I get in my car apple maps notification pops up with the estimated time back to my home. How do I shut that off? And how does it know I'm leaving work!!
    Simply turn off the "frequent locations" option.

Settings → Privacy → Location Services → System Services
    05-18-2017 03:52 PM
    Simply turn off the "frequent locations" option.

Settings → Privacy → Location Services → System Services
    Awesome, thanks. Would have never figured that one out
    05-18-2017 04:54 PM
    Awesome, thanks. Would have never figured that one out
    You're very welcome...
    Tartarus likes this.
    05-18-2017 04:54 PM
    You're very welcome, sir...
    Ma'am
    Tartarus likes this.
    05-18-2017 04:55 PM
52 123