My iPhone 7 Plus (jet black) is stained! Help?

dejanh

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
Re: Iphone 7 plus jet black stain help?

Oh and OP, don't clean it with alcohol. All you're gonna do is remove oleophobic coating.

This is not true. I have cleaned the phone many, many times with alcohol and nothing happened to the oleophobic coating. Also, he's cleaning the back of the phone. Not front.

Statik SA1

Sep 11, 2016
Visit site

This is not true. I have cleaned the phone many, many times with alcohol and nothing happened to the oleophobic coating. Also, he's cleaning the back of the phone. Not front.

Do you have jet black? Did it come off?

dejanh

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2015
Visit site

Do you have jet black? Did it come off?
No, I don't have jet back. I've had marks from cases on other phones. My silver iPhone 7 Plus got marks from the Spigen TPU case as well, but I am able to take them off with a damp cloth. I don't know how the jet black finish would behave. You may want to be careful either was as it will likely scratch if the material is at all abrasive. Maybe cotton balls with alcohol?

arc3484

May 25, 2016
Visit site

I too have JB7+ and have been extremely careful using slickwraps clear skins and now white one. My OCD has been killing me where I wish I would have kept my matte black to begin with. It just sucks that apple really pushed the JB in their keynotes back in September as top of the line color that no other OEM is doing. But as much as it scratches, it feels like your buying into a half baked idea from apple. I miss Steve Jobs ☹️

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site

No, I don't have jet back. I've had marks from cases on other phones. My silver iPhone 7 Plus got marks from the Spigen TPU case as well, but I am able to take them off with a damp cloth. I don't know how the jet black finish would behave. You may want to be careful either was as it will likely scratch if the material is at all abrasive. Maybe cotton balls with alcohol?

So you say it's not true then you go on to admit that you don't clean a phone with a jet black finish and that you don't know how it would behave on jet black? Lol

Jet Black has coating on the back.

dejanh

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2015
Visit site

So you say it's not true then you go on to admit that you don't clean a phone with a jet black finish and that you don't know how it would behave on jet black? Lol

Jet Black has coating on the back.

#1 Alcohol does not remove oleophobic coating.
#2 Jet Black finish is not coated with oleophobic coating on the back of the phone.

I am not sure where there is confusion...

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site

#1 Alcohol does not remove oleophobic coating.
#2 Jet Black finish is not coated with oleophobic coating on the back of the phone.

Have you held a jet black iPhone without a case? The back is coated.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site

[URL=http://forums.imore.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=1]#1 [/URL] Alcohol does not remove oleophobic coating.
[URL=http://forums.imore.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=2]#2 [/URL] Jet Black finish is not coated with oleophobic coating on the back of the phone.

The confusion is, you are incorrect. A simple search would have given you the answer.
#1 . Alcohol does indeed remove the oleophobic coating. It is also strongly suggested not to use common household detergents on oleophobic coated screens.
#2 . It is also strongly suggested not to use alcohol on the Jet Black coating as it will cause deterioration of the clear coating. Basically the same concept as #1 .

Please do not let a discussion turn in to an argument with false information. Thanks.

d4niel_93

Jan 1, 2017
Visit site

I had way too many scratches with my jet black so i changed carriers and got matte black

dejanh

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2015
Visit site

The confusion is, you are incorrect. A simple search would have given you the answer.
#1 . Alcohol does indeed remove the oleophobic coating. It is also strongly suggested not to use common household detergents on oleophobic coated screens.
#2 . It is also strongly suggested not to use alcohol on the Jet Black coating as it will cause deterioration of the clear coating. Basically the same concept as #1 .

Please do not let a discussion turn in to an argument with false information. Thanks.

Respectfully, I disagree. While I can't speak for the Jet Black finish and it's coating, alcohol in itself is not a very good solvent. I have used alcohol wipes and household isopropyl alcohol to clean my screens many times. My wife does it all the time. There has never been any deterioration of the oleophobic coating. Also, it would help if you post a credible source. I'd like to see it.

Here is at lest one very credible iFixit member that agrees with my position. https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/372158/Should+you+use+alcohol+wipes+on+iPhone+screen

This matches every one of my observations on many phones owned over the years.

Last edited:

MooMooPrincess

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Iphone 7 plus jet black stain help?

Respectfully, I disagree. While I can't speak for the Jet Black finish and it's coating, alcohol in itself is not a very good solvent. I have used alcohol wipes and household isopropyl alcohol to clean my screens many times. My wife does it all the time. There has never been any deterioration of the oleophobic coating. Also, it would help if you post a credible source. I'd like to see it.

Here is at lest one very credible iFixit member that agrees with my position. https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/372158/Should+you+use+alcohol+wipes+on+iPhone+screen

Alcohol Is considered an abrasive chemical to apple I've been told.

c6c05e1ae838f2278fb05f2b4622fdfe.png
56e109880560849bb686331b632be98f.png

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site

I don't believe alcohol on a one time use would damage the coating. I think constant usage would affect the coating over time. I, in the long run, would agree with apple on staying away from that type of stuff. I could care less what one reputable member of ifixit opinion is.

dejanh

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2015
Visit site

Maybe I'm sleepy but I read this twice and there is no mention of isopropyl alcohol. Also, watch out for compressed air apparently.
I don't believe alcohol on a one time use would damage the coating. I think constant usage would affect the coating over time. I, in the long run, would agree with apple on staying away from that type of stuff. I could care less what one reputable member of ifixit opinion is.
Constant usage of anything, including lint-free cloth, will affect the coating. Also, as stated above, there is no mention of isopropyl alcohol in the referenced material. Further to this, alcohol is not an "abrasive" and there is no way Apple is lumping it into this category. Finally, let's get back to the point here.

OP is inquiring about an issue not with the screen but with the Jet Black finish of the device. Seeing as whatever coating Apple put onto the device should not be susceptible to non-abrasives and seeing as isopropyl alcohol is not a paint thinner there should be no issue at all to use it to wipe the device in an attempt to resolve the issue OP is seeing. Excess rubbing, usage of abrasive cloth, etc., notwithstanding as it would certainly damage the already fragile Jet Black finish.

Statik SA1

Sep 11, 2016
Visit site

So i had a offer from a dealer here. They would swap me a brand new 32gb any color for my stained jet black 128. Good or bad deal

arc3484

May 25, 2016
Visit site

So i had a offer from a dealer here. They would swap me a brand new 32gb any color for my stained jet black 128. Good or bad deal

It depends how you use your iPhone. I personally take a lot of photos and videos of my family and have movies downloaded from amazon so I wouldn't do the deal. You could order a different color skin and that could be an option.

MizWylie

Champion
Jul 2, 2015
Visit site

Depends on if you need the onboard storage or not. Otherwise I'd do it with a good iCloud subscription.

dejanh

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2015
Visit site

Doesn't sound like a very good deal to me, but as others have stated, it depends on my your usage needs.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR