Please, Apple, no curved display.

SkydiverTilt

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
I like the idea...pushes the boundaries on what is possible. I support any and all crazy innovations since we all seem to be stuck in boring hardware upgrade land. Maybe this is the step toward complete wrap around displays, or folding phones, or whatever I can't seem to think of.

I touched an S8 at the store the other day. Just Gorgeous. Really hoping the iPhone X is as nice. I've owned every single iPhone (to include the ROKR) and I'm not switching now, but that is a nice phone, and maybe it's that curved furturistic look that gives it that Space Odyssey jingle in by subconscious that makes me...look again :)

smart_burro

Sep 14, 2014
Visit site
I really hope Apple doesn't add a curved display to the next iPhone. No or very small bezels? Awesome. High resolution display? I'm in. Curved display? Yeah no thanks. Curved displays have zero practical purpose. Plus unless you have a case with a raised edge, which pretty much defeats the purpose of the curve, you're just asking for the screen to break. If Apple would just get rid of the top and bottom bezel I'd be happy.

anon(5140585)

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
I don't like the "curved" display (even on my 7+) for the simple fact that tempered glass protectors cannot be molded accordingly. I see no purpose for the minimal curving IMO.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Quis89: "Maybe I'm not looking hard enough but I honestly don't know what distortion you guys are talking about"

The distortion is very noticeable, especially when you hold or rest your phone at an angle to your eyes (which is just about all the time). The curve of the glass edges distort the display, similar to the distortion that you get with the glass of a Coke bottle.

The distortion is noticeable when viewing portions of photos, videos, or text at the edges of a curved display.

Been using the phone for the last 5 days. Still don't see this distortion you're talking about. The screen is beautiful. I think this is a pointless case of nitpicking for the sake of slamming a feature on a competing device. 99% of the time the text on articles and text messages doesn't even touch the curve.

Shyuan

May 15, 2015
Visit site
Well, S8 is kinda beautiful with its curved screen. But I personally will not like using a curved phone. I saw an article talking about S8 Active (which is non curved screen), I actually prefer that than S8 itself.

chezm

Trusted Member
Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Been using the phone for the last 5 days. Still don't see this distortion you're talking about. The screen is beautiful. I think this is a pointless case of nitpicking for the sake of slamming a feature on a competing device.

Really? A few video reviews I watched mention the distortion, I haven't used the device enough to see it but something is likely there. Maybe it's with specific images that give an impression of distortion, but to say it's pointless is kind of unfair. I can confidently say the light glare at the corner of the curve is very evident and would drive me nuts, I saw it every time I used the device that was reflecting s lighting source.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Really? A few video reviews I watched mention the distortion, I haven't used the device enough to see it but something is likely there. Maybe it's with specific images that give an impression of distortion, but to say it's pointless is kind of unfair. I can confidently say the light glare at the corner of the curve is very evident and would drive me nuts, I saw it every time I used the device that was reflecting s lighting source.

The glare I'll give you. I don't really notice it and it doesn't bother me but I do know what you're talking about there. Again, for me, that's not an issue. I hardly realize the glare and it's only under certain lighting conditions. But I honestly can not see this distortion lol. I don't know. I've tried all day to see what you guys are talking about lol. Oh well....if I can't see it that's a good thing. No point in finding an issue that I don't know about.

SugarMouth

Trusted Member
Apr 29, 2017
Visit site
Apple seems like a company that puts a lot of thought into how the experience will be prior to making a change. I don't see a curve like we see on the S8 happening. Take for example the bezels on the iPhone are uniform just for consistency. They have left the FPS on the front and hopefully continue to do so. They did not give in and make the Mac touch screen thank God. They have the best unintended touch rejection in the industry.

I bet we get a uniform screen with a curve similar to what we have now that is there for a refined touch experience over a "cool factor" that is distracting and creates more glare like the S8.

chezm

Trusted Member
Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
The glare I'll give you. I don't really notice it and it doesn't bother me but I do know what you're talking about there. Again, for me, that's not an issue. I hardly realize the glare and it's only under certain lighting conditions. But I honestly can not see this distortion lol. I don't know. I've tried all day to see what you guys are talking about lol. Oh well....if I can't see it that's a good thing. No point in finding an issue that I don't know about.

just to be clear, im not claiming theres a distortion just that it was mentioned in some reviews. I was more commenting on the fact you referred to its existence as purely a means of fanboyism. I respect your response to my comment though, i was coming expecting a lashing but you were...KIND. Thanks :)

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
just to be clear, im not claiming theres a distortion just that it was mentioned in some reviews. I was more commenting on the fact you referred to its existence as purely a means of fanboyism. I respect your response to my comment though, i was coming expecting a lashing but you were...KIND. Thanks :)

No need for me to be rude or anything. Opinions are opinions. What one sees another may not. I've got quite a few buddies who use these devices and none have mentioned any distortion. And I don't see it despite my best efforts. I wouldn't call it "fanboyism". But I honestly think some fans (on both sides) have tendency to nitpick the most pointless of "annoyances" in devices they dislike. Almost like they're reaching for a complaint. This, to me, seems to be one of those instances. Samsung has sold millions of these devices with curved displays. If there were distortion, you'd think it'd be a bigger story. Maybe not.

Either way, my point wasn't to attack or anything. But honestly to understand where that complaint comes from.

Matt Manahan

Jan 2, 2015
Visit site
Definitely not nitpicking on my part. I have an iPhone now but I enjoy and have mainly used Androids, including a Samsung Galaxy. It's an individual preference. and obviously, there's nothing wrong with liking a curved screen. I agree that the screen is beautiful, but I don't want one for previously mentioned reasons.

Adawg1203

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Many iPhone users/fans hated the idea of Apple releasing a larger display iPhone. Apple fans voiced their dismay over rumors of the larger iPhone. Then miraculously the iPhone plus gets released and suddenly it's Apples best selling device, and the hate turned to joy. The same will happen when Apple releases a curved display iPhone.

Easycure1974

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
I had the galaxy S8 for four weeks and the edge display is totally pointless. The screen itself is great but I would have preferred a flat. Nothing positive with edge, it creates reflections and color tint compared to the flat parts. Not much but it is still there and just plain irritating and nothing good about it. It feels great in hand - the only small positive think I can give it. But a flat screen with smaller bezels would be my top wish

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR