Please, Apple, no curved display.

bassjo

Mar 26, 2016
Visit site
It wasn't that bad on Note 7. I liked that phone a lot. Their mistake made me switch to iOS and not looking back. Good move on my part

You're absolutely correct, my Note 7's curved display never caused one moment of issues. Also you hit the nail on the head, I've recently tried the S8+ and while the hardware and the OS felt so familiar to the Note, I've become so accustomed to the caliber of apps available on iOS that I can't switch...

rsgoldens

Sep 12, 2015
Visit site
I had the S7E for about 4 months. I couldn't find a glass protector that actually worked and the regular one always peeled on the corners. I finally took it off and the screen scratched in my purse after about two days. I traded it in for a Moto Z. I have an iPhone for my personal phone and used Android for my business line. Finally traded the Moto Z in for a 7+ so now I carry two iPhones. I did just pick up a G6 because I can't help myself!

Carjackd

Trusted Member
Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
I think my biggest issue when I was using a BlackBerry Priv was the lack of proper fitting tempered Glass or screen protectors. Truthfully, the curved Glass feels really good in your hands tho

Xeneh

May 8, 2017
Visit site
If Apple ever makes a curved screen, I hope they implement it differently than Samsung. I played around with the S8+ at Best Buy yesterday. It's a beautiful phone, but I can't get past that curved display. I hate the screen distortion it causes. I'm sure I'd get used to it, but I find it distracting more than anything else. It doesn't seem to serve any purpose other than making it initially attractive.

Does anyone want a curved display? Any practical purpose for it?

Damn right. The curves feel awful in my opinion, I hope they stay without them. The phone feels uncomfortable to hold, I had the s6 edge and hated it.

dejanh

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
I would not mind some sort of curve. The curve on the Note7 and to some degree the S8+ is very tight, and it does not interfere with usage. Overall, the screen gets more of that infinity pool look which is nice.

indoctrahol

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
I agree on the curved screen. I had an S8+ for a little bit and had to return it and a lot of the problem was the screen distortion. I couldn't really un-see it.

The phone itself it spectacular. I'm left handed so the fingerprint sensor didn't bother me, it just wasn't as accurate as I needed it to be so it was a crap shoot everytime I needed to used the phone.

Needless to say, I'm back on iPhone, and I'm okay with the large bezels for now.

ViewRoyal

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
Quis89: "Maybe I'm not looking hard enough but I honestly don't know what distortion you guys are talking about"

The distortion is very noticeable, especially when you hold or rest your phone at an angle to your eyes (which is just about all the time). The curve of the glass edges distort the display, similar to the distortion that you get with the glass of a Coke bottle.

The distortion is noticeable when viewing portions of photos, videos, or text at the edges of a curved display.

ViewRoyal

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
The other problem with wrapping a glass display around the edges of a smartphone is that if the phone falls and hits the ground on one of its glass edges it is likely to crack or scratch the glass. Other phones that have metal reinforced edges are much less likely to crack or scratch the display when dropped.

MizWylie

Champion
Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
If it pushes the price of an iPhone to/over $1,000, many people will take a long hard look at Android.

Curved display would not be what pushes it. FPS integration would topple the price on the new iPhone. Curved display would push it hard that way, but dependent on whether the FPS is on the back or imbedded would seal the deal on a pricy anniversary from Apple

timocrates

Jan 24, 2017
Visit site
Sometimes I think so-called advancements in tech design are just a wild guess with no focus group research. Thin phones -where is that on your priority list? Privacy- the kid walks down the street broadcasting her intimate secrets to all within earshot and tech writers say her greatest fear is Amazon learning what sort of top she favors. And now curved screens - I'm with everyone else here; it seems a wild grab at a change hoping it will be seen as an advancement.

Jidd

Sep 17, 2014
Visit site
I especially hate the glare from lighting you get at the curves...very annoying
well I do hate the flat screen implemented right now. Looks like ****,much prefer Samsung's screen.
If even go as far as saying that if you prefer the boring 2.5D screen you deserve the new iPhone **** sandwitch they will serve you.
I do use the S8+ and by any measure it's an amazing phone even though it's still got the bizarre micro lag but it's very likely the best phone we will see in 2017, new iPhones included.
But who cares anyway since hardcore fans usually don't choose phones by logic, very much like the republican morons dancing with Trump.

grover5

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I can say I never owned an iPhone until about 3 months ago. I like the battery and consistency and stability. I like the flat screen. I do not like Samsung phones. I have a bad history with them. I do not like curved screens. I do not like trump. I did not vote for trump. I would never vote for trump and look forward to his impeachment. That's my summary.

Ziich47

May 6, 2015
Visit site
i am currently enjoying the s8. The real question should be if people are going to buy the next iPhone if it has a curved display. Will it be a deal breaker? The lack of a headphone jack was (and still is) for some but once the phone was available, majority of people were fine with it.

chezm

Trusted Member
Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
well I do hate the flat screen implemented right now. Looks like ****,much prefer Samsung's screen.
If even go as far as saying that if you prefer the boring 2.5D screen you deserve the new iPhone **** sandwitch they will serve you.
I do use the S8+ and by any measure it's an amazing phone even though it's still got the bizarre micro lag but it's very likely the best phone we will see in 2017, new iPhones included.
But who cares anyway since hardcore fans usually don't choose phones by logic, very much like the republican morons dancing with Trump.

Seems a bit harsh lol

But that is your opinion. Just an FYI, I'm only a month into using an iPhone for the first time in almost 4 years so I'm not a "hardcore fan" and don't blindly pick a device based on branding. With that said, the fact you already assume the S8+ is the best phone this year when we have yet to see other big hitters release their devices makes me laugh at your last statement.

spiff_p239

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I have no interest in a curved display as they seem to be more fragile and cause me to make more errors typing than when I use a traditional flat screen. I hope both the next iPhone and Google Pixel 2 stay very far away from a curved screen.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I also have no interest in a curved display. I actually liked the iPhone 5s design with the chaffered edges. Just make it bigger with an edge to edge (or close) design and I would be happy...LOL

MizWylie

Champion
Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
I also have no interest in a curved display. I actually liked the iPhone 5s design with the chaffered edges. Just make it bigger with an edge to edge (or close) design and I would be happy...LOL

See? I've always liked those edges too. Did they transfer them on with the SE?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2