Please, Apple, no curved display.

Matt Manahan

Jan 2, 2015
Visit site
If Apple ever makes a curved screen, I hope they implement it differently than Samsung. I played around with the S8+ at Best Buy yesterday. It's a beautiful phone, but I can't get past that curved display. I hate the screen distortion it causes. I'm sure I'd get used to it, but I find it distracting more than anything else. It doesn't seem to serve any purpose other than making it initially attractive.

Does anyone want a curved display? Any practical purpose for it?

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Samsung uses it for side menus and notifications unless you turn it off so it does have useful applications. The problem with Samsung's curved phone screens is that they curve immediately and sharply at the end instead of being a full gently curving display, which would look nicer. If it's done right I don't mind if Apple does it.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Maybe I'm not looking hard enough but I honestly don't know what distortion you guys are talking about in regards to the Samsung devices. My brother has it and loves it. I've played around with it and didn't notice any screen issues or distortion. Where specifically are we talking?

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site
Does having a curved screen add any functional benefits? Well the Blackberry Priv uses the curve on the side for the battery charging indicator and for the productivity tab. It's also a nice feeling when scrolling up and down to feel the bent glass under your fingers.

I quite like curves on the screen. Makes the device look very appealing. A device I like looking at, is something I will continue to buy.

Will Apple have a curved display? I'm going to say no. I think they will focus more on giving the customers less bezels but keeping a flat display with top quality colour reproduction and more practical improvements.

anon(5630457)

Sep 29, 2015
Visit site
My S8+ has a curved display and you're right, I don't like it. There's a distracting pink hue on both edges and it functionally doesn't work. It's just there for looks. I don't use the edge apps or edge lighting. I prefer flat screen phones and I hope the next iPhone has a flat screen.

Matt Manahan

Jan 2, 2015
Visit site
Maybe I'm not looking hard enough but I honestly don't know what distortion you guys are talking about in regards to the Samsung devices. My brother has it and loves it. I've played around with it and didn't notice any screen issues or distortion. Where specifically are we talking?

I tried finding an image to show what I noticed, but it's not as noticeable in pictures as much as in person. You've used it yourself, so it's completely a personal preference (and may seem like I'm nitpicking). What I don't like is that some of the icons, images, and occasionally a bit of text "roll" over the screen creating the distortion to which I'm referring. The extra edge functions seem like they could work just as well on a flat screen. And then there's the added struggle with finding cases and screen protectors that work well. (I'm by no means a Samsung hater or Apple fanboy--but I guess I am a curved screen hater.)

muckle_dabuckle

Apr 28, 2017
Visit site
I really dislike the curved displays. It causes distortion and glare at the curve. I've seen complaints from people who watch movies with subtitles that the subtitles sit right on the curve making them hard to read. The screen is more likely to break when dropped on the side and screen protectors more likely to peel off. It also adds zero functionality being you can side swipe a flat screen for more features/options.

TheLegoJoker

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
I had it on the Note 7 and I often inadvertently opened apps with my palm or typed incorrect letters while reaching across the screen. I don't need a curved display. It won't be a deal breaker but I just don't think it's necessary.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
It wasn't that bad on Note 7. I liked that phone a lot. Their mistake made me switch to iOS and not looking back. Good move on my part

nyc_rock

Sep 19, 2006
Visit site
Absolutely don't want a curved display. Makes screen protectors useless. Just get the bezels down to a respectable level and I'll be happy.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
I don't mind the curved screen, BUT as others have said, it should provide a useful function as Samsung and as the BlackBerry Priv, has done in the past. :) It should NOT be done purely for aesthetic reasons.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
It wasn't that bad on Note 7. I liked that phone a lot. Their mistake made me switch to iOS and not looking back. Good move on my part

I agree. The curve on the Note 7 was done well. I really liked that phone and would probably still have it if not for the battery situation. Like you, I picked up the 7 Plus and have not looked back. I am not going to pretend that I am not interested in the next Note though. I have owned every one of them, but I am also venturing further down the Apple rabbit hole than I ever have. We will see...

SugarMouth

Trusted Member
Apr 29, 2017
Visit site
I agree. The curve on the Note 7 was done well. I really liked that phone and would probably still have it if not for the battery situation. Like you, I picked up the 7 Plus and have not looked back. I am not going to pretend that I am not interested in the next Note though. I have owned every one of them, but I am also venturing further down the Apple rabbit hole than I ever have. We will see...

Interesting. I have yet to find a Note 7 user that did not love it. I had a Note 2, Note 3 and have a Note 5. The Note series IMO is the best of the Samsung offerings.

As for iPhone, I think you will notice it just does what it should do. For me the experience is excellent. Apps are more refined on iOS and love touch ID for banking, Starbucks etc... I usually always have two phones, an Android and a iPhone. The iPhone gets used 90% of the time which is the tell tail sign.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Interesting. I have yet to find a Note 7 user that did not love it. I had a Note 2, Note 3 and have a Note 5. The Note series IMO is the best of the Samsung offerings.

As for iPhone, I think you will notice it just does what it should do. For me the experience is excellent. Apps are more refined on iOS and love touch ID for banking, Starbucks etc... I usually always have two phones, an Android and a iPhone. The iPhone gets used 90% of the time which is the tell tail sign.

Agreed. I didn't mention that in addition to having every Note, I have also had every iPhone since the iPhone 4. Overall the app experience is definitely better on iOS and I too, have gotten very used to Touch ID working with so many apps. It's hard to give up those things when considering an android phone...at least for me.

MizWylie

Champion
Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
In all honesty, I really only liked the Note Edge with the one curved display. Only because I actually used the side menu for all my most used apps and loved it. It was better on the Note Edge. After that it wasn't really as great as I thought it was functionality wise on the new edge screens

RHChan84

Oct 22, 2016
Visit site
I just want to see a functional phone. The only thing I would really like to see is LED notifications that allows you to change colors for messages, emails, miss calls, etc. I also wouldn't mind seeing a flat back without the camera jump in favor of a bigger battery. Please don't go to AMOLED. Burn in happens too quick and it sucks to see burn ins. We are at a pint where each phone is minor updates. I've said this years ago and still say it, there's not much more you can do to a phone these days.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73