If it's OLED, I am happy! I really don't mind curved or not.
    05-24-2017 11:28 AM
    Well, S8 is kinda beautiful with its curved screen. But I personally will not like using a curved phone. I saw an article talking about S8 Active (which is non curved screen), I actually prefer that than S8 itself.
    05-24-2017 12:27 PM
    Been using the phone for the last 5 days. Still don't see this distortion you're talking about. The screen is beautiful. I think this is a pointless case of nitpicking for the sake of slamming a feature on a competing device.
    Really? A few video reviews I watched mention the distortion, I haven't used the device enough to see it but something is likely there. Maybe it's with specific images that give an impression of distortion, but to say it's pointless is kind of unfair. I can confidently say the light glare at the corner of the curve is very evident and would drive me nuts, I saw it every time I used the device that was reflecting s lighting source.
    05-24-2017 01:42 PM
    Really? A few video reviews I watched mention the distortion, I haven't used the device enough to see it but something is likely there. Maybe it's with specific images that give an impression of distortion, but to say it's pointless is kind of unfair. I can confidently say the light glare at the corner of the curve is very evident and would drive me nuts, I saw it every time I used the device that was reflecting s lighting source.
    The glare I'll give you. I don't really notice it and it doesn't bother me but I do know what you're talking about there. Again, for me, that's not an issue. I hardly realize the glare and it's only under certain lighting conditions. But I honestly can not see this distortion lol. I don't know. I've tried all day to see what you guys are talking about lol. Oh well....if I can't see it that's a good thing. No point in finding an issue that I don't know about.
    05-24-2017 03:37 PM
    Apple seems like a company that puts a lot of thought into how the experience will be prior to making a change. I don't see a curve like we see on the S8 happening. Take for example the bezels on the iPhone are uniform just for consistency. They have left the FPS on the front and hopefully continue to do so. They did not give in and make the Mac touch screen thank God. They have the best unintended touch rejection in the industry.

I bet we get a uniform screen with a curve similar to what we have now that is there for a refined touch experience over a "cool factor" that is distracting and creates more glare like the S8.
    05-24-2017 06:09 PM
    The glare I'll give you. I don't really notice it and it doesn't bother me but I do know what you're talking about there. Again, for me, that's not an issue. I hardly realize the glare and it's only under certain lighting conditions. But I honestly can not see this distortion lol. I don't know. I've tried all day to see what you guys are talking about lol. Oh well....if I can't see it that's a good thing. No point in finding an issue that I don't know about.
    just to be clear, im not claiming theres a distortion just that it was mentioned in some reviews. I was more commenting on the fact you referred to its existence as purely a means of fanboyism. I respect your response to my comment though, i was coming expecting a lashing but you were...KIND. Thanks
    05-25-2017 09:49 AM
    just to be clear, im not claiming theres a distortion just that it was mentioned in some reviews. I was more commenting on the fact you referred to its existence as purely a means of fanboyism. I respect your response to my comment though, i was coming expecting a lashing but you were...KIND. Thanks
    No need for me to be rude or anything. Opinions are opinions. What one sees another may not. I've got quite a few buddies who use these devices and none have mentioned any distortion. And I don't see it despite my best efforts. I wouldn't call it "fanboyism". But I honestly think some fans (on both sides) have tendency to nitpick the most pointless of "annoyances" in devices they dislike. Almost like they're reaching for a complaint. This, to me, seems to be one of those instances. Samsung has sold millions of these devices with curved displays. If there were distortion, you'd think it'd be a bigger story. Maybe not.

Either way, my point wasn't to attack or anything. But honestly to understand where that complaint comes from.
    chezm likes this.
    05-25-2017 09:55 AM
    Definitely not nitpicking on my part. I have an iPhone now but I enjoy and have mainly used Androids, including a Samsung Galaxy. It's an individual preference. and obviously, there's nothing wrong with liking a curved screen. I agree that the screen is beautiful, but I don't want one for previously mentioned reasons.
    05-25-2017 11:09 AM
    Many iPhone users/fans hated the idea of Apple releasing a larger display iPhone. Apple fans voiced their dismay over rumors of the larger iPhone. Then miraculously the iPhone plus gets released and suddenly it's Apples best selling device, and the hate turned to joy. The same will happen when Apple releases a curved display iPhone.
    05-26-2017 12:11 AM
    I had the galaxy S8 for four weeks and the edge display is totally pointless. The screen itself is great but I would have preferred a flat. Nothing positive with edge, it creates reflections and color tint compared to the flat parts. Not much but it is still there and just plain irritating and nothing good about it. It feels great in hand - the only small positive think I can give it. But a flat screen with smaller bezels would be my top wish
    Matt Manahan likes this.
    05-26-2017 12:22 AM
    Many iPhone users/fans hated the idea of Apple releasing a larger display iPhone. Apple fans voiced their dismay over rumors of the larger iPhone. Then miraculously the iPhone plus gets released and suddenly it's Apples best selling device, and the hate turned to joy. The same will happen when Apple releases a curved display iPhone.
    I always wanted the iPhone to have a larger display. That's why I never got one until they did. I don't want a curved display--unless they can somehow implement it better. Occasionally, Apple surprises us.
    05-26-2017 08:31 AM
    I always wanted the iPhone to have a larger display. That's why I never got one until they did. I don't want a curved display--unless they can somehow implement it better. Occasionally, Apple surprises us.
    Very true. I will say Apple has the gift of taking what others have done and bringing it to new heights.

I believe if they do the curved screen thing, it will be done with the level of quality we come to know them for.

There is pressure on Apple to present something BIG to meet expectations. Primarily, because the next device will represent a milestone for the iPhone.

Will Apple be able to WOW us with the next iPhone iteration. We shall see.
    Matt Manahan likes this.
    05-26-2017 03:03 PM
    I can't agree with you more. Everyone will still buy the new iPhone if it has a curved screen. It will be the latest and greatest iPhone and apple fanboys will have to have it just because it's the newest technology of the iPhone.
    05-26-2017 08:59 PM
    I can't agree with you more. Everyone will still buy the new iPhone if it has a curved screen. It will be the latest and greatest iPhone and apple fanboys will have to have it just because it's the newest technology of the iPhone.
    Of course I will buy it - but I would still have preferred it with a flat screen
    chezm likes this.
    05-27-2017 12:47 AM
    It will be the latest and greatest iPhone and apple fanboys will have to have it just because it's the newest technology of the iPhone.
    Apple fanboys and million upon millions of others. There's a reason it's the top selling phone in the world.

I'm not crazy about a curved display BUT an edge to edge with a smaller bezel would be awesome.
    05-27-2017 06:11 AM
    Of course I will buy it - but I would still have preferred it with a flat screen
    I think it'll be difficult for me to give up the flat screen, I just prefer it too much over the current curved displays on the market. Even when comparing the S8 to the G6, I much prefer the G6 for that exact reason. But as someone else said, apple does a very good job of taking others have done and improving on it so it's possible their iteration of curved display will implemented "better"? All the leaks of the iPhone 8 don't show a curved display, so I'm betting Apple isn't sold on it yet either but we will wait and see.
    libra89 and camaroz1985 like this.
    05-28-2017 10:11 AM
    I been using both a 7 Plus and Galaxy S8 Plus. To be honest I thought the curved screen might present an issue but to date I'm really liking the S8 Plus. Love my 7 Plus as well. If Apple were to present a curved screen I would not hesitate to get one.
    Matt Manahan likes this.
    05-29-2017 04:31 AM
    I think it'll be difficult for me to give up the flat screen, I just prefer it too much over the current curved displays on the market. Even when comparing the S8 to the G6, I much prefer the G6 for that exact reason. But as someone else said, apple does a very good job of taking others have done and improving on it so it's possible their iteration of curved display will implemented "better"? All the leaks of the iPhone 8 don't show a curved display, so I'm betting Apple isn't sold on it yet either but we will wait and see.
    I agree, but think we are in the minority in regards to preferring the flat screen. I don't even like the partially curved edges on the 6 and up. For me it is mostly about using screen protectors, which I do on all devices, whether people think I need to or not. The curved screens make it harder to find a good glass protector, not impossible, but harder.

I feel like an old man complaining about the kids and their "new fangled" curved screens haha
    Matt Manahan likes this.
    05-30-2017 12:21 PM
    It shall be interesting to see what Apple does.
    05-30-2017 04:46 PM
    I agree, but think we are in the minority in regards to preferring the flat screen. I don't even like the partially curved edges on the 6 and up. For me it is mostly about using screen protectors, which I do on all devices, whether people think I need to or not. The curved screens make it harder to find a good glass protector, not impossible, but harder.

I feel like an old man complaining about the kids and their "new fangled" curved screens haha
    I'm not sure if we are the minority, I would be more certain it's 50/50 these days. With that said, I honestly don't see any added value of the curved display, has nothing to do with the issues you have mentioned. I still don't want it, no matter how old I sound! Now...where's my walker so I can go to the corner and wave my cane at some dangit kids!
    Matt Manahan likes this.
    05-30-2017 05:41 PM
    One thing I have noticed that people don't like about curved displays is the reflection and glare on the sides of the devices. To me, I didn't really notice it that much but to some it matters. I think Apple will go the same route as LG and provide a flat edge to edge display, rather than a curved one.

Even if it is curved, as you said, people will still buy it because everything else about the device they love. Camera, performance, massive storage and now wireless charging. 😃 Just like Apple's Macbook with 1 port, it got a lot of heat but people still bought it.
    05-31-2017 12:57 AM
71 123