I would not mind some sort of curve. The curve on the Note7 and to some degree the S8+ is very tight, and it does not interfere with usage. Overall, the screen gets more of that infinity pool look which is nice.
    05-20-2017 09:28 AM
    I agree on the curved screen. I had an S8+ for a little bit and had to return it and a lot of the problem was the screen distortion. I couldn't really un-see it.

The phone itself it spectacular. I'm left handed so the fingerprint sensor didn't bother me, it just wasn't as accurate as I needed it to be so it was a crap shoot everytime I needed to used the phone.

Needless to say, I'm back on iPhone, and I'm okay with the large bezels for now.
    05-20-2017 10:18 AM
    Quis89: "Maybe I'm not looking hard enough but I honestly don't know what distortion you guys are talking about"

The distortion is very noticeable, especially when you hold or rest your phone at an angle to your eyes (which is just about all the time). The curve of the glass edges distort the display, similar to the distortion that you get with the glass of a Coke bottle.

The distortion is noticeable when viewing portions of photos, videos, or text at the edges of a curved display.
    Matt Manahan likes this.
    05-20-2017 10:57 AM
    The other problem with wrapping a glass display around the edges of a smartphone is that if the phone falls and hits the ground on one of its glass edges it is likely to crack or scratch the glass. Other phones that have metal reinforced edges are much less likely to crack or scratch the display when dropped.
    Matt Manahan likes this.
    05-20-2017 11:02 AM
    If it pushes the price of an iPhone to/over $1,000, many people will take a long hard look at Android.
    05-20-2017 11:23 AM
    If it pushes the price of an iPhone to/over $1,000, many people will take a long hard look at Android.
    Curved display would not be what pushes it. FPS integration would topple the price on the new iPhone. Curved display would push it hard that way, but dependent on whether the FPS is on the back or imbedded would seal the deal on a pricy anniversary from Apple
    05-20-2017 12:11 PM
    Sometimes I think so-called advancements in tech design are just a wild guess with no focus group research. Thin phones -where is that on your priority list? Privacy- the kid walks down the street broadcasting her intimate secrets to all within earshot and tech writers say her greatest fear is Amazon learning what sort of top she favors. And now curved screens - I'm with everyone else here; it seems a wild grab at a change hoping it will be seen as an advancement.
    Matt Manahan and SkydiverTilt like this.
    05-20-2017 04:45 PM
    I especially hate the glare from lighting you get at the curves...very annoying
    well I do hate the flat screen implemented right now. Looks like ****,much prefer Samsung's screen.
    If even go as far as saying that if you prefer the boring 2.5D screen you deserve the new iPhone **** sandwitch they will serve you.
    I do use the S8+ and by any measure it's an amazing phone even though it's still got the bizarre micro lag but it's very likely the best phone we will see in 2017, new iPhones included.
    But who cares anyway since hardcore fans usually don't choose phones by logic, very much like the republican morons dancing with Trump.
    iamdld likes this.
    05-20-2017 05:12 PM
    I can say I never owned an iPhone until about 3 months ago. I like the battery and consistency and stability. I like the flat screen. I do not like Samsung phones. I have a bad history with them. I do not like curved screens. I do not like trump. I did not vote for trump. I would never vote for trump and look forward to his impeachment. That's my summary.
    TgeekB and Matt Manahan like this.
    05-20-2017 05:38 PM
    i am currently enjoying the s8. The real question should be if people are going to buy the next iPhone if it has a curved display. Will it be a deal breaker? The lack of a headphone jack was (and still is) for some but once the phone was available, majority of people were fine with it.
    05-20-2017 06:04 PM
    well I do hate the flat screen implemented right now. Looks like ****,much prefer Samsung's screen.
    If even go as far as saying that if you prefer the boring 2.5D screen you deserve the new iPhone **** sandwitch they will serve you.
    I do use the S8+ and by any measure it's an amazing phone even though it's still got the bizarre micro lag but it's very likely the best phone we will see in 2017, new iPhones included.
    But who cares anyway since hardcore fans usually don't choose phones by logic, very much like the republican morons dancing with Trump.
    Seems a bit harsh lol

But that is your opinion. Just an FYI, I'm only a month into using an iPhone for the first time in almost 4 years so I'm not a "hardcore fan" and don't blindly pick a device based on branding. With that said, the fact you already assume the S8+ is the best phone this year when we have yet to see other big hitters release their devices makes me laugh at your last statement.
    05-20-2017 06:11 PM
    I really don't like the curved screens. If they go that rought I hope they have another options for the height end model.
    05-20-2017 10:27 PM
    I have no interest in a curved display as they seem to be more fragile and cause me to make more errors typing than when I use a traditional flat screen. I hope both the next iPhone and Google Pixel 2 stay very far away from a curved screen.
    05-21-2017 08:39 AM
    I also have no interest in a curved display. I actually liked the iPhone 5s design with the chaffered edges. Just make it bigger with an edge to edge (or close) design and I would be happy...LOL
    Matt Manahan likes this.
    05-21-2017 08:56 AM
    I also have no interest in a curved display. I actually liked the iPhone 5s design with the chaffered edges. Just make it bigger with an edge to edge (or close) design and I would be happy...LOL
    See? I've always liked those edges too. Did they transfer them on with the SE?
    Spencerdl likes this.
    05-21-2017 09:40 AM
    I'm not sure. I went from the 5s straight to the larger screen 6 Plus and never looked back...LOL
    05-21-2017 09:42 AM
    I like the idea...pushes the boundaries on what is possible. I support any and all crazy innovations since we all seem to be stuck in boring hardware upgrade land. Maybe this is the step toward complete wrap around displays, or folding phones, or whatever I can't seem to think of.

I touched an S8 at the store the other day. Just Gorgeous. Really hoping the iPhone X is as nice. I've owned every single iPhone (to include the ROKR) and I'm not switching now, but that is a nice phone, and maybe it's that curved furturistic look that gives it that Space Odyssey jingle in by subconscious that makes me...look again
    05-21-2017 11:15 AM
    I really hope Apple doesn't add a curved display to the next iPhone. No or very small bezels? Awesome. High resolution display? I'm in. Curved display? Yeah no thanks. Curved displays have zero practical purpose. Plus unless you have a case with a raised edge, which pretty much defeats the purpose of the curve, you're just asking for the screen to break. If Apple would just get rid of the top and bottom bezel I'd be happy.
    Matt Manahan and Spencerdl like this.
    05-21-2017 07:13 PM
    *I *sandwhich. Funny that you would refer to anyone as a moron.
    05-21-2017 07:18 PM
    *I *sandwhich. Funny that you would refer to anyone as a moron.
    Who is "you"? Please use the quote option when addressing someone specific.
    Spencerdl likes this.
    05-21-2017 07:58 PM
    So, having read that lot, might I suggest that Apple spend it's money on something useful ?
    05-22-2017 08:29 AM
    Yes they did
    05-23-2017 08:41 AM
    I don't like the "curved" display (even on my 7+) for the simple fact that tempered glass protectors cannot be molded accordingly. I see no purpose for the minimal curving IMO.
    05-23-2017 09:27 AM
    There is something called Liquid Armor that will skyrocket in popularity if they realease a curved screen.
    05-24-2017 11:13 AM
    Quis89: "Maybe I'm not looking hard enough but I honestly don't know what distortion you guys are talking about"

The distortion is very noticeable, especially when you hold or rest your phone at an angle to your eyes (which is just about all the time). The curve of the glass edges distort the display, similar to the distortion that you get with the glass of a Coke bottle.

The distortion is noticeable when viewing portions of photos, videos, or text at the edges of a curved display.
    Been using the phone for the last 5 days. Still don't see this distortion you're talking about. The screen is beautiful. I think this is a pointless case of nitpicking for the sake of slamming a feature on a competing device. 99% of the time the text on articles and text messages doesn't even touch the curve.
    05-24-2017 11:19 AM
73 123