iPhone 7 Plus or Galaxy S8+?

RebecaCA

Jul 11, 2017
Visit site
Hi Falconer,from my personal opinion, i think people couldn't catch up with the trend of mobile phone, because even new mobile phones are likely to be quickly replaced, both iphone 7 plus and S8 plus are the top ones of their series. i like better S8 plus better with screen protector glass. everything is perfect so far.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
It looks like a nice device. I'd probably use it as a secondary device, but not as my daily driver. I need something that works without having to worry about it and iOS works.

RobertP1

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2016
Visit site
I have been rocking the S8+ along side with my 7+ for the past month or so.. Here is a quick list of thoughts on the two phones..

WINNER

Battery Life Galaxy S8+
Display Galaxy S8+
Keyboard Iphone 7+
Camera Iphone 7+ (slightly)
Wireless Charging Galaxy S8+
Siri vs Bixby Iphone 7+
Apple Pay vs Samsung Pay Galaxy S8+
OS (totally subjective) Iphone 7+
Speed Iphone7+
Gaming Galaxy S8+
Call Quality Galaxy S8+
Build Quality Galaxy S8+
Headphone Jack Galaxy S8+
Messaging Iphone 7+
Apps Tie (they both have everything I need)
Support Duh... Apple Store!!!!!!

As you can see, there are many great features with both of them. What it came down to for me personally, I thought the Galaxy was the better overall phone, but will it become my Daily Driver?? NO WAY!!!

My entire family is on Iphones... iMessage, FaceTime, Find Friends, Working seamlessly with my MacBook, Ipad, Apple Watch.... Those are the features that I count on everyday and the thought of not having my entire family and digital life working in harmony is a scary thought.

The thought of not having the Apple store to run down to if I have a problem is troubling to say the least

I will keep the S8+ for a secondary phone and will enjoy the heck out of it, but for me, it is the 7+ as my primary and my SE 64gb as my back-up

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I have been rocking the S8+ along side with my 7+ for the past month or so.. Here is a quick list of thoughts on the two phones..

WINNER

Battery Life Galaxy S8+
Display Galaxy S8+
Keyboard Iphone 7+
Siri vs Bixby Iphone 7+
Speed Iphone7+
Gaming Galaxy S8+
Call Quality Galaxy S8+
Build Quality Galaxy S8+
Messaging Iphone 7+

As you can see, there are many great features with both of them. What it came down to for me personally, I thought the Galaxy was the better overall phone, but will it become my Daily Driver?? NO WAY!!!

My entire family is on Iphones... iMessage, FaceTime, Find Friends, Working seamlessly with my MacBook, Ipad, Apple Watch.... Those are the features that I count on everyday and the thought of not having my entire family and digital life working in harmony is a scary thought.

The thought of not having the Apple store to run down to if I have a problem is troubling to say the least

I will keep the S8+ for a secondary phone and will enjoy the heck out of it, but for me, it is the 7+ as my primary and my SE 64gb as my back-up

I've been using both about the same amount of time. I think your assessment is very fair. I'm surprised you gave gaming to the S8 but I can't argue it either. Games look better on the S8 for sure, but I would still rather game on the 7 Plus. I don't play much though so maybe it's just me. Camera is a draw for me. The S8 is better at times and the 7 Plus is better at other times. Probably depends on use. Siri and Bixby are two different animals. I don't think Samsung is trying to make Bixby a Siri type assistant. Bixby is already better than Siri with a lot of things, but then Siri can do somethings that Bixby can't. I've never thought Siri was very good anyway. I use it for the couple things it does well and use Google for everything else.

Overall a great assessment though. At the end of the day, you can't beat Apple's service and continuity. I guess it's all about what matters most to each person though.

RobertP1

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2016
Visit site
I've been using both about the same amount of time. I think your assessment is very fair. I'm surprised you gave gaming to the S8 but I can't argue it either. Games look better on the S8 for sure, but I would still rather game on the 7 Plus. I don't play much though so maybe it's just me. Camera is a draw for me. The S8 is better at times and the 7 Plus is better at other times. Probably depends on use. Siri and Bixby are two different animals. I don't think Samsung is trying to make Bixby a Siri type assistant. Bixby is already better than Siri with a lot of things, but then Siri can do somethings that Bixby can't. I've never thought Siri was very good anyway. I use it for the couple things it does well and use Google for everything else.

Overall a great assessment though. At the end of the day, you can't beat Apple's service and continuity. I guess it's all about what matters most to each person though.

I am not a huge gamer and the bezels on the 7+ are handy when gaming, but I gave the edge to the S8+ because of the screen..everything looks so beautiful

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I am not a huge gamer and the bezels on the 7+ are handy when gaming, but I gave the edge to the S8+ because of the screen..everything looks so beautiful

No argument there. That screen is awesome and everything does run very smoothly on both. I think you are probably right though. It's the bezels on the 7 Plus that are actually nice when playing a game.

tr1ad

Trusted Member
Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Screen is awesome, and battery life as well.

But even though FaceTime was/is hardly used by me until recently, I had to return to apple.

I'm back out to work now and at home is either the spare 5S or the iPad mini... To check in on my kids and the nanny it's easier to use FaceTime ... The nanny isn't tech savvy so it's just back to apple for what it's good for.. ease of use.

I miss the S8+ though for the battery life

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site

Yes, the comparison shouldn't be Bixby vs. Siri, it is Google Assistant vs. Siri; despite the fact that Samsung downplays Google Assistant in favor of Bixby. From what I've seen, Google Assistant is far better than Siri. It seems like Siri just hasn't been a priority for Apple recently; I'm hoping they'll make improvements to Siri with iOS 11, to bring it more in line with Google Assistant.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Yes, the comparison shouldn't be Bixby vs. Siri, it is Google Assistant vs. Siri; despite the fact that Samsung downplays Google Assistant in favor of Bixby. From what I've seen, Google Assistant is far better than Siri. It seems like Siri just hasn't been a priority for Apple recently; I'm hoping they'll make improvements to Siri with iOS 11, to bring it more in line with Google Assistant.

Agreed. Bixby is taking a different approach than any of the other assistants in my opinion. I think it's a great compliment to google assistant.

chezm

Trusted Member
Nov 12, 2013
Visit site

WINNER

Battery Life Galaxy S8+
Display Galaxy S8+
Keyboard Iphone 7+
Siri vs Bixby Iphone 7+
Speed Iphone7+
Gaming Galaxy S8+
Call Quality Galaxy S8+
Build Quality Galaxy S8+
Messaging Iphone 7+

Seems like a fair assessment of your experience, being someone who briefly used the S8 I can see why you have the upper hand to it over 7+ is most of the those areas.

The ones I don't think are fair to add are wireless charging, headphone jack and bixby/Siri since we all know while Siri is sub par bixby seems like a disaster.

Also I find it interesting you have build quality to S8. Not knocking the device, it's beautiful design is a wonder to hold and visually pleasing. However when I consider build quality I include physical durability, as I tend to appreciate heftier devices which I know the 7+ is but when I held the S8+ without a case it feels very fragile. Now mine you I haven't drop tested either but that's just the perception I have holding both without the case.

Cool assessment

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site

This! Google Assistant is far superior to siri.

anon(62000)

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
I've jumped back and forth between the two platforms pretty regularly. As much as I like the S8+ and am looking forward to the Note 8, I'm always drawn back to iOS. iMessage, the on-time updates and lack of carrier crap always bring me back. Not to mention the plethora of iPads and iPhones in the house... my wife will not use anything other than an iPhone and iPad. A monster of my own creation. LOL

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site

WINNER

Battery Life Galaxy S8+
Display Galaxy S8+
Keyboard Iphone 7+
Siri vs Bixby Iphone 7+
Speed Iphone7+
Gaming Galaxy S8+
Call Quality Galaxy S8+
Build Quality Galaxy S8+
Messaging Iphone 7+

I agree with all but the camera. Yes iPhone 7 Plus does take a better portrait shot but the Sammy takes much better low light shots. And I take a lot more of low light shots then portrait mode.

RobertP1

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2016
Visit site
The camera is very subjective. When I talk camera, I am talking about pulling it out of my pocket and clicking away. I don't use pro mode or any of the many features they both have. When something comes up and I want to capture it, my camera needs to be a quick and get good results. Both phones do this, but give the slight edge to the 7+ because of the second camera on the back The zoom is really good.

Last edited:

RobertP1

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2016
Visit site
I've jumped back and forth between the two platforms pretty regularly. As much as I like the S8+ and am looking forward to the Note 8, I'm always drawn back to iOS. iMessage, the on-time updates and lack of carrier crap always bring me back. Not to mention the plethora of iPads and iPhones in the house... my wife will not use anything other than an iPhone and iPad. A monster of my own creation. LOL

That is exactly my (First World) dilemma. I find that my Iphone can be boring at times and Android is much more fun to play with, but after you play for awhile, it is comforting to go back to what you know will work great and be super reliable.

I do not underestimate the value of having the Apple store to fix any issue that I may have with the phone. I can only imagine the hoops that you have to jump through when your Samsung goes south on you!

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
The camera is very subjective. When I talk camera, I am talking about pulling it out of my pocket and clicking away. I don't use pro mode or any of the many features they both have. When something comes up and I want to capture it, my camera needs to be a quick and get good results. Both phones do this, but give the slight edge to the 7+ because of the second camera on the back The zoom is really good.

The just "pulling it out of my pocket" scenario is mostly my scenario 99 out of 100 and I'm sure I'd be just as satisfied with an S8 as well.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro