iPhone 7 Plus or Galaxy S8+?

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
Yeah they need that extra quarter of sales to try and get out ahead of Apple as much as they can. As soon as the iPhone 8 is announced preorders will be insane and lines long AF. Nothing in the Android world comes close to the excitement and build up iPhone gets. Even if Samsung had more of a physical retail presence I still don't think those stores would see the crazy lines that Apple Stores do for iPhone releases.

The Samsung S series has been a first quarter release for years, as long as I can remember. It has nothing to do with Apple, instead it is because they release the new Note in September, so it is to stagger the release of their two flagship phones. From some of the early reports, it sounds like the Note will be an incredible phone this year.

As for the lines at Apple Stores, that is a negative not a positive. The reason for the lines is that Apple releases the phone before they build up sufficient back log of devices for demand; if you don't get in line you aren't going to get the new iPhone on release day. Apple creates an artificial shortage, which causes the lines. By contrast, Samsung doesn't have those shortages, they manufacture enough devices that they can meet the demand for their phones.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a Samsung fan. I was never a fan of TouchWiz, though it does look better this year. I also like timely updates, something Samsung has had issues with.

o4liberty

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
I picked up the S8 plus coming from the 7 plus and by far the S8 plus is the better device all around. It super fast no lag at all and the camera is awesome. Battery last forever with super fast charging. Definitely take a look at one it's well worth it.

popkurn611

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site
I picked up the S8 plus coming from the 7 plus and by far the S8 plus is the better device all around. It super fast no lag at all and the camera is awesome. Battery last forever with super fast charging. Definitely take a look at one it's well worth it.

Might be a better device. Won't argue that but it is lacking iMessage and FaceTime! I won't go back to android BC I would miss that part of iOS too much

o4liberty

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
Might be a better device. Won't argue that but it is lacking iMessage and FaceTime! I won't go back to android BC I would miss that part of iOS too much
You are right about that but I have my iPad pro and MacBooks when I need to use those features. I got a great deal on the S8 so I couldn't refuse to pick it up. I am blown away about how well it works.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
So I caved in last Friday and picked up an S8+. It has been 7 months since I have had an android phone in my hands. All the positive feelings that I had about the Note 7 came back to me within a few minutes of using the S8+. It feels great in the hand. It's as fast or faster than my 7 Plus. Battery life after 5 solid days of use seems to be about on par with the 7 Plus. As long as I get a full day, I am good. Obviously the screen is amazing. I won't dwell on it since it's been beaten to death.

The software is where I notice the biggest improvements with Samsung. It is much lighter and better looking. I have not felt the need to install a launcher for the first time ever on a Samsung device. I still might(assuming I keep the S8) since there are things Nova offers that I really like.

I think people have blown the fingerprint location "issue" way out of proportion. It took me about half a day to get used to it. I have miss hit it since then. Of course, I only use it when I am outside because when I am inside the iris scanner works just as fast. Press the home button and by the time my eyes meet the screen the phone has unlocked. That's inside though. Outside it's not nearly as good, but that is fine. The fingerprint scanner works great.

So is it enough to make me give up my 7 plus? That is a tough question that I am still thinking about. If I did not have a family so devoted to Apple, I would not even think about it. It would be S8+ and I wouldn't look back. It's not that I dislike the 7 Plus or iOS. Android has always been where I am most comfortable. I can make any phone work for me including blackberry or windows phone. Yep, even those guys. There are things I appreciate about iOS and certainly miss. As these operating systems improve each year it becomes more difficult for me to have a favorite. It's still android for me followed closely by iOS.

I have been saying that I am more excited for iOS 11 than the iPhone 8 and I still stand by that. I want to see what Apple is going to change with iOS 11 and I think that will be my deciding factor. I don't expect much to be honest, but we will see in a few days what actually happens. Until then I am going to give the S8+ a full testing and see where I am next week.

chezm

Trusted Member
Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
I have been saying that I am more excited for iOS 11 than the iPhone 8 and I still stand by that. I want to see what Apple is going to change with iOS 11 and I think that will be my deciding factor. I don't expect much to be honest, but we will see in a few days what actually happens. Until then I am going to give the S8+ a full testing and see where I am next week.

Glad to see you're enjoying the S8+, seems like going with it in the end was a choice that was worth investing time to consider and worked out. I am also very excited , or i guess better to say "looking forward" to iOS11 in hopes that more features are added that close the gap with Android.

Everyone that gets an S8/+ always says "I love and and im never looking back" then a bunch of you come back...not everyone but a good number of you. We will wait and see how long your love with the device lasts =p (kidding). Keep us posted on your thoughts going forward! Cheers

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Glad to see you're enjoying the S8+, seems like going with it in the end was a choice that was worth investing time to consider and worked out. I am also very excited , or i guess better to say "looking forward" to iOS11 in hopes that more features are added that close the gap with Android.

Everyone that gets an S8/+ always says "I love and and im never looking back" then a bunch of you come back...not everyone but a good number of you. We will wait and see how long your love with the device lasts =p (kidding). Keep us posted on your thoughts going forward! Cheers

LOL. Thank you. That's exactly why I didn't say(at least I don't think I did) that I won't look back. I love my 7 Plus. I just really like a lot of things that android does and the S8+ is a fantastic device. Honestly, the hardest part for me right now is not using my Apple Watch. That may be something I can't get past. It is unreal how attached I have become to the watch.

I am just going to give the S8+ a good and fair amount of time before I draw any lines in the sand. Even then, I never would say I am never coming back or if I stay with the iPhone, I would never say I won't switch in the future. Like I said, I can make any phone work for me and get what I need. There are just some things I like better in android and some things I like better in iOS.

chezm

Trusted Member
Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Honestly, the hardest part for me right now is not using my Apple Watch. That may be something I can't get past. It is unreal how attached I have become to the watch.

I am really intrigued by the Apple Watch but hesitate due to my last smartwatch experience being an average experience (moto 360). I like my Fitbit Charge HR but looking to upgrade soon, i read the article about how the Apple Watch is much more accurate than the Fitbit which caught my eye. I love Fibit because i can challenge my wife, sister, cousins and friends...its implemented so well. I have no interest in reading news on my wrist or receiving texts to read, i just want a very good fitness watch with cool time displays. Would you consider the apple watch for someone like me or a waste of money?

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I am really intrigued by the Apple Watch but hesitate due to my last smartwatch experience being an average experience (moto 360). I like my Fitbit Charge HR but looking to upgrade soon, i read the article about how the Apple Watch is much more accurate than the Fitbit which caught my eye. I love Fibit because i can challenge my wife, sister, cousins and friends...its implemented so well. I have no interest in reading news on my wrist or receiving texts to read, i just want a very good fitness watch with cool time displays. Would you consider the apple watch for someone like me or a waste of money?

I actually have a Fitbit Charge 2 that I was using prior to the AW2. I love my Fitbit. I don't use it since the Apple Watch does everything I need fitness wise plus everything else that I want. If you are only looking fitness, then I would stick with the Fitbit. I think it does a great job and if you don't want or need all the other stuff, the watch is just too much money to spend. At least that's my opinion. I use the AW for fitness, messages, calls and a few other apps that are useful, but I could live without if they were not there. Siri is more usable on the watch that the iPhone in my opinion. She seems to understand me better on the watch.

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
So I caved in last Friday and picked up an S8+. It has been 7 months since I have had an android phone in my hands. All the positive feelings that I had about the Note 7 came back to me within a few minutes of using the S8+. It feels great in the hand. It's as fast or faster than my 7 Plus. Battery life after 5 solid days of use seems to be about on par with the 7 Plus. As long as I get a full day, I am good. Obviously the screen is amazing. I won't dwell on it since it's been beaten to death.

The software is where I notice the biggest improvements with Samsung. It is much lighter and better looking. I have not felt the need to install a launcher for the first time ever on a Samsung device. I still might(assuming I keep the S8) since there are things Nova offers that I really like.

I think people have blown the fingerprint location "issue" way out of proportion. It took me about half a day to get used to it. I have miss hit it since then. Of course, I only use it when I am outside because when I am inside the iris scanner works just as fast. Press the home button and by the time my eyes meet the screen the phone has unlocked. That's inside though. Outside it's not nearly as good, but that is fine. The fingerprint scanner works great.

So is it enough to make me give up my 7 plus? That is a tough question that I am still thinking about. If I did not have a family so devoted to Apple, I would not even think about it. It would be S8+ and I wouldn't look back. It's not that I dislike the 7 Plus or iOS. Android has always been where I am most comfortable. I can make any phone work for me including blackberry or windows phone. Yep, even those guys. There are things I appreciate about iOS and certainly miss. As these operating systems improve each year it becomes more difficult for me to have a favorite. It's still android for me followed closely by iOS.

It sounds like you're enjoying the S8+

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
It sounds like you're enjoying the S8+

I am, but I really got used to the iPhone over the last 7 months. It's amazing how comfortable you can become with something. I understand why long time users on either side refuse to give the other side a real shot.

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
I actually have a Fitbit Charge 2 that I was using prior to the AW2. I love my Fitbit. I don't use it since the Apple Watch does everything I need fitness wise plus everything else that I want. If you are only looking fitness, then I would stick with the Fitbit. I think it does a great job and if you don't want or need all the other stuff, the watch is just too much money to spend. At least that's my opinion. I use the AW for fitness, messages, calls and a few other apps that are useful, but I could live without if they were not there. Siri is more usable on the watch that the iPhone in my opinion. She seems to understand me better on the watch.

I used a Fitbit Charge 2 and enjoyed it. However I did get an AW2 and liked it for the month I used it. However I did end up going back to my Fitbit and a watch and I listed my AW2 for sale.

chezm

Trusted Member
Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback guys. AW2 is a nice looking piece of tech that is eye catching, although TBH im not a fan of the square design. Ill stick with the Fitbit as well because it can go 5-6 days on a single charge, another thing i didnt enjoy about the moto 360.

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
I am, but I really got used to the iPhone over the last 7 months. It's amazing how comfortable you can become with something. I understand why long time users on either side refuse to give the other side a real shot.
I use both Android and iOS daily and I know the pros and cons of both. If I had to pick a winner it'd be hard because I like things about both, but IMO Android has the edge. Again that's my opinion so don't think it's a fact.

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback guys. AW2 is a nice looking piece of tech that is eye catching, although TBH im not a fan of the square design. Ill stick with the Fitbit as well because it can go 5-6 days on a single charge, another thing i didnt enjoy about the moto 360.
You're welcome! I have one in the marketplace if you want to check it out.

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
LOL. Thank you. That's exactly why I didn't say(at least I don't think I did) that I won't look back. I love my 7 Plus. I just really like a lot of things that android does and the S8+ is a fantastic device. Honestly, the hardest part for me right now is not using my Apple Watch. That may be something I can't get past. It is unreal how attached I have become to the watch.

I am just going to give the S8+ a good and fair amount of time before I draw any lines in the sand. Even then, I never would say I am never coming back or if I stay with the iPhone, I would never say I won't switch in the future. Like I said, I can make any phone work for me and get what I need. There are just some things I like better in android and some things I like better in iOS.

I'm in the same boat regarding iOS 11. I really hope they change things up a bit. If they do, I'll happily stay with iOS, but as it stands, I just can't tolerate iOS anymore. If all we get are more stupid stickers in messages, and a new font, I'm out.

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site

As someone else that had the Moto 360, I will say that I also was very underwhelmed by the Moto 360. My experience with the Apple Watch is almost night and day, just a far better device than the Moto. I've not owned a Fitbit, so I can't compare the two.

anon(9490796)

Jun 13, 2015
Visit site
Sweet Jesus! Is this what I have been missing out on with an S8 plus?!?!?!

Still going strong with the Galaxy s8 Plus. I love it. I do pick up my iPhone once a day but I never take it with me anymore. I definitely prefer the Samsung over the iPhone currently. Will decide if I get the note 8 or the iPhone 8 this fall

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
Still going strong with the Galaxy s8 Plus. I love it. I do pick up my iPhone once a day but I never take it with me anymore. I definitely prefer the Samsung over the iPhone currently. Will decide if I get the note 8 or the iPhone 8 this fall
I'm getting the Note 8, as I've had every Note already. I'm glad your S8+ is still going strong. @blaine07 keeps telling me that I should get an S8+!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2