iPhone 7 Plus or Galaxy S8+?

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
The thing I hate about the S8 is the placement of the fingerprint scanner.

Other than that, that phone is fabulous. Even the software looks good, these days, and it has a very good Camera on it. I'm considering getting one, but at this point I'd rather wait to see what the Note is like, as well as the next iPhone.

Apple really needs to step it up on the software side. A lot of things I thought would be useful have turned out to be thuds for me. 3D Touch, Today Screen, etc. Siri still doesn't seem to be getting the best use on their devices.

I think in use battery is comparable, but the iPhone has far superior standby times due to how it multitasks (or doesn't). Closing an app on Android matters more than on iOS. It's sort of like leaving Final Cut minimized on your MacBook while it's on battery power it's just something you have to acclimate yourself to when you switch platforms. They are different in that way.

But I'll probably stick with my 7+ for the front mounted fingerprint reader. If Apple does a back mounted reader on the iPhone 8, then that will make the Samsung Note or S8+ an equally viable option. I'd probably go with the Samsung in that case, for the sake of variety and a nice change, and keep the old iPhone 6Plus to access my iOS/iTunes content (and use it as a PMP while exercising and training).

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Definitely have to commend Apple with what they're able to do with their software in relation to the hardware. A device from 2015 takes down a 2017 device with what is said to be a strong processor on paper.

I agree that Apple does a lot with the hardware and software integration, but these speed tests are almost meaningless to me. The main area that every single one of these tests show Apple "blowing away" android is with gaming. There is no question that games open and typically run better on iOS. If gaming is your main focus with your phone, then the iPhone should probably be your first choice. Other than that, a phone like the galaxy S8 will be every bit as quick as the iPhone in normal use. In fact, I would argue that it can be made to be quicker by adjusting animations. iPhone animations always make it seem slow to me.

Just take these videos for what they are is all I am saying.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
If they even use the Note branding anymore. That might be too tainted now.

I think they will use it. I certainly don't know, but I think the loyal Note buyers will be ready to jump all over the next Note. The people that are scared off by the events of the Note 7, probably are not the customer base that would buy the Note even if they called it something else. The Note customers at best are using a Note 5 and many are still using the Note 4 so I think there is a big base of Note users waiting for something special from Samsung. I have a feeling they will deliver.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I agree that Apple does a lot with the hardware and software integration, but these speed tests are almost meaningless to me. The main area that every single one of these tests show Apple "blowing away" android is with gaming. There is no question that games open and typically run better on iOS. If gaming is your main focus with your phone, then the iPhone should probably be your first choice. Other than that, a phone like the galaxy S8 will be every bit as quick as the iPhone in normal use. In fact, I would argue that it can be made to be quicker by adjusting animations. iPhone animations always make it seem slow to me.

Just take these videos for what they are is all I am saying.

Oh I'm with you. They are meaningless to me as well and don't influence my decisions. I also think there is more to the story with those tests. Android does quite a bit more behind the scenes which can explain the differences. Both devices are plenty fast to me. I've never been one who care about these types of things personally. If the phone runs well for me then I'm good. In real world use I haven't noticed a single difference in speed.

chezm

Trusted Member
Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Oh I'm with you. They are meaningless to me as well and don't influence my decisions. I also think there is more to the story with those tests. Android does quite a bit more behind the scenes which can explain the differences. Both devices are plenty fast to me. I've never been one who care about these types of things personally. If the phone runs well for me then I'm good. In real world use I haven't noticed a single difference in speed.

Agreed I honestly don't care but found it quite interesting nevertheless. I also know android does a lot in the background, the speed tests mean nothing when there's seconds of a difference...it's not like I'm gonna be saying "omg, that took 2 seconds longer than I remember it was on the other phone I tested! Horrible!" Lol

TLD1

Retired Moderator
Jul 19, 2008
Visit site
I must hand it to Samsung for FINALLY producing a flagship device that doesn't feel like a Mattel baby toy. Last years Galaxy 7's and this years Galaxy 8 feel highend and solid in the hand. They feel like the iPhone has felt for years...actually from the beginning.

I've tried to use several Samsungs, and tried to use Android...and I just cannot feel comfortable with either.

My iPhone 7 Plus is the best iPhone...actually, the best phone I've ever used & I immediately feel comfy the moment I started using it.

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I think one of the best features about the iPhone 7+ that you left out is the reachability feature. I have small hands but always have a big phone and reaching the top of the screen always required two hands. With reachability I can use one hand and it's extremely handy!

Samsung had that feature 1-2 years ahead of Apple (on their Notes, it appeared on the Note 3 IIRC), so that's not a feature worth caring about when comparing the two phones. The Galaxy S has that.

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
It IS a beautiful screen, but I tend to agree - it feels like I am holding a TV remote after six months with an iPhone 7+. If you manage to open two identical browser screens, there is more text, top to bottom on the S8+, but it is "squished" horizontally by the narrow design. It is easier on the hand, but I'm not really seeing the value of a tall x narrow display.

For me, the real solution would be squeezing a 5.5" screen into the current iPhone 7 form factor (even make it a bit thicker if battery becomes an issue) - instantly easier to hold and more pocketable, but with a decent size 4:3 screen aspect ratio.

No one wants a phone with that aspect ration. It's been tried before and failed horribly. It's aweful. I'd rather a screen that's taller than a 4:3 smartphone screen. That's for tablets, IMO.

I dislike 16:9/10 tablets and prefer 4:3 there, personally.

I do agree about the S8 screen, especially when you factor in the curved edges. I have real issues with the edges screens and how they react to lighting (glare, reflections, etc.). I find it looks much better than it actually works practically, for me at least.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Very true, I've had enough customers come in to look at the S8 and S8+ but refused to get one because of the Note 7.
Samsung seemed to give out a ton of free s8 and s8+ phones. Including me getting a free s8+ A lot of BOGO deals going on just 5 weeks after release. So to me sales can't be on fire. I would have to think the Note 7 fiasco has had some kind of impact on sales. Not saying a huge impact but enough that there are many deals out there.

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
Samsung seemed to give out a ton of free s8 and s8+ phones. Including me getting a free s8+ A lot of BOGO deals going on just 5 weeks after release. So to me sales can't be on fire. I would have to think the Note 7 fiasco has had some kind of impact on sales. Not saying a huge impact but enough that there are many deals out there.
I'd agreed with that statement

anon(9490796)

Jun 13, 2015
Visit site
Black & Teal, nice combo. Maybe you can post a couple pictures when you receive it?

I miss the Citron Green commuter shells.

Here's the pictures. Arrived as promised
ad595cc570ca2567f7401366776d3a11.png
4ffaf71865ed03c8149b678014d99f7a.jpg
2ee3be476d02d4edbb6b850544936193.jpg

felloffthetruck

iPhone 7 Plus Champion
Champion
Oct 15, 2014
Visit site

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.