iPhone 7 Plus or Galaxy S8+?

chezm

Trusted Member
Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
The things that once irritated me about iOS have mostly disappeared.

This statement could not be truer for me. I loved the initial release of iOS on 3G (for us in Canada) but as time passed and both Android/WP evolved, iOS seemed to hang tight and careful. With iOS10, i've seen huge improvements and miss little from Android, i got my fingers crossed iOS11 marks a huge step forward with the new hardware design.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I had the galaxy note 5 test drive for 30 days then had to return it. Guess that is why I got the invite for the galaxy s8??? Didn't know don't really care.

Yeah I did the test 30 day test drive that same year for s6 edge plus. That's how I got in.

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
I'd switch to Android in a heartbeat but having my iMessages on my iPad and Mac is cool. But is it enough to keep me with Team iOS? Not really! TBH I'm holding out for the Note 8.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I'd switch to Android in a heartbeat but having my iMessages on my iPad and Mac is cool. But is it enough to keep me with Team iOS? Not really! TBH I'm holding out for the Note 8.

I respect that. iMessage by itself is not enough to keep me on iOS either. Although it is certainly a factor with all my family being iOS users. It is everything else about iOS that is keeping me around this time. I really appreciate the software more than I ever have. I truly didn't think I'd ever say that. I like so many things about android, but iOS just does what I need it to do better than android right now.

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
I respect that. iMessage by itself is not enough to keep me on iOS either. Although it is certainly a factor with all my family being iOS users. It is everything else about iOS that is keeping me around this time. I really appreciate the software more than I ever have. I truly didn't think I'd ever say that. I like so many things about android, but iOS just does what I need it to do better than android right now.
Everything I do is Google based, be it my contacts, calendar, pictures, and certain files, and it is much more seamless with Android. But I love that I can message people back from my Mac without having to pick up my phone. I could have done the same with Android on Verizon with Verizon Messages, but I'm on at&t now.

emanuel0ss0

Trusted Member
Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
I honestly love the way everything with Apple just flows. The conversation can go from iPhone to iPad to Mac and back seamlessly. It just works.

I like Android's openness, but it can be frustrating at time. I would pick the 7Plus.

chezm

Trusted Member
Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Everything I do is Google based, be it my contacts, calendar, pictures, and certain files, and it is much more seamless with Android. But I love that I can message people back from my Mac without having to pick up my phone. I could have done the same with Android on Verizon with Verizon Messages, but I'm on at&t now.

Recently coming from android, I do miss the google now integration and maps. I am wondering if Siri will learn as much about my interests as google assistant(google now)...I'm doubtful.

And even with that, and the fact that I cannot add heroic feedback when I type, I still prefer iOS right now. The messaging integration of iMessage and ecosystem is very solid, the software runs (so far) without issues, no stutters, seamless optimization.

I give kudos to google as their own ecosystem is pretty awesome, and thankfully I'm not removed (completely) from it on iPhone. I tried google now but it just eats the battery, no thanks...but I'm using gmail, google+ and photos for backup. And I do miss google maps on android auto (although Apple maps is working pretty good so far).

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site

Yeah. I'm all google based as well. Contacts, calendar, pictures and google drive. That's my biggest issue with Apple. I don't like iCloud except for backing up certain app data and my set up. I actually prefer many of the google apps on iOS oddly enough.

chezm

Trusted Member
Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Yeah. I'm all google based as well. Contacts, calendar, pictures and google drive. That's my biggest issue with Apple. I don't like iCloud except for backing up certain app data and my set up. I actually prefer many of the google apps on iOS oddly enough.

+1

I have no interest to use iCloud. I'm using google photos to backup pictures. I'll use it to backup phone and app data but that's it.

Question: do I still need to plug my phone into iTunes and back it up (like we used to) or does the current iCloud backup everything?

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
Recently coming from android, I do miss the google now integration and maps. I am wondering if Siri will learn as much about my interests as google assistant(google now)...I'm doubtful.

And even with that, and the fact that I cannot add heroic feedback when I type, I still prefer iOS right now. The messaging integration of iMessage and ecosystem is very solid, the software runs (so far) without issues, no stutters, seamless optimization.

I give kudos to google as their own ecosystem is pretty awesome, and thankfully I'm not removed (completely) from it on iPhone. I tried google now but it just eats the battery, no thanks...but I'm using gmail, google+ and photos for backup. And I do miss google maps on android auto (although Apple maps is working pretty good so far).
I use Google Maps and Google Now so frequently that I forgot to list them. I'm not too fond of Google Assistant though, but I'm liking it more and more.

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site

I only use iCloud to back my phone up. Other than that I don't use any of the features like contacts or calendar. You're right, the Google apps on iOS aren't too bad.

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
+1

I have no interest to use iCloud. I'm using google photos to backup pictures. I'll use it to backup phone and app data but that's it.

Question: do I still need to plug my phone into iTunes and back it up (like we used to) or does the current iCloud backup everything?

iCloud will up to 5GB. Unless you buy more storage.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I only use iCloud to back my phone up. Other than that I don't use any of the features like contacts or calendar. You're right, the Google apps on iOS aren't too bad.

Same here, but I really think the Google apps are very good on iOS. I figure having the iPhone gives me the best of worlds. I do miss true google now/google assistant integration though. Siri is not very good at all in comparison. I'm hoping that's one of the improvements coming with iOS 11.

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
Same here, but I really think the Google apps are very good on iOS. I figure having the iPhone gives me the best of worlds. I do miss true google now/google assistant integration though. Siri is not very good at all in comparison. I'm hoping that's one of the improvements coming with iOS 11.
My biggest complaint with iOS is that I can't set Google Maps as my default. On Android I can set Google Maps, Waze, or any other app to open up when I click an address. I live by Google Maps. I'm picky, I know.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
My biggest complaint with iOS is that I can't set Google Maps as my default. On Android I can set Google Maps, Waze, or any other app to open up when I click an address. I live by Google Maps. I'm picky, I know.

I prefer google maps as well but Apple maps is vastly improved from where it started so I use it most of the time. I'm learning to be less picky I guess. Lol. I used to fight everything on iOS and that's the main reason why I'd end up switching back to android. Then I'd miss iOS and switch back. It was a viscous circle. I'm trying to put an end to it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR