iPhone 7 Plus or Galaxy S8+?

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I'll give the S8 a better ergonomic feel, definitely the 7+ is less comfortable to hold one handed.

I have fallen for the Samsung hardware experience for years only to return to Apple. If I were solely basing my choice on hardware it wouldn't even be a contest. Two things make me not waste my time again. The Apple ecosystem that I seem to be appreciating more than I ever have and the fact that Apple is more than likely heading in a similar direction as Samsung with hardware in the fall. I'll just wait this time. It is the smarter play for me even though the techie in me would love to have a S8 as well.

Danny8200

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
I've been thinking about test driving either an S8 or an LG G6. I don't know why i haven't done it. I don't know, I like iOS. It's pretty much all I've ever used since switching from a "feature phone" back in 2009.

chezm

Trusted Member
Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
I have fallen for the Samsung hardware experience for years only to return to Apple. If I were solely basing my choice on hardware it wouldn't even be a contest. Two things make me not waste my time again. The Apple ecosystem that I seem to be appreciating more than I ever have and the fact that Apple is more than likely heading in a similar direction as Samsung with hardware in the fall. I'll just wait this time. It is the smarter play for me even though the techie in me would love to have a S8 as well.

No need to preach to me, I just came over to iPhone a week ago from many years of Android. The last time I fell in love with the design and bought a phone on it was the S6, it was fun while it lasted but I could personally never go back to Samsung...if I ever do go back to Android it'll be pixel. But how much I'm loving my 7+ right now, even if it's not as comfortable to hold, I don't see any reason I'd go back to android.

I give Samsung props for building a sleek, sexy looking hardware device.

Nubwy

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site
No need to preach to me, I just came over to iPhone a week ago from many years of Android. The last time I fell in love with the design and bought a phone on it was the S6, it was fun while it lasted but I could personally never go back to Samsung...if I ever do go back to Android it'll be pixel. But how much I'm loving my 7+ right now, even if it's not as comfortable to hold, I don't see any reason I'd go back to android.

I give Samsung props for building a sleek, sexy looking hardware device.
Well I'd wait for the Pixel 2 and even then it's not a sure bet. I had a pixel and it felt pretty cheap compared to any flagship I've ever had. The closest comparison would be an older Lumia 950 I had. It felt hollow, too light and cheap. And that glass back picked up all kinds of scratches.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
I switched from the 7 Plus to the S8+. So far so good. The standby battery life isn't nearly as good as iPhone, but in use the battery life is comparable. I've switched back and forth for years, so using Android isn't a big change for me. I'm sure when the next iPhone hits I'll be back though. I never really liked Samsung or TouchWiz, but they've stepped up their game lately. I've mostly used HTC Android phones. I liked the Note 7, but couldn't keep it. Got an S7 Edge and hated it. Switched back to iPhone with the 7 Plus, and loved it. I also have a Nextbit Robin. I just can't stop buying phones.

chezm

Trusted Member
Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Well I'd wait for the Pixel 2 and even then it's not a sure bet. I had a pixel and it felt pretty cheap compared to any flagship I've ever had. The closest comparison would be an older Lumia 950 I had. It felt hollow, too light and cheap. And that glass back picked up all kinds of scratches.

Ok, lets be real the Pixel is an UGLY phone...i would never deny it LOL. S8/+ is enchanting beside that brick of a phone, its a block and has zero style points.

With that said, if it runs as well as my Nexus 6P did im all over it...after many variations of Android i prefer stock. Sure, Samsung has some pretty awesome features which i missed when i moved away (I still cannot understand why stock android cant display battery % all the time! and others) but i couldnt get past TW, even with Nova Prime its always there. And this was the S6, when TW got toned down (it definitely did compared to S5), im not a fan of any OEM Android launchers...i disliked LG's and Sony's variation as well, Moto i could handle because its essentially stock with very minor features.

I can admit the S8 is a beautiful looking device, my sister asked me which phone to go with and i highly recommended the S8 since shes a Sammy fan so it makes sense. From all my mobile phone experience, i am past caring how the device looks since i put a case on it anyway. Software is my number 1 priority, not to say Samsung isn't top quality (i havent personally used the S8 in real life) but just isnt for me (dislike curved display and aspect ratio doesnt make sense to me just yet). But i have learned a personal lesson to not buy a phone because of the way it looks, as that enjoyment fades instantly when i wrap it in a case until i either clean it or get rid of it.

If i did care about the size/look of my phone i definitely wouldnt have went with a 7+ over a week ago :cool:

Glad to hear you guys are loving the S8, keep us posted on the experience as time passes.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
just can't stop buying phones.

That was definitely me for the last few years. I think I have finally put an end to it. I'm still curious and can completely appreciate great phones like the S8 but I just don't want to jump around anymore. Since I know I'll come back to the iPhone, I'm just saving myself the time and waiting for the new one. I'm also seeing some benefits to being on one phone for longer than 3 months. iOS is definitely better the more you use it and I still have all the benefits of the google apps.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
That was definitely me for the last few years. I think I have finally put an end to it. I'm still curious and can completely appreciate great phones like the S8 but I just don't want to jump around anymore. Since I know I'll come back to the iPhone, I'm just saving myself the time and waiting for the new one. I'm also seeing some benefits to being on one phone for longer than 3 months. iOS is definitely better the more you use it and I still have all the benefits of the google apps.
That's the funny thing about me. I don't use any Google apps or services really. I use Google maps on Android, but prefer Apple Maps. It doesn't make a ton of sense for me to use Android because I use macOS, Apple TV and like my Apple Watch way more than Android Wear. I just get swayed by Samsung displays and I like most of their built in apps.

muckle_dabuckle

Apr 28, 2017
Visit site
As someone who gets occasional dizzy spells and motion sickness the "fish bowl effect" of the curved screen on the S8 (or any other phone with a curved screen) is a no go for me. I'm hoping this isn't the new trend.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Samsung sent me a coupon code to the get a free s8+ from their store Friday. It arrived today. In love with it. The middle picture is not lined up from exactly on the bottom of each phone. Just lined up from bottom of each screen to show the screen size difference. The s8+ is a tad taller but definitely not as wide as 7 plus making it much easier to hold. Wow this screen is gorgeous. I can wait for next iPhone to use these screens.

bcc0c874ae22e046de5a7ab7dfd852f9.jpg

975ecc3d68d3d92adb6a85fd60238f7a.jpg
8bb23cda5a0e0a1ed81246f898e78d84.jpg

knotsure

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
Samsung sent me a coupon code to the get a free s8+ from their store Friday. It arrived today. In love with it. The middle picture is not lined up from exactly on the bottom of each phone. Just lined up from bottom of each screen to show the screen size difference. The s8+ is a tad taller but definitely not as wide as 7 plus making it much easier to hold. Wow this screen is gorgeous. I can wait for next iPhone to use these screens.

//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170503/bcc0c874ae22e046de5a7ab7dfd852f9.jpg
//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170503/975ecc3d68d3d92adb6a85fd60238f7a.jpg//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170503/8bb23cda5a0e0a1ed81246f898e78d84.jpg

I got my code yesterday and ordered my s8 last night. I haven't gotten the email it shipped yet but I am very excited. I am guessing you were invited to this program with the device insights app you have to install?

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I got my code yesterday and ordered my s8 last night. I haven't gotten the email it shipped yet but I am very excited.
I got the shipping email yesterday. But it actually shipped on Saturday. The VR shipped seperately yesterday and will be here tomorrow. That's awesome. Glad you got one too. Free is for me.

Tre Lawrence

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site

//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170503/bcc0c874ae22e046de5a7ab7dfd852f9.jpg
//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170503/975ecc3d68d3d92adb6a85fd60238f7a.jpg//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170503/8bb23cda5a0e0a1ed81246f898e78d84.jpg

Did you say "free coupon code" there?

Tre Lawrence

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
Yes. To make it free.

How did you pull that off (if you're allowed to share)? Fantastic.

I can't complain. Phone manufacturers have been good to me over the years.

Believe it or not, I might be sticking with Samsung because of Samsung Pay. Honestly, iOS has grown on me, but I am really enjoying Samsung Pay, so much so that I haven't rooted the S7e. That says something.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
How did you pull that off (if you're allowed to share)? Fantastic.

I can't complain. Phone manufacturers have been good to me over the years.

Believe it or not, I might be sticking with Samsung because of Samsung Pay. Honestly, iOS has grown on me, but I am really enjoying Samsung Pay, so much so that I haven't rooted the S7e. That says something.
I won't give specifics. Because I'm sure
Samsung doesnt want everybody knocking on their door. All I say is Android Central did a post 2 years ago about to test a s6 for 30 days from Samsung. I did that and now Samsung has invited me back for a free phone and what I give in return is I do surveys they ask.

Tre Lawrence

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
I won't give specifics. Because I'm sure
Samsung doesnt want everybody knocking on their door. All I say is Android Central did a post 2 years ago about to test a s6 for 30 days from Samsung. I did that and now Samsung has invited me back for a free phone and what I give in return is I do surveys they ask.

I think I remember that.

They have a similar process in place for feedback for their apps. Fun programs.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I think I remember that.

They have a similar process in place for feedback for their apps. Fun programs.
Yeah only difference is it's a one year deal now instead of a 30 day test drive. I do the surveys and and as I complete them all, phone is my to keep.

knotsure

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
I had the galaxy note 5 test drive for 30 days then had to return it. Guess that is why I got the invite for the galaxy s8??? Didn't know don't really care.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73