So I've been spending a week as of today with the galaxy S8 plus. I actually stupidly sold my iPhone 7 Plus thinking that I was going to stick with this galaxy phone. Boy was I wrong.

First off you can't deny that the screen is absolutely gorgeous. Seriously is quite something to see. When I held my iPhone before I sold it up against the new galaxy S8, it really showed that Apple needed to catch up in the screen department. It's a beautiful phone and it looks amazing, but that's about where it ends. First off, it's android. I really thought that there would be much improvement but unfortunately its still fragmented as ever. So many different applications on that phone for the same thing. For instance when I downloaded the file it appeared in two different locations on my phone. Unnecessary. And of course after only about three or four days and literally about maybe 25 applications, the lag started to set in. It wasn't a massive amount of lag but for a phone that was literally opened up fresh out of the box only three days prior I felt that extremely unacceptable. There's a lot that I like it out android but unfortunately there's a lot more that I dislike about android and which is why I continue to come back to iOS. This was probably my last time testing the waters with android. I have done this almost every year since the galaxy S5 only to come back to iOS every single time. Android really has come a long way especially under the clutches of Samsung, but for a phone that has all that hardware packed into it it boggles my mind why it still performs the way it does.

And for those wondering why so my iPhone, knowing how my past has been with switching, I had about $300 left on my iPhone balance through my carrier. A coworker of mine offered me 580 bucks to buy it off me so I took that money and paid off the balance only to pocket the extra cash. With that said T-Mobile has been super awesome and sent me out a new iPhone 7 Plus product red. Instead of waiting for me to send the galaxy S8 back and wait for it to get to the warehouse before allowing me to place a new phone order, they took care of me and got me a new device so I wouldn't have to be without one.

It's very easy to get drawn in with the hype of these stellar looking galaxy phones, just know what you're getting into if you're a diehard iOS fan.
    I did that in 2013 when the Nexus 5 came out. I sold my 5S and used the Nexus I think for 2 days before desperately trying to trade the Nexus for an iPhone 5 LOL. After using Touch ID for 2 months and then using the Nexus drove me nuts LOL. Plus the look of KitKat at the time was annoying to me compared to iOS 7.

After that experience I've always kept my iPhone and then buy the Android phone I've wanted to try. Since then I've tried the Nexus 6, 5 different 6Ps LOL and now the S8+ and I can say I still haven't sold my iPhone every single Android phone has gone back to its maker haha.
    libra89 and TheRandomDealio like this.
    05-01-2017 02:36 AM
    I too was a long time Blackberry user. I went with the Priv for the past year or so. After finally buying an iPad Last Christmas, i was won over to Apple. I really wanted an Apple Watch so I got the 7+ and watch a week ago. I'm happy with that decision. What I miss most is: notification led, placing icons on any space, and Blackberry keyboard where holding a key goes to uppercase. Otherwise it's all good! Love my watch!
    TheRandomDealio likes this.
    05-01-2017 11:56 AM
    Hold off on the booo's here, just want to get some discussion going

I've been honestly very impressed with the Galaxy S8 and S8+. Looks like a darn solid phone, and that display, well, it looks great.

My question(s) for you. Would you EVER consider switching to Android and pick up something like an S8? Or are you locked into the Apple ecosystem, LOVE everything Apple, and pick up an iPhone 7 or the next gen iPhone when it becomes available?

Certainly lots to talk about here. As phones get better and better and better.... you almost can't go wrong!!
    I did. And I truly love the phone. It's solid, the screen is beautiful and it's super easy to use the S8+ one handed compared to my iPhone 7 Plus. But I'll likely preorder the iPhone 8 as well.
    Nubwy likes this.
    05-01-2017 03:47 PM
    I did. And I truly love the phone. It's solid, the screen is beautiful and it's super easy to use the S8+ one handed compared to my iPhone 7 Plus. But I'll likely preorder the iPhone 8 as well.
    Have to agree. The 7 Plus is a great device but the S8 in my opinion just has a better ergonomic feel and the display... ermagerd!
    jtcannonball likes this.
    05-01-2017 09:54 PM
    Have to agree. The 7 Plus is a great device but the S8 in my opinion just has a better ergonomic feel and the display... ermagerd!
    I'll give the S8 a better ergonomic feel, definitely the 7+ is less comfortable to hold one handed.
    jtcannonball, Nubwy and libra89 like this.
    05-01-2017 10:48 PM
    I'll give the S8 a better ergonomic feel, definitely the 7+ is less comfortable to hold one handed.
    I have fallen for the Samsung hardware experience for years only to return to Apple. If I were solely basing my choice on hardware it wouldn't even be a contest. Two things make me not waste my time again. The Apple ecosystem that I seem to be appreciating more than I ever have and the fact that Apple is more than likely heading in a similar direction as Samsung with hardware in the fall. I'll just wait this time. It is the smarter play for me even though the techie in me would love to have a S8 as well.
    chezm, iamdld, libra89 and 2 others like this.
    05-02-2017 12:42 AM
    I've been thinking about test driving either an S8 or an LG G6. I don't know why i haven't done it. I don't know, I like iOS. It's pretty much all I've ever used since switching from a "feature phone" back in 2009.
    05-02-2017 01:05 AM
    I have fallen for the Samsung hardware experience for years only to return to Apple. If I were solely basing my choice on hardware it wouldn't even be a contest. Two things make me not waste my time again. The Apple ecosystem that I seem to be appreciating more than I ever have and the fact that Apple is more than likely heading in a similar direction as Samsung with hardware in the fall. I'll just wait this time. It is the smarter play for me even though the techie in me would love to have a S8 as well.
    No need to preach to me, I just came over to iPhone a week ago from many years of Android. The last time I fell in love with the design and bought a phone on it was the S6, it was fun while it lasted but I could personally never go back to Samsung...if I ever do go back to Android it'll be pixel. But how much I'm loving my 7+ right now, even if it's not as comfortable to hold, I don't see any reason I'd go back to android.

I give Samsung props for building a sleek, sexy looking hardware device.
    cwbcpa likes this.
    05-02-2017 04:46 AM
    No need to preach to me, I just came over to iPhone a week ago from many years of Android. The last time I fell in love with the design and bought a phone on it was the S6, it was fun while it lasted but I could personally never go back to Samsung...if I ever do go back to Android it'll be pixel. But how much I'm loving my 7+ right now, even if it's not as comfortable to hold, I don't see any reason I'd go back to android.

I give Samsung props for building a sleek, sexy looking hardware device.
    Well I'd wait for the Pixel 2 and even then it's not a sure bet. I had a pixel and it felt pretty cheap compared to any flagship I've ever had. The closest comparison would be an older Lumia 950 I had. It felt hollow, too light and cheap. And that glass back picked up all kinds of scratches.
    05-02-2017 08:35 AM
    I switched from the 7 Plus to the S8+. So far so good. The standby battery life isn't nearly as good as iPhone, but in use the battery life is comparable. I've switched back and forth for years, so using Android isn't a big change for me. I'm sure when the next iPhone hits I'll be back though. I never really liked Samsung or TouchWiz, but they've stepped up their game lately. I've mostly used HTC Android phones. I liked the Note 7, but couldn't keep it. Got an S7 Edge and hated it. Switched back to iPhone with the 7 Plus, and loved it. I also have a Nextbit Robin. I just can't stop buying phones.
    05-02-2017 08:45 AM
    Well I'd wait for the Pixel 2 and even then it's not a sure bet. I had a pixel and it felt pretty cheap compared to any flagship I've ever had. The closest comparison would be an older Lumia 950 I had. It felt hollow, too light and cheap. And that glass back picked up all kinds of scratches.
    Ok, lets be real the Pixel is an UGLY phone...i would never deny it LOL. S8/+ is enchanting beside that brick of a phone, its a block and has zero style points.

With that said, if it runs as well as my Nexus 6P did im all over it...after many variations of Android i prefer stock. Sure, Samsung has some pretty awesome features which i missed when i moved away (I still cannot understand why stock android cant display battery % all the time! and others) but i couldnt get past TW, even with Nova Prime its always there. And this was the S6, when TW got toned down (it definitely did compared to S5), im not a fan of any OEM Android launchers...i disliked LG's and Sony's variation as well, Moto i could handle because its essentially stock with very minor features.

I can admit the S8 is a beautiful looking device, my sister asked me which phone to go with and i highly recommended the S8 since shes a Sammy fan so it makes sense. From all my mobile phone experience, i am past caring how the device looks since i put a case on it anyway. Software is my number 1 priority, not to say Samsung isn't top quality (i havent personally used the S8 in real life) but just isnt for me (dislike curved display and aspect ratio doesnt make sense to me just yet). But i have learned a personal lesson to not buy a phone because of the way it looks, as that enjoyment fades instantly when i wrap it in a case until i either clean it or get rid of it.

If i did care about the size/look of my phone i definitely wouldnt have went with a 7+ over a week ago

Glad to hear you guys are loving the S8, keep us posted on the experience as time passes.
    libra89 and TheRandomDealio like this.
    05-02-2017 09:20 AM
    just can't stop buying phones.
    That was definitely me for the last few years. I think I have finally put an end to it. I'm still curious and can completely appreciate great phones like the S8 but I just don't want to jump around anymore. Since I know I'll come back to the iPhone, I'm just saving myself the time and waiting for the new one. I'm also seeing some benefits to being on one phone for longer than 3 months. iOS is definitely better the more you use it and I still have all the benefits of the google apps.
    05-02-2017 10:00 AM
    That was definitely me for the last few years. I think I have finally put an end to it. I'm still curious and can completely appreciate great phones like the S8 but I just don't want to jump around anymore. Since I know I'll come back to the iPhone, I'm just saving myself the time and waiting for the new one. I'm also seeing some benefits to being on one phone for longer than 3 months. iOS is definitely better the more you use it and I still have all the benefits of the google apps.
    That's the funny thing about me. I don't use any Google apps or services really. I use Google maps on Android, but prefer Apple Maps. It doesn't make a ton of sense for me to use Android because I use macOS, Apple TV and like my Apple Watch way more than Android Wear. I just get swayed by Samsung displays and I like most of their built in apps.
    05-02-2017 10:17 AM
    As someone who gets occasional dizzy spells and motion sickness the "fish bowl effect" of the curved screen on the S8 (or any other phone with a curved screen) is a no go for me. I'm hoping this isn't the new trend.
    chezm likes this.
    05-02-2017 10:46 AM
    Samsung sent me a coupon code to the get a free s8+ from their store Friday. It arrived today. In love with it. The middle picture is not lined up from exactly on the bottom of each phone. Just lined up from bottom of each screen to show the screen size difference. The s8+ is a tad taller but definitely not as wide as 7 plus making it much easier to hold. Wow this screen is gorgeous. I can wait for next iPhone to use these screens.

Rob Phillips, ladyc0524 and chezm like this.
    05-02-2017 07:34 PM
    As someone who gets occasional dizzy spells and motion sickness the "fish bowl effect" of the curved screen on the S8 (or any other phone with a curved screen) is a no go for me. I'm hoping this isn't the new trend.
    Right there with you
    muckle_dabuckle likes this.
    05-02-2017 08:12 PM
    Samsung sent me a coupon code to the get a free s8+ from their store Friday. It arrived today. In love with it. The middle picture is not lined up from exactly on the bottom of each phone. Just lined up from bottom of each screen to show the screen size difference. The s8+ is a tad taller but definitely not as wide as 7 plus making it much easier to hold. Wow this screen is gorgeous. I can wait for next iPhone to use these screens.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...b7dfd852f9.jpg
    https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...fd60238f7a.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...f898e78d84.jpg
    I got my code yesterday and ordered my s8 last night. I haven't gotten the email it shipped yet but I am very excited. I am guessing you were invited to this program with the device insights app you have to install?
    Garz likes this.
    05-02-2017 10:59 PM
    I got my code yesterday and ordered my s8 last night. I haven't gotten the email it shipped yet but I am very excited.
    I got the shipping email yesterday. But it actually shipped on Saturday. The VR shipped seperately yesterday and will be here tomorrow. That's awesome. Glad you got one too. Free is for me.
    knotsure likes this.
    05-02-2017 11:02 PM

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...b7dfd852f9.jpg
    https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...fd60238f7a.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...f898e78d84.jpg
    Did you say "free coupon code" there?
    knotsure likes this.
    05-02-2017 11:05 PM
    Did you say "free coupon code" there?
    Yes. To make it free.
    05-02-2017 11:07 PM
    Yes. To make it free.
    How did you pull that off (if you're allowed to share)? Fantastic.

I can't complain. Phone manufacturers have been good to me over the years.

Believe it or not, I might be sticking with Samsung because of Samsung Pay. Honestly, iOS has grown on me, but I am really enjoying Samsung Pay, so much so that I haven't rooted the S7e. That says something.
    05-02-2017 11:24 PM
    How did you pull that off (if you're allowed to share)? Fantastic.

I can't complain. Phone manufacturers have been good to me over the years.

Believe it or not, I might be sticking with Samsung because of Samsung Pay. Honestly, iOS has grown on me, but I am really enjoying Samsung Pay, so much so that I haven't rooted the S7e. That says something.
    I won't give specifics. Because I'm sure
    Samsung doesnt want everybody knocking on their door. All I say is Android Central did a post 2 years ago about to test a s6 for 30 days from Samsung. I did that and now Samsung has invited me back for a free phone and what I give in return is I do surveys they ask.
    05-02-2017 11:34 PM
    I won't give specifics. Because I'm sure
    Samsung doesnt want everybody knocking on their door. All I say is Android Central did a post 2 years ago about to test a s6 for 30 days from Samsung. I did that and now Samsung has invited me back for a free phone and what I give in return is I do surveys they ask.
    I think I remember that.

They have a similar process in place for feedback for their apps. Fun programs.
    05-02-2017 11:47 PM
    I think I remember that.

They have a similar process in place for feedback for their apps. Fun programs.
    Yeah only difference is it's a one year deal now instead of a 30 day test drive. I do the surveys and and as I complete them all, phone is my to keep.
    Tre Lawrence likes this.
    05-02-2017 11:53 PM
    I had the galaxy note 5 test drive for 30 days then had to return it. Guess that is why I got the invite for the galaxy s8??? Didn't know don't really care.
    05-03-2017 01:04 AM
426 ... 23456 ...