Galaxy S8 Anyone?

erasat

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
The S8+ is made of aluminum and glass, but it does feel plasticy. I know because I had one for a week or so.

You had one for a week and I still have mine and no, it doesn't​ feel plasticy, my iPhone 7 Plus Jet Black did feel plasticy, and guess what? Who cares? What is important is that is made of metal.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
The S8+ is made of aluminum and glass, but it does feel plasticy. I know because I had one for a week or so.

I've solely been using either an s8 or s8+ since launch day. In no way does this phone feel plasticky. I know it's just my opinion though. To me it's the best feeling smartphone ever and by far. There isn't even a close 2nd.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
You had one for a week and I still have mine and no, it doesn't​ feel plasticy, my iPhone 7 Plus Jet Black did feel plasticy, and guess what? Who cares? What is important is that is made of metal.

The jet black felt like a 5c. And I did have a jet black 7 for quite awhile. But your right, who cares.

Carjackd

Trusted Member
Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
I've solely been using either an s8 or s8+ since launch day. In no way does this phone feel plasticky. I know it's just my opinion though. To me it's the best feeling smartphone ever and by far. There isn't even a close 2nd.
Honestly I think it is the weight that makes people think this. There is no doubt that the phone is metal....but I really wish Samsung would make a device that feels like you are holding something solid. Don't get me....ive been messing around with this thing for 11 hours now and I really like it. I just wish there was a little more weight to it

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Honestly I think it is the weight that makes people think this. There is no doubt that the phone is metal....but I really wish Samsung would make a device that feels like you are holding something solid. Don't get me....ive been messing around with this thing for 11 hours now and I really like it. I just wish there was a little more weight to it

I'm glad it weighs what it does. The iPhone 7 plus is a tank and my biggest gripe was it's too wide in hand and way too heavy.

chezm

Trusted Member
Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
I'm glad it weighs what it does. The iPhone 7 plus is a tank and my biggest gripe was it's too wide in hand and way too heavy.

I much prefer a phone with more weight, that might sound silly but I guess my head the heavier the more durable (I know that's not 100% true but in my head it is lol).

And ya, it's the extremely light weight of the S8 that gives the impression of plasticy although we know it isn't.

RobertP1

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2016
Visit site
Nah! I'm content with my iPhone.

I had the 8+ for a few weeks and it really is a beautiful phone. The screen is second to none. The camera is also very good (not as good as the 7+). I like everything about the phone except the price. I would love to keep it as a back up phone, but that is too expensive to keep unless it is your daily driver.

I have a LG Stylo 2 as my back-up Android toy and it is pretty good and it was $99.. Spending top dollar on a Flagship Android doesn't make sense to me. The resale stinks and you know 6 months down the road the lag sets in and the phone will slow down to a crawl. Long Term investment, The Iphone is the only way to go.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Played with one yesterday and for the life of me I have no idea what this distortion that people talk about on the sides is. It is really a nice looking phone. And the guy showed me like 3 quick features that my 7 Plus doesn't have that I completely drooled over lol. It's a nice phone. A very nice phone. May have to grab one as a second device.

timocrates

Jan 24, 2017
Visit site
If I'm being completely honest...I couldn't care less. Lol.

That's just me personally. If the phone works and does what I need it to do, I don't care what tests and papers say. Nor do I care if my phone is more powerful than my neighbors phone. As long as my needs are met, I'm good.

Then why would you not spend two or three hundred for a device which rocks the stats list like some Android devices?

Jtshurtleff

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
I had the S8+ for a few weeks and here are my reasons for switching back to iOS.

-S8 lags like crazy even performing simple tasks. Not much installed, Instagram, Reddit, and Amazon (usual stuff) and I disabled most of the bloat, still lagged.
-Bixby is useless. Literally useless. I hit that damn button so many times trying to turn the volume down that it was a key reason to get rid of it. Hit that button and get ready to wait 2-3 seconds before you can use your phone again.
-Fingerprint sensor placement wasn't a huge issue for me actually, it was the size and functionality. It usually took 2-3 times for it to register my finger.
-Messaging is a huge part of my phone experience and the messaging app on the S8 is meh. I understand I can change it, but it still doesn't help the fact that it's meh. SMS in general is terrible and sending videos or pics via SMS is like sending a letter in the mail every time you want to talk to someone not near you.
-Camera experience is a bit difficult to get used to. Swiping to get to the front camera is awesome and a feature I wish Apple would implement but having to swipe, then search, then tap on which camera mode you want to use isn't very intuitive.
-Apple Watch is still king. The S3 is a good watch, and I am now so used to having a smart watch that it is somewhat of a necessity for me on my smartphone. The S3 has great battery life and a good form factor...and that is all. No app support, band switching is incredibly difficult compared to Apple's method, and it doesn't do much beyond notification and health controls. The speaker is hella loud though.

All of these things, and a few more, made me come back as I knew I would but hey, now it's out of my system.

timocrates

Jan 24, 2017
Visit site
Which Android devices?

I'd look at the Moto G5 Plus ($299) and the HTC One M9 ($209), but the Android woods are full of quality devices at a fraction of the prices we're used to on our island. I daydreamed about taking a Moto G from Costco because you can take it back if it don't satisfy.

ralphelliott

Jan 4, 2017
Visit site
As good as the S8 is, the pull of the ecosystem is too big to switch at the first opportunity. I'm going to wait for the 8 before I really consider going to the dark side.

anon(5630457)

Sep 29, 2015
Visit site
The difference between you and me is that I had the problem, I posted about the problem here, on the Apple forums and in other forums and blogs and then I posted the solution, I, myself found and if you don't want to believe that it was a huge problem, and it may still be if they haven't found the iCloud for Windows issue that was causing it, that's your problem. They are far, too far, from perfect, dozens and dozens of people posting, me too, and just telling their stories on getting new replacements just to get the same problem confirms it.

Now, the big question, have you read something about it? If you don't come to this forums, did you know about people having these huge battery drain issues? It's simple, no. Good for them, PR is great for business.

"tons and tons of people"

-- provides no evidence.

Um, okay.

erasat

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
"tons and tons of people"

-- provides no evidence.

Um, okay.

You can keep trying to come at me at every single of my posts simply because I called you out on one of your dozens and dozens of posts over Android Central just saying the same, again and again, but by just trying to discredit my posts that are easily proven by simply checking my threads and posts, just make you look childish. I expect a lot more from another Trusted Member of this community, I mean, as far as I know, that title that we both share, should means something, don't you think?

Do a Google search for iPhone Battery drain, or Battery Standby and Battery usage the same or simply do it directly here on this same forum and on the Apple Support forums and you'll find your evidence. But, here is one of my threads and another one with similar issues. But hey, go the Apple forums and see the huge amount of people with the same issues I had, some of them with 3 of 4 replacements already and the problem was keep coming. I had 3 myself and it wasn't until I found the culprit it was going to keep coming. I'll tell you a secret, yes I was offered a reward for that, you know what was that, 1 BT headphones, not even the recently released Airport, cheap dudes...

http://forums.imore.com/iphone-7-plus/382586-battery-standby-usage-same-huge-battery-drain-no-logical-explanation.html#post2887782

http://forums.imore.com/iphone-7-plus/383557-battery-issues.html#post2891036

*Edit* knowing that you won't even check, here are just 2 of the threads over the Apple Support community that I participated, no need to bring over the ones I created there because what was said on those was the same that I posted here on the iMore threads.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7706356

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7692925

One more thing, my handle over there is desiadri not erasat.

Last edited:

anon(5630457)

Sep 29, 2015
Visit site
You can keep trying to come at me at every single of my posts simply because I called you out on one of your dozens and dozens of posts over Android Central just saying the same, again and again, but by just trying to discredit my posts that are easily proven by simply checking my threads and posts, just make you look childish. I expect a lot more from another Trusted Member of this community, I mean, as far as I know, that title that we both share, should means something, don't you think?

Do a Google search for iPhone Battery drain, or Battery Standby and Battery usage the same or simply do it directly here on this same forum and on the Apple Support forums and you'll find your evidence. But, here is one of my threads and another one with similar issues. But hey, go the Apple forums and see the huge amount of people with the same issues I had, some of them with 3 of 4 replacements already and the problem was keep coming. I had 3 myself and it wasn't until I found the culprit it was going to keep coming. I'll tell you a secret, yes I was offered a reward for that, you know what was that, 1 BT headphones, not even the recently released Airport, cheap dudes...

http://forums.imore.com/iphone-7-plus/382586-battery-standby-usage-same-huge-battery-drain-no-logical-explanation.html#post2887782

http://forums.imore.com/iphone-7-plus/383557-battery-issues.html#post2891036

*Edit* knowing that you won't even check, here are just 2 of the threads over the Apple Support community that I participated, no need to bring over the ones I created there because what was said on those was the same that I posted here on the iMore threads.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7706356

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7692925

One more thing, my handle over there is desiadri not erasat.

I don't think it's fair or appropriate to call me out like that, and it's definitely not okay to question my status as Trusted Member. If you make a wild assertion, you should back that up with articles. The burden of proof is on you, not me. I'm not going to waste my time running around the internet to chase the wild claims YOU made.

By the way, I backed up my claims on Android Central with articles.

erasat

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
I don't think it's fair or appropriate to call me out like that, and it's definitely not okay to question my status as Trusted Member. If you make a wild assertion, you should back that up with articles. The burden of proof is on you, not me. I'm not going to waste my time running around the internet to chase the wild claims YOU made.

By the way, I backed up my claims on Android Central with articles.

Burden of proof is on me? Really? There you have the links of some of the threads, you read them if you want, if not then it's up to you. What I said on this thread was simply facts, not opinions like the ones you post on all possible threads and articles over Android Central, different than you I really give both platforms a fair try, my wife and daughters all use iPhones (that I bought for them) and I used the iPhone 7Plus for more than 3 months before selling it and buying the S8+, I do use both platforms, more Androids than iPhones, but I do use both, so when I give my opinion is not based on what I read or somebody else telling me what to do or like but on my own personal experiences.

But saying that the burden of proof is on me just because you say so... I must admit you're a funny guy. Wild claims? Not backing up? Hey just read the 4 links I provided before, read them you will see by yourself if this is a wild claim or actual problems tons of people are having right now with the so perfect iPhones. Take a closer look to the last link above from Apple Support community and look for the amount of users with the same problems, users with 2,3 and even 4 replacements and still have the issue, in my case, 4 different iphones with the same problem. My comments were how does Apple manage to keep all this under the rug is simply beyond me, I assume that given the good service they provide where you can just walk to an Apple service center and get a new phone makes things a lot better for the users Vs on Android when things like this happen, and people are out of their 14 days return window then they need to deal with the manufacturer, and their lack of physical stores or centers where to deal with this cause the outrage and the usual negative posts or comments over the web.

You seem to have a problem accepting that Apple is not perfect, and no, iPhones are far from it, all I commented before you jumped on me was that iPhones were not perfect, I mentioned my experience and now I provided some links to the threads (there are tons of more threads about it, and those you look for them, I'm not your personal assistant) and then you went directly against me as if I need to prove you something. The Apple technician that was helping me during the long month of troubleshooting told me that the problem has been acknowledged and that they were having a lot of returns because of it, that I was not the only one and that 3 or 4 replacements by user was the norm on this case, hence the reason that they offered me a Reward when I called him to tell him that I found the culprit and that it was iCloud for Windows installed on the computer.

You didn't like me mentioning your Trusted member status, ehh, I don't like having another Trusted Member going against my posts and obviously going against my character and just clearly saying that you are doubting what I'm saying, so in other words that I'm lying. You have doubts of what I'm saying I showed you the links so you could see it for yourself, if you do it or not, that's up to you, but let's do something, from now on, when you see my name, just ignore me, don't even read what I post, in other words just do what I've been doing with you for the past couple of weeks.

Deal?

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Burden of proof is on me? Really? There you have the links of some of the threads, you read them if you want, if not then it's up to you. What I said on this thread was simply facts, not opinions like the ones you post on all possible threads and articles over Android Central, different than you I really give both platforms a fair try, my wife and daughters all use iPhones (that I bought for them) and I used the iPhone 7Plus for more than 3 months before selling it and buying the S8+, I do use both platforms, more Androids than iPhones, but I do use both, so when I give my opinion is not based on what I read or somebody else telling me what to do or like but on my own personal experiences.

But saying that the burden of proof is on me just because you say so... I must admit you're a funny guy. Wild claims? Not backing up? Hey just read the 4 links I provided before, read them you will see by yourself if this is a wild claim or actual problems tons of people are having right now with the so perfect iPhones. Take a closer look to the last link above from Apple Support community and look for the amount of users with the same problems, users with 2,3 and even 4 replacements and still have the issue, in my case, 4 different iphones with the same problem. My comments were how does Apple manage to keep all this under the rug is simply beyond me, I assume that given the good service they provide where you can just walk to an Apple service center and get a new phone makes things a lot better for the users Vs on Android when things like this happen, and people are out of their 14 days return window then they need to deal with the manufacturer, and their lack of physical stores or centers where to deal with this cause the outrage and the usual negative posts or comments over the web.

You seem to have a problem accepting that Apple is not perfect, and no, iPhones are far from it, all I commented before you jumped on me was that iPhones were not perfect, I mentioned my experience and now I provided some links to the threads (there are tons of more threads about it, and those you look for them, I'm not your personal assistant) and then you went directly against me as if I need to prove you something. The Apple technician that was helping me during the long month of troubleshooting told me that the problem has been acknowledged and that they were having a lot of returns because of it, that I was not the only one and that 3 or 4 replacements by user was the norm on this case, hence the reason that they offered me a Reward when I called him to tell him that I found the culprit and that it was iCloud for Windows installed on the computer.

You didn't like me mentioning your Trusted member status, ehh, I don't like having another Trusted Member going against my posts and obviously going against my character and just clearly saying that you are doubting what I'm saying, so in other words that I'm lying. You have doubts of what I'm saying I showed you the links so you could see it for yourself, if you do it or not, that's up to you, but let's do something, from now on, when you see my name, just ignore me, don't even read what I post, in other words just do what I've been doing with you for the past couple of weeks.

Deal?

I'm not sure the articles you provided are indicative of a mass problem. When you think about the sheer number of iPhones Apple sells, there are going to be problems. No product is perfect and without fault. But you can Google any major product and find poor experiences. That doesn't mean that those products are good products. It just means they are just as susceptible to fault as any other product. That said, the most recent ACSI survey for last year has Samsung and Apple at the top for user satisfaction. I think that shows that, although you've provided threads that show people with problems, it isn't a wide spread issue.

erasat

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
I'm not sure the articles you provided are indicative of a mass problem. When you think about the sheer number of iPhones Apple sells, there are going to be problems. No product is perfect and without fault. But you can Google any major product and find poor experiences. That doesn't mean that those products are good products. It just means they are just as susceptible to fault as any other product. That said, the most recent ACSI survey for last year has Samsung and Apple at the top for user satisfaction. I think that shows that, although you've provided threads that show people with problems, it isn't a wide spread issue.

Like I said before, those are just 4 links of about a dozen of threads I participated and/or created in those and other forums, but there are a lot more, for the rest you'll need to do a Google search, but if you do you'll find them easily by using the search phrase I mentioned before, that's how I got to them in the first place.

I never mentioned a wide spread issue and you should notice that I'm not talking about the iPhone hardware, I've been saying all along that the problem was strictly related to iCloud for Windows, so if they don't install it or have a Mac then you won't have the specific issue I'm taking about, and even worse not all people using iCloud for Windows have the issue, but from those that do a lot of them have this issue. In addition to this it was a big surprise for me hearing from the nice guy that was helping me for almost a month, that this specific battery drain issue I was having was indeed a huge one and it was causing tons of returns and exchanges/replacements mostly from iPhone 7/7 plus users but there were others 6s still under warranty that were getting replacements because of the same.

Not once I've mentioned any iPhone Battery or hardware specific issue, but being an add-on that it's easily installed during the iTunes installation or upgrade process it was (really don't know if this had been fixed or not) causing havocs with a huge amount of owners. Going back to my initial and only comment about this, it may not be considered a wide spread issue if you want take it to a percentage of total users, but huge enough to make some news somewhere, but somehow, someway, this never gets to the public, if this gets filtered at least a lot of more people with similar issues and not forum users may know that they are not alone and even better, they could know that a temp solution was available. Certainly for me, if I never have found the culprit I would have sold my phone long time ago, and the experience would have kept me away from iPhones for a long time.