Galaxy S8 Anyone?

knotsure

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
Totally agree!! Same goes for me. I got a free phone through Samsung tried it for a few hours and I absolutely hated the software! I was slower on it and agreed the speaker is not good compared to the 7+. Hardware was nice but I prefer the 7+. It's so bad I'm sending back a free phone. Want nothing to do with it.

I might have some more success than you with the s8.

I cracked my ip7 256gb almost 5 months ago. I finally got around to getting it fixed and I noticed the camera lens was cracked as well. I know Apple will want the $319 o replace the phone instead of the $129 screen repair. So I convinced myself to have a screen repair guy do it. He did and it works but I hate it now. After he was leaving I was realizing what I had done. Didn't take long for my fears to be realized. The screen is not all that great. It's choppy looks like crap in the sun among other things.

So I am going to put the ip7 in the box and trade it in on a new iPhone when they drop. I don't think there is anyway this ip7 with this screen can be better than the new galaxy..... right? I will find out when I get my free s8 tomorrow.

anon(73368)

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site

I cracked my ip7 256gb almost 5 months ago. I finally got around to getting it fixed and I noticed the camera lens was cracked as well. I know Apple will want the $319 o replace the phone instead of the $129 screen repair. So I convinced myself to have a screen repair guy do it. He did and it works but I hate it now. After he was leaving I was realizing what I had done. Didn't take long for my fears to be realized. The screen is not all that great. It's choppy looks like crap in the sun among other things.

So I am going to put the ip7 in the box and trade it in on a new iPhone when they drop. I don't think there is anyway this ip7 with this screen can be better than the new galaxy..... right? I will find out when I get my free s8 tomorrow.

It's all preference but man I was all about giving it a fair chance and the software just didn't work for me. Apple is much easier to use. If I liked android a % I would keep it and continue to do the insight survey. But I really rather not mess with it and ship it back and continue to use my 7+.

anon(73368)

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site

In regards to your screen I highly recommend AppleCare + it would only cost you 29 bucks to replace by apple.

bassjo

Mar 26, 2016
Visit site
So I picked up an S8+ on Friday and have used it as my daily driver all weekend. Here's my opinion... The S8+ is an awesome phone and I think Samsung has knocked it out of the park when it comes to the hardware design of this device, (sans FPS). I even think this years version of TouchWiz is the lightest it's ever been.

Let’s talk pro’s, one would be Samsung's setup process to switch between devices, I plugged the lightning cable into my iPhone 7+ and used the adapter to connect the other end to the S8+ and in less than 30 minutes I had the it setup and ready to roll. Another pro is the outstanding battery life. One of the biggest cons that I have and honestly makes this a deal breaker for me is finding decent replacement apps for those I used on my iPhone. (Seriously, try finding a decent workout log app on Android.)

One other con I've noticed right out of the box with this particular device is lag. But to clarify I'm not completely sold that it is a device issue, it has only happened while trying different apps to replace those from IOS. Also speaking of the apps, quite a few of them are horrible, nothing like their IOS counterparts. As much as I hate to admit it, this phone is going back to Verizon today and I’ll be sticking with what works. Let’s hope the next gen iPhone is a game-changer.

anon(9490796)

Jun 13, 2015
Visit site
The official Samsung screen protector for the S8+ is fantastic. I have it on mine. It's not glass, but it fits perfectly and allows for many cases to be used as well. Only drawback is I had to find it on eBay because for some reason, Sammy isn't selling it in the states right now.

Thanks! I found it and ordered it! How's the coverage? And scratch resistance?

knotsure

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
In regards to your screen I highly recommend AppleCare + it would only cost you 29 bucks to replace by apple.

I usually do that but didn't get around to do it this year. Big time regret. The problem is I had been enjoying no case. And I mean I loved it with no case. But it cost me. So I am gonna give this s8 program a shot.

sangs

Trusted Member
Sep 18, 2009
Visit site
You are the first one I have heard about that finds the audio to be as good as the iPhone, for me it was not even close :)

Maybe depends on the headphones. It certainly sounds no different on my AirPods, or when I use it through my bluetooth speakers at home or in the car.

sangs

Trusted Member
Sep 18, 2009
Visit site
I have to laugh when I read that people have tried it for "a few hours" and felt it "was slow" during that time and then decide it's crap. As if a few hours is enough time to make a decision on anything. I wouldn't be married if I went with only the first seven hours with my wife of 20 years. :)

Not to mention, when you load something up with apps and set it up the first time, it takes a little bit to settle in. There are things I don't like about the Samsung experience - scrolling especially, and as I mentioned earlier, I prefer my 7+ - but you should give these things a fair shake before making such definitive statements. Sounds like people go in with a mindset and come hell or high water aren't going to change that mindset. "There, I tried it. Android sucks. Bah!"

bassjo

Mar 26, 2016
Visit site
I used Android phones over the last few years many times and have most ofter preferred them. (My last being the Note 7) However this time is different, I feel I've given it a fair shake over the last three days and my expectations haven’t been met. My biggest issue was two-fold, (a) finding the same or comparable apps to what I’ve become accustom to and (b) apps that didn't look like or behave like crap.

anon(73368)

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
I have to laugh when I read that people have tried it for "a few hours" and felt it "was slow" during that time and then decide it's crap. As if a few hours is enough time to make a decision on anything. I wouldn't be married if I went with only the first seven hours with my wife of 20 years. :)

Not to mention, when you load something up with apps and set it up the first time, it takes a little bit to settle in. There are things I don't like about the Samsung experience - scrolling especially, and as I mentioned earlier, I prefer my 7+ - but you should give these things a fair shake before making such definitive statements. Sounds like people go in with a mindset and come hell or high water aren't going to change that mindset. "There, I tried it. Android sucks. Bah!"

I think in terms of most things you would know with hrs if it's gonna fit your needs. I've tried the s7edge last year and the s8 this year and it's just not for me. Not saying it's crap. It's just not for me iOS works better for my needs.

Last edited:

chezm

Trusted Member
Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Stock android and Moto are the only phones I've used that I can say are almost lag free, every oem no matter how optimized suffers. It's unfortunate but the truth, over time anyway.

After 3 years on android (mix of Samsung, lg and nexus) I am nothing but pleased with iOS. I knew what I was getting as I use a 6S as a work phone. It does the job, always...it handling multitasking top notch.

Easycure1974

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
Today I sent the S8+ back after two weeks and got myself a lovely iPhone 7 Plus 256 GB in red, such a beauty :) Feels great to be "home" again
e171cc9bf60d252d8a7349f6fdefbd8d.jpg

MizWylie

Champion
Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
I think I'm so hellbound to see the new iPhone that the S8+ doesn't cut it for me in the end, which is probably why I didn't enjoy it when I had it. I'm hoping I don't raise my hopes too high with Apple, but I usually do. The 7S wouldn't be enough to make me upgrade

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
I had all the Notes and the Note was not good for me. I couldn't hold on until the Note release and had been tinkering with the 7+ in the store since the recall issue on the Note 7. Decided to go with it when I was told I could get a great trade in value on my Note 5 and with having been promised the 64 gig and being on back order for two months and then told it was being cancelled by Samsung, I was like. Really? I am so done. So am happy and pleased with the 7+ and it is great so far.

knotsure

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
Until the Note 8 comes out!

BTW, how did you get a free 8+ from Samsung?
I am guessing it is through the Samsung device insights program. This is how I got my s8. I signed up for a note 5 promo a couple years ago and I guess they decided to include me this time as well.