Galaxy S8 Anyone?

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I think the opposite is true for me also. There's something's that iOS has done for a long time that Android still doesn't
I think what is bugging me most about Apple is not the OS. Even though I wish they would open it up more. But it's the hardware. I know that will change for iPhone 8. But the iPhone 7 and plus is behind the times for the most part. Not all of it but much of it. It just really hurt that they went with same design for 3 straight years. The screen is way behind the times. And those bezel. Geez.

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
I think what is bugging me most about Apple is not the OS. Even though I wish they would open it up more. But it's the hardware. I know that will change for iPhone 8. But the iPhone 7 and plus is behind the times for the most part. Not all of it but much of it. It just really hurt that they went with same design for 3 straight years. The screen is way behind the times. And those bezel. Geez.

I don't know why Apple decided to stay with this design for so long but it seems every year this happens the iPhone comes out in the fall which is a response to Samsung releasing their phone in the spring and then when the next Galaxy comes out "well oh the iPhone that's been out 7-8 months is so old hat now compared to the new Galaxy Sx whatever" I mean kind of hard to compare a new phone to one that's been out for 8 months.

The same will happen with the iPhone 8 once the S9 comes out.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I don't know why Apple decided to stay with this design for so long but it seems every year this happens the iPhone comes out in the fall which is a response to Samsung releasing their phone in the spring and then when the next Galaxy comes out "well oh the iPhone that's been out 7-8 months is so old hat now compared to the new Galaxy Sx whatever" I mean kind of hard to compare a new phone to one that's been out for 8 months.

The same will happen with the iPhone 8 once the S9 comes out.
Last year the s7 edge was 5.5" but already had a lot less bezel than than the existing iPhones. So iPhone 7 plus came out 5 months later and that iPhone was much bigger in overall size. Huge. So making an excuse that it came out 8 months after 7 plus is not a good point. This has been something samsung has been working on trimming for years while apple has been stale on the same design forever. And in the technology age, 3 years is forever. And how about that iPhone 7 screen that has the same pixel density at the 2010 iPhone 4? 7 years now. It's all just excuses.

Easycure1974

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
I gave the S8+ a second go but no. It will go back today. The only thing I like is the screen and minimal bezel. The software is still crap, the camera is not that much better if better at all. The audio is crap, both speaker and with headphones. It felt great a couple of days admiring the nice hardware. But using it is no joy. The iris scanner is so bad and the fingerprint reader is not that great besides the bad placement it has. Everything I do is slower on the S8 and more annoying to use. Great looking but that is all positive words I will give it after two weeks of use

MKNicole1988

Apr 5, 2017
Visit site
I gave the S8+ a second go but no. It will go back today. The only thing I like is the screen and minimal bezel. The software is still crap, the camera is not that much better if better at all. The audio is crap, both speaker and with headphones. It felt great a couple of days admiring the nice hardware. But using it is no joy. The iris scanner is so bad and the fingerprint reader is not that great besides the bad placement it has. Everything I do is slower on the S8 and more annoying to use. Great looking but that is all positive words I will give it after two weeks of use

I couldn't have said it better myself :)

chezm

Trusted Member
Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
I used my sisters S8 for an hour yesterday to goof around and while it's nice, to me it's not leagues and bounds ahead of the 7+. Benefits for me is the narrow design makes it easier to hold and the screen is sharper. Otherwise there were many things I considered my iPhone does better.

I get it, if I was a fan of this brand and 3 years counting it was the same design I'd get annoyed. But then again, I wouldn't buy the latest every year so doubt I'd suffer that problem. Does apple need a change? Sure, I can agree it does. But for a first time iPhone + user, I'm totally content with this current design and still much prefer the overall package I get with 7+ over S8/+

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
LOL , I remember those days where I had to have the latest and greatest of everything. I once looked on my night stand and saw three smartphones, Blackberry Z10, Samsung Galaxy S3 and Apple iPhone 5s and said to myself..."REALLY?" I'm glad those days have since past.

jes1888

Jul 15, 2016
Visit site
Probably. I really hope iOS 11 brings dark mode too. Just simple things that android can do that apple won't let you do has always bothered me. //uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170508/a300eaf077f07a6b367c33ea771936a8.jpg

This is the only reason that I haven't made the jump from my elite x3 to the 7+ I HATE white backgrounds on everything. I gave my mother as a gift a Samsung tablet and everything is white. Colorful, but white, my wife has an iPhone 6+ and it's a nice phone, but the whites are a no no for me. I barely tolerate them on my Air 2. I'll make the switch when they add a freaking dark mode, just like w10 mobile allows to choose between dark or light (white) mode. I know I'm missing a lot but the iPad's got me covered.

anon(5630457)

Sep 29, 2015
Visit site
So, in your opinion, it's the number of changes that make one phone better than the other? Am I reading you correct?

I guess I look at actual use to determine what is better for me. The S8 is the prettier phone and has a higher screen to body ratio. No question. Beyond that, I don't know what the S8 is better at. I guess that was my original question. Beyond looks, what does the S8 do better than the 7 Plus? I am asking because I have not used one, not because I am trying to argue. :) For example, when I used the Note 7. I felt is was better than the 7 Plus in that it used the big screen better by providing the S-Pen functions and actual split screen. The S-Pen is a difference maker for me. I am not sure what that difference maker is with the S8.

There's three forms of biometrics on the S8s--facial recognition, iris scanner, and fingerprint sensor. The iPhone 7 Plus only has the FPS. Samung Pay is also leaps and bounds better than Apple Pay because it uses MST technology. It can work on every single credit card terminal. It doesn't need an NFC terminal like Apple Pay. The screen resolution is also better on the S8s. QHD looks gorgeous compared to 1080.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
There's three forms of biometrics on the S8s--facial recognition, iris scanner, and fingerprint sensor. The iPhone 7 Plus only has the FPS. Samung Pay is also leaps and bounds better than Apple Pay because it uses MST technology. It can work on every single credit card terminal. It doesn't need an NFC terminal like Apple Pay. The screen resolution is also better on the S8s. QHD looks gorgeous compared to 1080.

I'm in total agreement on the screen. I get that. I've used Samsung Pay a lot actually and I will agree that it can be used in more places. It's certainly just as easy to use as Apple Pay, but can be used in more places. I used the iris scanner on the Note 7 and while cool, it definitely wasn't replacing the fingerprint yet. I think that options are great though. I am very much a fan of android and of Samsung as a company.

What I still don't see is how any of those make the S8 "leaps and bounds" better than the iPhone. That was the quote I was referring to in my original post.

I don't deny that Apple is behind Android in a couple areas, but it could also be argued that Android is behind Apple in some areas. That's all I was saying. They both have strengths and weaknesses. Neither is overall leaps and bounds ahead of the other.

sangs

Trusted Member
Sep 18, 2009
Visit site
I was thinking of getting the black grip. I haven't decided. What did you do for screen protector? Gonna try the zagg sapphire and hope that's a good one.

I either will get the symmetry or the Speck grip. I like the pelican though. The screen protector on it isn't perfect but it's better than not having anything at all.

The official Samsung screen protector for the S8+ is fantastic. I have it on mine. It's not glass, but it fits perfectly and allows for many cases to be used as well. Only drawback is I had to find it on eBay because for some reason, Sammy isn't selling it in the states right now.

sangs

Trusted Member
Sep 18, 2009
Visit site
I'm in total agreement on the screen. I get that. I've used Samsung Pay a lot actually and I will agree that it can be used in more places. It's certainly just as easy to use as Apple Pay, but can be used in more places. I used the iris scanner on the Note 7 and while cool, it definitely wasn't replacing the fingerprint yet. I think that options are great though. I am very much a fan of android and of Samsung as a company.

What I still don't see is how these any of those make the S8 "leaps and bounds" better than the iPhone. That was the quote I was referring to in my original post.

I don't deny that Apple is behind Android in a couple areas, but it could also be argued that Android is behind Apple in some areas. That's all I was saying. They both have strengths and weaknesses. Neither is overall leaps and bounds ahead of the other.

While I tend to agree with you, there are little things Android does that just make me smile - and I wish Apple would implement. Take "Smart Lock" for instance. Absolutely brilliant. Between location and Bluetooth, I rarely have to unlock my phone. "Always on Display" and "Double Tap to Wake" are two other features, that although can be considered minor, are fantastic. And while this is a hardware feature, the ability of many Android devices to double click the power button to open the camera is so much better than Apple's shortcut. Those are just a few of the little things I'd like to see Apple do - soon.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
While I tend to agree with you, there are little things Android does that just make me smile - and I wish Apple would implement. Take "Smart Lock" for instance. Absolutely brilliant. Between location and Bluetooth, I rarely have to unlock my phone. "Always on Display" and "Double Tap to Wake" are two other features, that although can be considered minor, are fantastic. And while this is a hardware feature, the ability of many Android devices to double click the power button to open the camera is so much better than Apple's shortcut. Those are just a few of the little things I'd like to see Apple do - soon.

Oh yeah! I am on board with every single one of those! Great points that have slipped my memory. Maybe it has been too long on an iOS device. I have never gone this long away from Android. It's been six months... I am at least hanging on until the Note 8 is announced and I see what iOS 11 and the September iPhone announcements are.

sangs

Trusted Member
Sep 18, 2009
Visit site

The software is hardly "crap." Does it take some getting used to after using the simplicity of Apple for a while? Certainly. But crap? Come on, that's a bit harsh. As for audio, I used my AirPods with my S8+ and it sounds exactly the same as on my iPhone 7+. The Iris Scanner works perfectly, including through my sunglasses. Agree on the FPS, both location and use. I still prefer the iPhone 7+, but that's mainly because of iMessage and living in an Apple-centric ecosystem at home.

Easycure1974

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
Yes there are three forms but non of them work good enough. Rather have one form always working them three of them working sometimes

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
The software is hardly "crap." Does it take some getting used to after using the simplicity of Apple for a while? Certainly. But crap? Come on, that's a bit harsh. As for audio, I used my AirPods with my S8+ and it sounds exactly the same as on my iPhone 7+. The Iris Scanner works perfectly, including through my sunglasses. Agree on the FPS, both location and use. I still prefer the iPhone 7+, but that's mainly because of iMessage and living in an Apple-centric ecosystem at home.

That's great to hear about the AirPods. I love mine and would hate to give them up. I too am in an Apple-centric home. It's always a challenge with the family when I go back to android. I could never get them to switch. I have tried a few times to no avail. The best solution for me is to carry both, but that just seems like a waste of money. I certainly don't need two phones.

Easycure1974

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
The Samsung software is crap :) All this awesome hardware and it still lags from time to time and it still looks like some kid designed it. My budget Honor 8 flies circles around my S8 and it is one third of the price of the S8.
I had tried two different S8+ and the iris scanner perhaps works 50% of the time at best for me, not good enough - just annoying.
You are the first one I have heard about that finds the audio to be as good as the iPhone, for me it was not even close :)

anon(73368)

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site

Totally agree!! Same goes for me. I got a free phone through Samsung tried it for a few hours and I absolutely hated the software! I was slower on it and agreed the speaker is not good compared to the 7+. Hardware was nice but I prefer the 7+. It's so bad I'm sending back a free phone. Want nothing to do with it.