Galaxy S8 Anyone?

jtcannonball

Trusted Member
Mar 28, 2016
Visit site
Meh...I had my fair time with android. I prefer consistency, and that if nothing else you can get with Apple. From a aesthetic view, hands down its not even close! But that's how they reel you in. Before you know it, the looks and feel of the device wont be enough to continue the love affair(IMO). Software is Apple's bread and butter, and it seems to be the kryptonite of all Android devices. If hardware is your main attraction then, hands down the S8 is your device.
This would be accurate a few years ago. Android is light years ahead of those days. I'm a fan of both and this is not a true or fair comparison. My Galaxy S8 and previous S7e were as stable or more than the experience I've had with my 7+ and my mom who knows zero about tech complains often about the bugs in ios at this time. Both are great operating systems and wonderful hardware, it's just a matter of likes and dislikes. But both are reliable and very consistent to a point. I'll likely preorder and get the iPhone 8 as Apple is my true love and the only tech products I stray away from the Applesphere is with my phone's when I get bored with Apple.

chezm

Trusted Member
Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
This would be accurate a few years ago. Android is light years ahead of those days. I'm a fan of both and this is not a true or fair comparison. My Galaxy S8 and previous S7e were as stable or more than the experience I've had with my 7+ and my mom who knows zero about tech complains often about the bugs in ios at this time. Both are great operating systems and wonderful hardware, it's just a matter of likes and dislikes. But both are reliable and very consistent to a point. I'll likely preorder and get the iPhone 8 as Apple is my true love and the only tech products I stray away from the Applesphere is with my phone's when I get bored with Apple.

Well then Samsung is doing a better job than Google because even though i loved my 6P and stock Android, it has quite a few problems...and you can go over to the androidcentral forums to clarify. I mean even look at the Pixel problems. I havent used a Sx since the S6 so i cant speak on behalf of Sammy, but my experienced with Android have improved over the last 2 years...but its just not as consistently stable as iOS, again in my experience.

muckle_dabuckle

Apr 28, 2017
Visit site
I would wait until the kinks are worked out of the first batches. I'm seeing a lot of reports of a clicking sound coming from the center of the screen when pressed. As if the screen is coming unglued from the digitizer. I also have strong concerns about the fragility of the edges of the curved glass. SquareTrade did a drop test where the screen cracked/shattered on the first drop on all four sides. First phone they ever tested where this happened.

I really like all the extra features/tweaks Samsung added with TouchWiz. I'm just not a fan of the curved screen look and the all glass fad. Good chance of getting security updates with the S8 too.

The LG G6 is probably the better buy with similar screen ratio, arguably better camera, military-standard drop tested, and is $500 at T-Mobile and comes with a free Google Home. Sad thing is it won't get as many updates as the S8.

jtcannonball

Trusted Member
Mar 28, 2016
Visit site
Well then Samsung is doing a better job than Google because even though i loved my 6P and stock Android, it has quite a few problems...and you can go over to the androidcentral forums to clarify. I mean even look at the Pixel problems. I havent used a Sx since the S6 so i cant speak on behalf of Sammy, but my experienced with Android have improved over the last 2 years...but its just not as consistently stable as iOS, again in my experience.
My 6p was one excellent phone except... The camera was so slow with moving objects in any light but super bright outdoor scenarios. It's had a lot of issues reported about a year down the road and it's not aged well.

My argument is both devices feel equally stable and we are at the point in tech that it's personal opinion that separates the two devices more than actual quality of hardware and software like it was 3 years ago.

chezm

Trusted Member
Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
My 6p was one excellent phone except... The camera was so slow with moving objects in any light but super bright outdoor scenarios. It's had a lot of issues reported about a year down the road and it's not aged well.

My argument is both devices feel equally stable and we are at the point in tech that it's personal opinion that separates the two devices more than actual quality of hardware and software like it was 3 years ago.

Agreed

Stan Jackson

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site

Stan Jackson

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Did i forget to mention that this was entirely my opinion? I have had androids since the htc hero and, my wife has the galaxy 7 and, i have noticed a lot of the same things that turned me away. So i can say it is a true statement because it still have software negatives. Androids seem like the best thing since sliced bread in the beginning but, eventually it will start to slow up and lag.

jamezr

Trusted Member
May 5, 2017
Visit site
I have an Orchid Gray S8+ and iphone 7+ and Pixel XL.... I really like all 3 of them and switch back and forth between them....just pop in my sim and go.

They all have their pros and cons and pluses and minuses.
I feel like being able to switch between Android and IOS is really the best of both worlds :)

chezm

Trusted Member
Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
I have an Orchid Gray S8+ and iphone 7+ and Pixel XL.... I really like all 3 of them and switch back and forth between them....just pop in my sim and go.

They all have their pros and cons and pluses and minuses.
I feel like being able to switch between Android and IOS is really the best of both worlds :)

Doesn't iMessage cause conflict issues with SMS?

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
Just got the Galaxy S8+. Keeping my 7 Plus though. So far I think it is the best quality device Samsung has made. We'll see how it goes with time.

chezm

Trusted Member
Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
I just make sure to sign out of imessage before i remove the sim and put it in another phone.

Ah wasn't aware of the new process, the last time I moved from iOS I had to remove my device from the servers and wait 45 days for iPhone users to get my text properly lol.

MKNicole1988

Apr 5, 2017
Visit site
I upgraded to the galaxy S8 + day before yesterday. I admit it's a beautiful phone but, I just can't get used to android. I guess I'm stuck in the Apple ecosystem. I'm also weary of Samsung products after I had to return my Note 7. I'll be sticking with my iPhone 7 plus until I can pre-order my iPhone 8.

applejosh

Sep 26, 2009
Visit site
If I wanted to wade back into Android, I'd go with a google branded phone or maybe a BlackBerry. Those are the ones that seems to get regular updates. I have an unlocked S7, and still no update to Nougat (Smart Switch is still not showing it despite people saying it showed up last week). Plus, I'm lucky if I get quarterly security updates. If I went with a carrier branded version, there's so much added carrier junk. Can't do it.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
If I wanted to wade back into Android, I'd go with a google branded phone or maybe a BlackBerry. Those are the ones that seems to get regular updates. I have an unlocked S7, and still no update to Nougat (Smart Switch is still not showing it despite people saying it showed up last week). Plus, I'm lucky if I get quarterly security updates. If I went with a carrier branded version, there's so much added carrier junk. Can't do it.
I had an s7 Edge from T-Mobile until I sold it after I got s8. It got Nougat a few months ago. Lol.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
It'll be released at normal time. Just backordered 😜😜
Probably. I really hope iOS 11 brings dark mode too. Just simple things that android can do that apple won't let you do has always bothered me.
a300eaf077f07a6b367c33ea771936a8.jpg

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2