Galaxy S8 Anyone?

mpshah

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site
Hi Guys,

So I've gone over to the dark side and so far its not so bad. Not missing out much from iOS besides iMessage and for that reason I need to migrate the WhatsApp backup on iOS over to the S8+. Does anyone have a solution to this?

Your help would be appreciated.

Cheers.

West Londoner

Apr 23, 2017
Visit site
The S8 does look amazing , but Im gonna hold on for 4 more androids to be released before I make my mind up , for a replacement for my Z5 Premium

They are : Sony XZ Premium , Moto Z 2017 , Pixel 2 and Oneplus 5

If those are any good , they or the S8 will be replacing my Z5 Premium , and maybe even my trusty iPhone 5s , which is beginning to suffer from a myriad of issues

smart_burro

Sep 14, 2014
Visit site
Heck no. I made the mistake of buying a Samsung phone (Note3) once and will never make that mistake again. I couldn't stand Touchwiz or not being able to run the latest version of Android. Samsung and the carrier also loaded it up with more crapware than I've ever encounter, even on a Windows PC. The front of the S8 looks good, but then back is horrendous. While it has better specs than iPhone 7+ on paper real world tests have already shown that the iPhone 7+ is faster. Features like Bixby and Iris scanning look cool, but my experience with the Note 3 was that most features like this that Samsung tries to execute end up being complete failures. On the Note 3 you were suppose to be able to scroll with your eyes. I never got it to work. S Voice was another complete failure. The resale value on Samsung devices is also horrible. I had the Note 3 for less than 45 days and the max I could get for it was $150 and I had to include the Gear watch to even get that much. I have been able to sell every iPhone I've had a year or more later for at least $500. If you are really dead set on getting the S8 I suggest waiting until Christmas when Samsung will give you one for free if you buy a Samsung TV. If you aren't committed to getting the S8 but want an Android device I suggest getting the Pixel or another device that runs stock Android and gets updates as soon as they're released.

Just curious if anyone is getting an S8 for a second phone of dropping their iPhone completely.
IMO, the phone looks amazing but but besides that nothing is exciting me. After using android for so many year I kind of know what to expect later down the road with slowdowns, etc.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
I was given 529 trade in from Verizon on my Note 5 when I switched to Apple. I am enjoying Apple. No desire to return to Android

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
And now Sammy is sending me a free s8+. Score. Lol
58a788d3c3dcc9df6cc46092e9663d1e.jpg

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
What did I miss here? How why what
I'm part of their insight program. So they emailed me today a coupon code to go to their site and purchase the phone and VR for free. Completely free. Didn't think I was getting it this year. It's my 3rd year being part of it. So it ships in 1-3 days and I'll return my s8 back once it arrives next week.

blaine07

Case & Accessory Champion
Champion
Oct 16, 2014
Visit site
I'm part of their insight program. So they emailed me today a coupon code to go to their site and purchase the phone and VR for free. Completely free. Didn't think I was getting it this year. It's my 3rd year being part of it. So it ships in 1-3 days and I'll return my s8 back once it arrives next week.
Awesomeness lucky man lol. How many hoops you have to jump through out owning devices?

bassjo

Mar 26, 2016
Visit site
I had the Note 7 and it was a great device... (After I disabled tons of crap apps.) Once I had gotten the thing set up and running I really hated to give it up. But let me preach to the choir by saying the only set up process that was required on any of my iPhones was to plug it into my iMac and transfer all my stuff into them and maybe set up the ringer and notifications. As for Android devices eventually slowing down... all my iPhones have at one point or another slowed down and started acting goofy but all that was required to correct this was to reboot the device.

Last edited:

bassjo

Mar 26, 2016
Visit site
I pre-ordered the LG G6 because there are things I miss about Android. (No I don't just mean the customization) I received the device and activated and then spent the next 4.5 hours attempting to get my music onto it from my iMac. After I had finally succeeded I took the device out for a test drive. I connected it to my vehicle and got the Android version of CarPlay connected. One REAL disadvantage about Android and connecting it to your vehicle's infotainment center is there is no native music app... You have to use either Pandora or the like or you have to use Google Music. On the G6 I had already set the app preferences for Google Music to play only downloaded music and it could achieve this without buffering or stuttering. Needless to say I took that device back to the store the same day and went back to my iPhone. So right now I'm very wary of Android. I want something that just works without me having to spend 6 hours cussing, fussing, and tinkering to get it to work.

Last edited:

chezm

Trusted Member
Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
I pre-ordered the LG G6 because there are things I miss about Android. (No I don't just mean the customization) I received the device and activated and then spent the next 4.5 hours attempting to get my music onto it from my iMac. After I had finally succeeded I took the device out for a test drive. I connected it to my vehicle and got the Android version of CarPlay connected. One REAL disadvantage about Android and connecting it to your vehicle's infotainment center is there is no native music app... You have to use either Pandora or the like or you have to use Google Music. On the G6 I had already set the app preferences for Google Music to play only downloaded music and it could achieve this without buffering or stuttering. Needless to say I took that device back to the store the same day and went back to my iPhone. So right now I'm very wary of Android. I want something that just works without me having to spend 6 hours cussing, fussing, and tinkering to get it to work.

I used android auto for over a year and overall it was very reliable, especially google maps with my nexus 6P. However when using it with my previous S6, G3 and G4 I had nothing but problems from maps crashing to sections not loading. The thing that drove me really nuts with AA is even when the device was plugged it still connects to Bluetooth, and when I disconnect it physically it wanted me to repair with car BT EVERY time so annoying.

With that Said, my experience with carplay thus far has been very positive...I was concerned about using apple maps but it's been a pleasing experience with no hiccups. Carplay is much prettier and cleaner, easier to navigate and fluid.

bassjo

Mar 26, 2016
Visit site
iSyncr works well for getting iTunes playlists onto Android phones.

Yep when I had the G6 for that short period of time I used iSyncr but the issue I had is with the G6 randomly disconnecting while trying to transfer my music. The Samsung Smart Switch app works like iTunes and takes its info directly from iTunes. ( Such as music, movies, pictures, contacts, notes, etc...) but you cab only use it on a Samsung device.

anon(5630457)

Sep 29, 2015
Visit site
I had the S8+ and returned it after the honeymoon period was over. The battery life wasn't all that good. And if I was using an FHD resolution, I might as well be using an iPhone.

S8+ annoyances: FPS placement; facial recognition and iris scanner didn't work in low light; battery life was only adequate; so many settings!; speaker was only ok; Samsung software; no dual cameras; apps don't look as nice on Android; lack of good tempered glass screen protectors for the edge screen

S8+ likes: wireless charging; expandable memory (although, this is a non-issue on my 256GB iPhone 7 Plus); beautiful design; customization; quick charge!

The likes weren't enough to justify keeping the device so I returned it for the PRODUCT red 7 Plus.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
80c06c82aaa486e516a85c56d90e8694.jpg

d16c03eb1d431f5fd5818295eac96ca7.jpg

5.8" screen of Samsung to the 5.5" of 7 plus. The feel of the s8 is amazing. Makes the 7 plus feel like an awful brick.

chezm

Trusted Member
Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
How many inches does the real estate of the navigation buttons on android cover? What bothers me is that space is concerned screen real estate but isn't truly used. Even with my previous 6P other than watching videos did I see that portion of the screen used. My 2 cents

With that said, the iPhone is definitely a bigger phone in comparison. Those who dislike bezels, unlike myself, will love it.

blaine07

Case & Accessory Champion
Champion
Oct 16, 2014
Visit site
Wait, what are you trying to say? Lol
I shouldn't text that close to bed..

Anyways just trying ask what strings or requirements are there? Is it a pain in the bottom? So I was being sleepy and asked how many hoops getting a free one required one to jump through lol 😜

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
I gave a good friend who works for VERIZON. At her store the sales have their issues. Says it's a beautiful phone. No denying that. I think it's gorgeous but I don't like it. But the reps aren't happy because the screen protectors are subpar. Not easy to apply and they don't west well. Said their iPhone sales in her store are better than the new S8.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox