Galaxy S8 Anyone?

w00cash1020

Nov 24, 2015
Visit site
Big reason why I went s8. But I rarely use it to unlock it anyways. Mostly just use face recognition. I only use the finger scanner if face recognition fails.

I watched some guy break the face recognition with a selfie on another phone and then a printed picture lol.

manni1to

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
Replaced my 7 plus with an s8+ as my daily driver. Not regretting the decision. The screen on the galaxy is amazing and the 7plus feels like an ancient brick next to it. Still love apple though. I'm sure I'll be back with the rumored iPhone 8 redesign.

Easycure1974

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
Replaced my 7 plus with an s8+ as my daily driver. Not regretting the decision. The screen on the galaxy is amazing and the 7plus feels like an ancient brick next to it. Still love apple though. I'm sure I'll be back with the rumored iPhone 8 redesign.

Yeah the feel of the hardware is great - much better than the iPhone. But as always with Samsung the software is not as good and it destroys the initial joy of the beautiful hardware

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site

This is totally something that I would have done in the past. I get the new Galaxy and then as soon as the next iPhone comes out I jump back. I just don't want to do that anymore. I will wait and see what apple does. I am sure they are not going to disappoint.

Enjoy the S8+, it really is a very nice phone.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site

My s8 is my daily driver and my 7 Plus is stuffed away in a drawer. I also have a s7 edge so I'm not loyal to any one platform or company. I've had every galaxy since the s5. I love apple but my s8 feels like the future of smart phones. With that said, I can't wait to see what apple does with the iPhone 8.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
I am new on a personal level to Apple although been using iPad at work for 5 yrs since they brought to store levels
I was curious and played with it. But I switched for a damn good reason. Out of sheer frustration with Note 7 and going into the Note 5. I absolutely love my 7 plus. Have to be on 3G and not VERIZON LTE due to antenna but it's ok. Everything else makes up for it
My brother is still on Samsung. He wants to see the iPhone 8. He is in Branson. His IT guy has suggested he switch. I told him he would be impressed. He sometimes will listen to me.

Cladster

Nov 28, 2016
Visit site
The S8 doesn't even open to buy from retailers here in Australia till tomorrow 28th, but people have been getting them from Samsung direct or on contract from carriers for a week.
Already they are on gumtree sealed new for $300-500 cheaper than retail.
A S8 plus sold for $1000 retail is $1350AUD here.
Can get a S8 now with a 64GB card for $700 retail $1199.

It's always been the same with all Samsung flagships dropping $2-300 within a month or so, but this is madness not even on the shelves yet.
I would never buy a Samsung on release you are throwing $$ down the drain.

chezm

Trusted Member
Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
My brother is still on Samsung. He wants to see the iPhone 8. He is in Branson. His IT guy has suggested he switch. I told him he would be impressed. He sometimes will listen to me.

I have many family members who just dont like iPhone, and i have many family members who just dont like Android. It really comes down to the person and how they use their device, Android does a lot of things iPhone's can't. While we prefer iPhone's, and to our own opinions rightfully so, it may not apply the same to someone else. I'd suggest allowing your brother the opportunity, if permitted, to play around with your phone and ask questions about iOS so he can make a comparison. For example, i know not having a back button would drive many people i know who use Android into a frenzy or not having the ability to place icons where they want on the screen freely. just my 2 cents.

With those who got an S8, thats awesome news and keep us posted on your experience. My sister got hers at launch and loves it, not surprising since she went from an S5.

Nixs1

Sep 9, 2015
Visit site
My family all uses iPhones except me I bounce back and forth a lot. I picked up the s8 on release day and to my surprise I haven't picked up my iPhone once. Not sure how long it will last until I do

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
I loved Samsung. But I got frustrated with everything after Note 7. I am enjoying Apple. I still have my S2 tablet. But my iPad Pro and Mac Pro being used more

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
My family all uses iPhones except me I bounce back and forth a lot. I picked up the s8 on release day and to my surprise I haven't picked up my iPhone once. Not sure how long it will last until I do
I got my s8 on launch day too. It just feels so good in hand for having a 5.8" screen. I've had no interest in using my 7 plus. It's stuffed away in a drawer.

flappah

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site
Nope. I'm not ever going back to Samsung again. Have had absolutely atrocious experiences with Samsung phones and am never ever going to consider that brand again. I'll just stick to my iPhone6s-plus until the next iPhone is released.

Prime Tambayong

Mar 11, 2015
Visit site
Maybe not the S8, would prefer last year phones, the S7 or the note 7 if sold refurbished. The S8 improves mainly in the display, otherwise, better speaker than the miserable S7 and better headphone to the S7 and slightly better camera results.

I still prefer a front facing fingerprint sensor, and a flatter screen because I want to use a tempered glass on it and I won't be disappointed if android O won't come to the S8 until next year.

Something I really like about the S8 and wish apple to do the same. The onscreen home button is always on and I do wish apple have a smaller bezel phone, with Touch ID under the screen and always on home button with a 3D Touch on each edge, which could be active even when the phone is locked or in any other app. iOS already use the left edge to 3D Touch to the last app, so why not make a right edge 3D Touch to camera in any app and when locked, the top edge should on and off the flashlight.

Of course on the hardware side, iPhones should get QHD amoled but running at 1080p unless it's running videos and photos, DEX is a brilliant idea and Samsung seems to do a good job at it on the software side, hardware wise could be better if it comes in a portable keyboard dock using the phone screen as a touchpad. Camera software should also allow for RAW in the native app and easier settings and since apple has been using multi frame on the iPhone 7, it may also improve further to get close to the pixel photos.

Adawg1203

May 9, 2011
Visit site
I know Samsung takes a lot of criticism over their products. I do not think fairly especially in an Apple forum which is to be expected.

I still use a Note 5 (work) and IPhone 6s Plus for everything else. People talk about Samsung devices as if they are saddled with issues and the truth of the matter is, they just aren't.

Perhaps we have blocked the fact that iPhones act wonky time to time also. I know apps force close, safari can lag, battery can just drain for no apparent reason forcing a hard reset amongst other issues. I don't want to pretend the IPhone is perfection because it definitely isn't. My note 5 has been rock solid since day one and doesn't do anything worse than my iPhone 6s Plus when it comes to software type issues. When I had the note 7 it was the best device I had ever owned and the experience was fantastic.

I really liked the Galaxy S8 and can see why folks would flock to it. It's really that nice! Perfect? No. But boy it's a great piece of hardware and I found the software to be pretty tight. Unfortunately, its not for me because I like my Note 5, for work, way too much and would miss the stylus aspect.

The one thing that can be said for Samsung and the products they release is that they take risks. They take risks on software, hardware, and even designs. Apple plays things safe. Simple design and simple software. Not that its a bad thing because it definitely isn't.

lemony0

Jan 24, 2017
Visit site
I can't face going back to a bloated, slow, ugly and poorly thought out Android. I'm sure it's a great phone in the grand scheme of things but I won't be swapping my iPhone 7 for one.

volsfan0911

Jun 6, 2008
Visit site
Friend got an S8. Damn sexy hardware for sure. But having gone back to iOS now, I'd have a really HARD time going back to Samsung. But I do hope that Apple borrows all the design language from the S8/G6/Xiaomi for the upcoming iPhone 8. Nearly bezel-less display with 85% display ratio or better and the taller/narrower form factor. I didn't like the S7 edge at all but note 7 and S8 are fine with their less severe curvatures. I will give the S8 "best display ever on a phone award" right now. Cranked up to UHD res and set on photo? Absolutely gorgeous!

reeneebob

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
I know Samsung takes a lot of criticism over their products. I do not think fairly especially in an Apple forum which is to be expected.

Maybe not anyone else, but for me any criticism about Samsung is that I've owned 5 of their flagships and not one of them didn't go belly up do to hardware failure or software issues. Not one.

Meanwhile I've owned 6 iPhones any never had so much as a hiccup. Ever.

My criticism of Samsung is well rooted in personal experience.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR