Galaxy S8 Anyone?

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Nope, no S8 for me. While I really do miss Nova Prime and all the icon packs I had on Android, not to mention all the custom roms, iOS works without me having to continually tinker and tweak it.

dejanh

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
I picked up an S8+ as my second device. Right now I'm using it as my primary device but I will be switching back to my iPhone 7 Plus soon. This isn't because of any feature limitation of the iPhone or the S8+, rather just because I get bored with the same phone and platform relatively quickly.

My assessment is as follows. If you want well integrated ecosystem, timely updates, and polished apps, then the iPhone is for you. If you want to have the best reading and multimedia experience (basically content consumption is your primary driver) then the S8+ is your choice. The screen on the S8+ is well beyond what the iPhone can offer. I realize that there are skeptics here, but you cannot argue with factual differences when you put the two devices side by side.

chezm

Trusted Member
Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
I realize that there are skeptics here, but you cannot argue with factual differences when you put the two devices side by side.

Maybe we aren't skeptics and don't prefer a curved display with an odd ratio which isn't universally supported (maybe down the road it will but not now).

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
So stupid why would they make something like that out of plastic?! It's something that you will be taking out a few times throughout ownership. Every phone I've owned it's been metal. Stupid Samsung!

dejanh

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
Maybe we aren't skeptics and don't prefer a curved display with an odd ratio which isn't universally supported (maybe down the road it will but not now).

There is no issue with the screen ratio. Everything on the phone works perfectly, including video, using the 2:1 ratio. It's very close to 16:9 and as such very little changes. I am not sure if you actually owned and used the phone for a while, but if you did you would very likely agree with me. I can see that the screen curves can be an annoyance for some but again, as someone who owns both, and has also owned the Note5, S7 Edge, Note7, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6s Plus, and now S8+ and iPhone 7 Plus I can certainly say that Samsung has evolved their use of curves substantially. They are much tighter now and don't really interfere with use. This was the case on the Note7 and continues to the S8 series.

chezm

Trusted Member
Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
There is no issue with the screen ratio. Everything on the phone works perfectly, including video, using the 2:1 ratio. It's very close to 16:9 and as such very little changes. I am not sure if you actually owned and used the phone for a while, but if you did you would very likely agree with me. I can see that the screen curves can be an annoyance for some but again, as someone who owns both, and has also owned the Note5, S7 Edge, Note7, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6s Plus, and now S8+ and iPhone 7 Plus I can certainly say that Samsung has evolved their use of curves substantially. They are much tighter now and don't really interfere with use. This was the case on the Note7 and continues to the S8 series.

I never said there was an issue with the ratio, I just don't like it. I used the S8 for a couple of hours total, not my personal so my wife experience is purely just fooling around. I don't like the curve screen, even when I was going between the S6 and edge, I decided on standard as I wasn't a fan and after a few years now I'm still not a fan. If I had the opportunity to use as many devices as you have maybe I tone would be different, but that's not my situation.

With that said, some of us may not be skeptics and just not a fan.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site

This is good to hear. I had both the S7 Edge and Note 7 and the Note 7 was a huge improvement with the curved screen. I have not tried the S8 long enough to really form an opinion on the screen ratio but I'm glad to hear your view. I wish I could spend a week or two with the S8. I have a feeling I will bite the bullet and spend some time with the Note 8 when it comes out.

anon(73368)

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
c19bb23b5aeb31b147ab1b2981b42a51.png

I wish Tapatalk would fix this

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal