There's three forms of biometrics on the S8s--facial recognition, iris scanner, and fingerprint sensor. The iPhone 7 Plus only has the FPS. Samung Pay is also leaps and bounds better than Apple Pay because it uses MST technology. It can work on every single credit card terminal. It doesn't need an NFC terminal like Apple Pay. The screen resolution is also better on the S8s. QHD looks gorgeous compared to 1080.
    I'm in total agreement on the screen. I get that. I've used Samsung Pay a lot actually and I will agree that it can be used in more places. It's certainly just as easy to use as Apple Pay, but can be used in more places. I used the iris scanner on the Note 7 and while cool, it definitely wasn't replacing the fingerprint yet. I think that options are great though. I am very much a fan of android and of Samsung as a company.

What I still don't see is how any of those make the S8 "leaps and bounds" better than the iPhone. That was the quote I was referring to in my original post.

I don't deny that Apple is behind Android in a couple areas, but it could also be argued that Android is behind Apple in some areas. That's all I was saying. They both have strengths and weaknesses. Neither is overall leaps and bounds ahead of the other.
    jes1888 likes this.
    05-08-2017 10:16 AM
    They both have strengths and weaknesses. Neither is overall leaps and bounds ahead of the other.
    I agree with you there.
    cwbcpa likes this.
    05-08-2017 10:19 AM
    I was thinking of getting the black grip. I haven't decided. What did you do for screen protector? Gonna try the zagg sapphire and hope that's a good one.

I either will get the symmetry or the Speck grip. I like the pelican though. The screen protector on it isn't perfect but it's better than not having anything at all.
    The official Samsung screen protector for the S8+ is fantastic. I have it on mine. It's not glass, but it fits perfectly and allows for many cases to be used as well. Only drawback is I had to find it on eBay because for some reason, Sammy isn't selling it in the states right now.
    05-08-2017 10:20 AM
    I'm in total agreement on the screen. I get that. I've used Samsung Pay a lot actually and I will agree that it can be used in more places. It's certainly just as easy to use as Apple Pay, but can be used in more places. I used the iris scanner on the Note 7 and while cool, it definitely wasn't replacing the fingerprint yet. I think that options are great though. I am very much a fan of android and of Samsung as a company.

What I still don't see is how these any of those make the S8 "leaps and bounds" better than the iPhone. That was the quote I was referring to in my original post.

I don't deny that Apple is behind Android in a couple areas, but it could also be argued that Android is behind Apple in some areas. That's all I was saying. They both have strengths and weaknesses. Neither is overall leaps and bounds ahead of the other.
    While I tend to agree with you, there are little things Android does that just make me smile - and I wish Apple would implement. Take "Smart Lock" for instance. Absolutely brilliant. Between location and Bluetooth, I rarely have to unlock my phone. "Always on Display" and "Double Tap to Wake" are two other features, that although can be considered minor, are fantastic. And while this is a hardware feature, the ability of many Android devices to double click the power button to open the camera is so much better than Apple's shortcut. Those are just a few of the little things I'd like to see Apple do - soon.
    05-08-2017 10:26 AM
    While I tend to agree with you, there are little things Android does that just make me smile - and I wish Apple would implement. Take "Smart Lock" for instance. Absolutely brilliant. Between location and Bluetooth, I rarely have to unlock my phone. "Always on Display" and "Double Tap to Wake" are two other features, that although can be considered minor, are fantastic. And while this is a hardware feature, the ability of many Android devices to double click the power button to open the camera is so much better than Apple's shortcut. Those are just a few of the little things I'd like to see Apple do - soon.
    Oh yeah! I am on board with every single one of those! Great points that have slipped my memory. Maybe it has been too long on an iOS device. I have never gone this long away from Android. It's been six months... I am at least hanging on until the Note 8 is announced and I see what iOS 11 and the September iPhone announcements are.
    sangs likes this.
    05-08-2017 10:30 AM
    I gave the S8+ a second go but no. It will go back today. The only thing I like is the screen and minimal bezel. The software is still crap, the camera is not that much better if better at all. The audio is crap, both speaker and with headphones. It felt great a couple of days admiring the nice hardware. But using it is no joy. The iris scanner is so bad and the fingerprint reader is not that great besides the bad placement it has. Everything I do is slower on the S8 and more annoying to use. Great looking but that is all positive words I will give it after two weeks of use
    The software is hardly "crap." Does it take some getting used to after using the simplicity of Apple for a while? Certainly. But crap? Come on, that's a bit harsh. As for audio, I used my AirPods with my S8+ and it sounds exactly the same as on my iPhone 7+. The Iris Scanner works perfectly, including through my sunglasses. Agree on the FPS, both location and use. I still prefer the iPhone 7+, but that's mainly because of iMessage and living in an Apple-centric ecosystem at home.
    05-08-2017 10:32 AM
    There's three forms of biometrics on the S8s--facial recognition, iris scanner, and fingerprint sensor. The iPhone 7 Plus only has the FPS. Samung Pay is also leaps and bounds better than Apple Pay because it uses MST technology. It can work on every single credit card terminal. It doesn't need an NFC terminal like Apple Pay. The screen resolution is also better on the S8s. QHD looks gorgeous compared to 1080.
    Yes there are three forms but non of them work good enough. Rather have one form always working them three of them working sometimes
    anon(5630457) likes this.
    05-08-2017 10:34 AM
    The software is hardly "crap." Does it take some getting used to after using the simplicity of Apple for a while? Certainly. But crap? Come on, that's a bit harsh. As for audio, I used my AirPods with my S8+ and it sounds exactly the same as on my iPhone 7+. The Iris Scanner works perfectly, including through my sunglasses. Agree on the FPS, both location and use. I still prefer the iPhone 7+, but that's mainly because of iMessage and living in an Apple-centric ecosystem at home.
    That's great to hear about the AirPods. I love mine and would hate to give them up. I too am in an Apple-centric home. It's always a challenge with the family when I go back to android. I could never get them to switch. I have tried a few times to no avail. The best solution for me is to carry both, but that just seems like a waste of money. I certainly don't need two phones.
    mpshah likes this.
    05-08-2017 10:38 AM
    The Samsung software is crap All this awesome hardware and it still lags from time to time and it still looks like some kid designed it. My budget Honor 8 flies circles around my S8 and it is one third of the price of the S8.
    I had tried two different S8+ and the iris scanner perhaps works 50% of the time at best for me, not good enough - just annoying.
    You are the first one I have heard about that finds the audio to be as good as the iPhone, for me it was not even close
    05-08-2017 10:40 AM
    I gave the S8+ a second go but no. It will go back today. The only thing I like is the screen and minimal bezel. The software is still crap, the camera is not that much better if better at all. The audio is crap, both speaker and with headphones. It felt great a couple of days admiring the nice hardware. But using it is no joy. The iris scanner is so bad and the fingerprint reader is not that great besides the bad placement it has. Everything I do is slower on the S8 and more annoying to use. Great looking but that is all positive words I will give it after two weeks of use
    Totally agree!! Same goes for me. I got a free phone through Samsung tried it for a few hours and I absolutely hated the software! I was slower on it and agreed the speaker is not good compared to the 7+. Hardware was nice but I prefer the 7+. It's so bad I'm sending back a free phone. Want nothing to do with it.
    Easycure1974 likes this.
    05-08-2017 10:46 AM
    Totally agree!! Same goes for me. I got a free phone through Samsung tried it for a few hours and I absolutely hated the software! I was slower on it and agreed the speaker is not good compared to the 7+. Hardware was nice but I prefer the 7+. It's so bad I'm sending back a free phone. Want nothing to do with it.
    I might have some more success than you with the s8.

I cracked my ip7 256gb almost 5 months ago. I finally got around to getting it fixed and I noticed the camera lens was cracked as well. I know Apple will want the $319 o replace the phone instead of the $129 screen repair. So I convinced myself to have a screen repair guy do it. He did and it works but I hate it now. After he was leaving I was realizing what I had done. Didn't take long for my fears to be realized. The screen is not all that great. It's choppy looks like crap in the sun among other things.

So I am going to put the ip7 in the box and trade it in on a new iPhone when they drop. I don't think there is anyway this ip7 with this screen can be better than the new galaxy..... right? I will find out when I get my free s8 tomorrow.
    chezm likes this.
    05-08-2017 11:06 AM

I cracked my ip7 256gb almost 5 months ago. I finally got around to getting it fixed and I noticed the camera lens was cracked as well. I know Apple will want the $319 o replace the phone instead of the $129 screen repair. So I convinced myself to have a screen repair guy do it. He did and it works but I hate it now. After he was leaving I was realizing what I had done. Didn't take long for my fears to be realized. The screen is not all that great. It's choppy looks like crap in the sun among other things.

So I am going to put the ip7 in the box and trade it in on a new iPhone when they drop. I don't think there is anyway this ip7 with this screen can be better than the new galaxy..... right? I will find out when I get my free s8 tomorrow.
    It's all preference but man I was all about giving it a fair chance and the software just didn't work for me. Apple is much easier to use. If I liked android a % I would keep it and continue to do the insight survey. But I really rather not mess with it and ship it back and continue to use my 7+.
    chezm likes this.
    05-08-2017 11:09 AM

In regards to your screen I highly recommend AppleCare + it would only cost you 29 bucks to replace by apple.
    05-08-2017 11:09 AM
    So I picked up an S8+ on Friday and have used it as my daily driver all weekend. Here's my opinion... The S8+ is an awesome phone and I think Samsung has knocked it out of the park when it comes to the hardware design of this device, (sans FPS). I even think this years version of TouchWiz is the lightest it's ever been.

Let’s talk pro’s, one would be Samsung's setup process to switch between devices, I plugged the lightning cable into my iPhone 7+ and used the adapter to connect the other end to the S8+ and in less than 30 minutes I had the it setup and ready to roll. Another pro is the outstanding battery life. One of the biggest cons that I have and honestly makes this a deal breaker for me is finding decent replacement apps for those I used on my iPhone. (Seriously, try finding a decent workout log app on Android.)

One other con I've noticed right out of the box with this particular device is lag. But to clarify I'm not completely sold that it is a device issue, it has only happened while trying different apps to replace those from IOS. Also speaking of the apps, quite a few of them are horrible, nothing like their IOS counterparts. As much as I hate to admit it, this phone is going back to Verizon today and I’ll be sticking with what works. Let’s hope the next gen iPhone is a game-changer.
    05-08-2017 11:11 AM
    The official Samsung screen protector for the S8+ is fantastic. I have it on mine. It's not glass, but it fits perfectly and allows for many cases to be used as well. Only drawback is I had to find it on eBay because for some reason, Sammy isn't selling it in the states right now.
    Thanks! I found it and ordered it! How's the coverage? And scratch resistance?
    sangs likes this.
    05-08-2017 11:20 AM
    In regards to your screen I highly recommend AppleCare + it would only cost you 29 bucks to replace by apple.
    I usually do that but didn't get around to do it this year. Big time regret. The problem is I had been enjoying no case. And I mean I loved it with no case. But it cost me. So I am gonna give this s8 program a shot.
    05-08-2017 11:24 AM
    Ok keep me posted. S8 I just couldn't get it to work for me lol
    05-08-2017 11:32 AM
    Thanks! I found it and ordered it! How's the coverage? And scratch resistance?
    I broke it down in detail replying to your PM, but coverage and scratch resistance are excellent.
    05-08-2017 12:20 PM
    You are the first one I have heard about that finds the audio to be as good as the iPhone, for me it was not even close
    Maybe depends on the headphones. It certainly sounds no different on my AirPods, or when I use it through my bluetooth speakers at home or in the car.
    05-08-2017 12:28 PM
    I have to laugh when I read that people have tried it for "a few hours" and felt it "was slow" during that time and then decide it's crap. As if a few hours is enough time to make a decision on anything. I wouldn't be married if I went with only the first seven hours with my wife of 20 years.

Not to mention, when you load something up with apps and set it up the first time, it takes a little bit to settle in. There are things I don't like about the Samsung experience - scrolling especially, and as I mentioned earlier, I prefer my 7+ - but you should give these things a fair shake before making such definitive statements. Sounds like people go in with a mindset and come hell or high water aren't going to change that mindset. "There, I tried it. Android sucks. Bah!"
    05-08-2017 12:36 PM
    I used Android phones over the last few years many times and have most ofter preferred them. (My last being the Note 7) However this time is different, I feel I've given it a fair shake over the last three days and my expectations haven’t been met. My biggest issue was two-fold, (a) finding the same or comparable apps to what I’ve become accustom to and (b) apps that didn't look like or behave like crap.
    05-08-2017 01:04 PM
    I have to laugh when I read that people have tried it for "a few hours" and felt it "was slow" during that time and then decide it's crap. As if a few hours is enough time to make a decision on anything. I wouldn't be married if I went with only the first seven hours with my wife of 20 years.

Not to mention, when you load something up with apps and set it up the first time, it takes a little bit to settle in. There are things I don't like about the Samsung experience - scrolling especially, and as I mentioned earlier, I prefer my 7+ - but you should give these things a fair shake before making such definitive statements. Sounds like people go in with a mindset and come hell or high water aren't going to change that mindset. "There, I tried it. Android sucks. Bah!"
    I think in terms of most things you would know with hrs if it's gonna fit your needs. I've tried the s7edge last year and the s8 this year and it's just not for me. Not saying it's crap. It's just not for me iOS works better for my needs.
    Last edited by Slammers08; 05-08-2017 at 02:19 PM.
    sangs likes this.
    05-08-2017 01:04 PM
    Stock android and Moto are the only phones I've used that I can say are almost lag free, every oem no matter how optimized suffers. It's unfortunate but the truth, over time anyway.

After 3 years on android (mix of Samsung, lg and nexus) I am nothing but pleased with iOS. I knew what I was getting as I use a 6S as a work phone. It does the job, always...it handling multitasking top notch.
    05-08-2017 01:47 PM
    Today I sent the S8+ back after two weeks and got myself a lovely iPhone 7 Plus 256 GB in red, such a beauty Feels great to be "home" again
    05-09-2017 11:45 AM
    I think I'm so hellbound to see the new iPhone that the S8+ doesn't cut it for me in the end, which is probably why I didn't enjoy it when I had it. I'm hoping I don't raise my hopes too high with Apple, but I usually do. The 7S wouldn't be enough to make me upgrade
    jaleesag88 and cwbcpa like this.
    05-09-2017 02:59 PM
497 ... 910111213 ...