Which streaming service do you recommend for music?

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Re: Who do you recommend for music

I have all my music on iTunes, and also on google play. Around 30GB of music. With unlimited data, I can choose to stream or listen to the music on my phone. No way will I pay $10 a month to stream music.

I'm just curious, are you against paying for streaming because you don't own the music or is it something else?

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Who do you recommend for music

I'm just curious, are you against paying for streaming because you don't own the music or is it something else?

What I gather is that he uses Google Play to stream his purchased music.
He doesn't feel much for paying for songs on a streaming service.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site

What I gather is that he uses Google Play to stream his purchased music.
He doesn't feel much for paying for songs on a streaming service.

Thank you. Yeah I understood that much from what was said. I was just curious if he was someone that preferred to buy all of his music as opposed to basically paying a monthly fee to listen to as much as you want. I think it's interesting how music distribution has changed. So if someone is still buying a CD and uploading it to Google Play or iTunes I think that is interesting and also rare. I wasn't criticizing anyone. I was just interested in a different perspective if that was the case.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site

Thank you. Yeah I understood that much from what was said. I was just curious if he was someone that preferred to buy all of his music as opposed to basically paying a monthly fee to listen to as much as you want. I think it's interesting how music distribution has changed. So if someone is still buying a CD and uploading it to Google Play or iTunes I think that is interesting and also rare. I wasn't criticizing anyone. I was just interested in a different perspective if that was the case.

I understand. I, personally, have my previously purchased songs uploaded (and matched) to Music. And still, if I like a song very much, I choose to purchase it from iTunes. Just in case on a day I decide that I don't want to pay for streaming services anymore, I will still have those songs in my library.

DarlaMack

Apple TV Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Dec 8, 2011
Visit site

I use Pandora sometimes and Google Play.... but I'm strictly Apple Music mixed with iTunes Match assisted by Shazaam. Lol I'm firmly committed to Apple Music because I have a family plan and the integration works well for me. It really depends on what you are looking for... as for me I love regular paid music but I also love original mixes which are mostly found on SoundCloud. FYI... not sure if this applies to you but Apple Music also has a student membership that costs $4.99. Apple Music Student Membership

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site

When I was using Android / Google phones, I was using Google Music. I've also tried Spotify and Pandora. I still use Pandora (free) but I'm paying for Apple Music now that I'm on iOS. I guess I could still be using Google Music, but when I switched to iOS I also tried Apple Music and I liked it so I stayed with it.

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site

Apple Music. Currently on a three month free trial that came with my Beats X. Was on Amazon Music through Prime but cancelled it because the music selection wasn't as great as Apple Music

I have really liked Amazon Music Unlimited, not to be confused with Amazon Music -- Amazon Music is free with Prime, with only about 2 million songs; Music Unlimited is their $9.99/month; it is reduced to $7.99/month if you have prime, or you can pay $79 per year (works out to $6.67/month); then if you have an Amazon Echo, Dot, or Tap it is only $3.99 month and claims to have roughly 40 million songs (compared to 30 million for Spotify and Apple Music).

I've had a hard time training Apple Music to know what kind of music I like, it still gives me songs I just don't like. Amazon, over a shorter time, seems to have done a good job of figuring out my musical tastes. I've also liked Google Play Music and it has gotten much better since it started but I still don't think they do as well at exposing you to newer music that you might like, though the YouTube Red is a really nice feature.

Of course, the big advantage Apple Music has is the way it integrates with Siri and your Apple devices.

Chuck_IV

Apr 12, 2016
Visit site
Who do you recommend for music

We had Apple Music for about 6 months but switched to Spotify and like it better.

For us, Spotify just does a better job with recommending music and their playlist fit us better.

If you have never been a member of either, I believe they both have a 3 month trial. Try them both and see which one fits better.

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site

Spotify free, I tried Apple Music's trial run and didn't like it, occasionally I'll listen to the few tracks I purchased while trying it, but I don't like the sort of magazine-y, DJ ish,we'll tell you what to like interface. I choose the free service because I don't want to pay to listen to music,I have several wireless sets and £10 pcm for a couple of hours a week does not appeal. I also have radio.net if bored.

joemd60

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site

Prime members only pay $79 annually for music unlimited. It works for me, I am quite happy with it.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site

Trying Apple. So far so good. I like downloading albums on The genres I like

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site

I’ve been using both Spotify and Apple Music for awhile now.
Since I’m an Apple fanboy, I’d recommend Apple Music for it’s integration throughout iOS.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

Whatever floats your boat........Each have their strengths. I basically stick with either Music or Amazon Music. In ‘certain genres’ I find that Amazon curates music a bit better, but my custom playlists are via Music.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site

I have SiriusXM in my car so I have the app on my phone and use it at my computer at work.

TheRandomDealio

Apr 13, 2017
Visit site

We use Apple Music (Family Sharing). I have an 18 year old, 14 year old and a 5 year old. Needless to say...we don’t all listen to the same music. Apple Music has been the one most likely to have something for all of us.

cckgz4

May 11, 2011
Visit site

I use google music and the main incentive for that is you can upload your music to their storage and it’ll be in your library.

jj2339

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site

I use google music and the main incentive for that is you can upload your music to their storage and it’ll be in your library.

Me too, ability to load my own music into the service and mix with the streaming service is great. Plus I got in at the ground floor and have it for 7.99 a month.

Wish I could use Siri with it when I'm driving like I could with Apple music when i did the free three month preview, but Apple music didn't offer as much I didn't think.

calebt

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I use Apple music, but try them all and see what you like, I believe most have some kind of free trial.

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
I have Google Play Music, I like it because it also gives me YouTube without the added commercials. I use it primarily if I want to play a particular album or artist. If I just want "radio" or a playlist in a particular genre, I'll use Amazon Prime Music (the one that comes free with your Prime account, not the extra fee subscription); I've had better success on Amazon finding a playlist of music or radio station that plays music I like but may not of heard before. I use Apple Music to play my own playlists, typically loaded to my phone. Last, I currently have a free trial with Tidal but I find I'm really only using it when I want a high quality stream.

dubstir

Mar 5, 2015
Visit site
I use SiriusXM in the car, but I plan on cancelling for intermittent signal issues, cost, and quality of desired music. I use Amazon Prime Music (not Unlimited) in the house on the Echo and sporadically in the car through the iOS app and BT. It's one more step to do vs XM, but I find it's selection is better and artists are more related to one another per "station". Plus you get all the other benefits of Prime for only $99/year... done deal for me.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR