New to ios, very interesting

gentletouch

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
This is my story.

I've been and android (and other phones) user since 2009(anybody remember Samsung moment?)
I switched between android and blackberry, due that fact that android back in the day was....unreliable. Blackberry was solid despite hardware was not durable. I still have my bold 9900 for sentimental reasons.

You name it I'll probably have it, palm treo's (an excellent phone back in the day) palm pre, all the galaxy line, htc sensation(uggh) and yes I had a note 7 and I went back to a note 5 I had,which in my opinion was the best android I ever had.

moving forward to the end of 2016 I sold the note 5 and I got my self a brand-new shinny s7 edge thinking I got the best phone, you know the deal.

well.

I replaced that baby 3 times...since December!!!!.

The last time, I was loading up an attachment to send out to my my boss from the road... a critical-sensitive pdf doc and the phone went black....died ....nada ....just imagine the feeling..oh and the sucker never turn on. "That won't ever happen to you with an iPhone, get rid of that piece of crap" my boss said. My face turned as white as a sheet of paper.

I decided, with the tail between my legs, to call my daughter, who has been an iPhone girl since the iPhone 4, by the way I always made fun of her having a phone so "limited".... and she said" I knew the day will come, now who has the last laugh eh dad?
I decided to switch and got a 7 plus matte black...so help me God.

That was this past Thursday. Two days and I was really frustrated...like, where in the word I setup thealarm the way I want it? you know stuff like that. Yesterday(Saturday) I decided to put a little "test" on this apple customer care? I think that's the name. A guy picked up the call and I, politely ranted about my frustrations not able to have a setup somehow similar as my s7 edge. He did a remote on my phone and he said with a calm voice "what do you want to setup? My eyes just popped...man that was awesome.

today I have to say that I don't miss anything from my defunct s7 edge at all...yes there's differences, but I had no idea how capable this phone is.

I am not bashing the android system by no means. On android, I think that, notifications are more intuitive, the flexibility of changing launchers, the fast charging etc. are better. But sometimes less is more. On android, it always feels like riding on a Ferrari with a flat tire - there's always something funny going on with android. I was always tolerant with those issues, but, this is it.

MooMooPrincess

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Welcome to imore!

I love my 7 plus but capable? Nah I don't see it but that's just me. (I feel like android/iOS only becomes "capable" once rooted and jailbroken) But im happy to see you're happy with your 7plus ❤️.

erichards2

Apr 9, 2016
Visit site
Welcome! Glad you made the switch from the dark side! :) Yes, apple's technical support is great, my favorite way to communicate with them is through instant message. Glad things have worked out! If you need help with anything, make a post and we can try to help you out. Cheers!

Technified

Jan 26, 2017
Visit site
Welcome! I made the switch from Android a couple of months ago and have no regrets on making the switch! There is a learning curve, but that's with anything that's new. Once you dive in Android will become a distant memory, at least for me it is lol! Enjoy your new iPhone!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
This is my story.

I've been and android (and other phones) user since 2009(anybody remember Samsung moment?)
I switched between android and blackberry, due that fact that android back in the day was....unreliable. Blackberry was solid despite hardware was not durable. I still have my bold 9900 for sentimental reasons.

You name it I'll probably have it, palm treo's (an excellent phone back in the day) palm pre, all the galaxy line, htc sensation(uggh) and yes I had a note 7 and I went back to a note 5 I had,which in my opinion was the best android I ever had.

moving forward to the end of 2016 I sold the note 5 and I got my self a brand-new shinny s7 edge thinking I got the best phone, you know the deal.

well.

I replaced that baby 3 times...since December!!!!.

The last time, I was loading up an attachment to send out to my my boss from the road... a critical-sensitive pdf doc and the phone went black....died ....nada ....just imagine the feeling..oh and the sucker never turn on. "That won't ever happen to you with an iPhone, get rid of that piece of crap" my boss said. My face turned as white as a sheet of paper.

I decided, with the tail between my legs, to call my daughter, who has been an iPhone girl since the iPhone 4, by the way I always made fun of her having a phone so "limited".... and she said" I knew the day will come, now who has the last laugh eh dad?
I decided to switch and got a 7 plus matte black...so help me God.

That was this past Thursday. Two days and I was really frustrated...like, where in the word I setup thealarm the way I want it? you know stuff like that. Yesterday(Saturday) I decided to put a little "test" on this apple customer care? I think that's the name. A guy picked up the call and I, politely ranted about my frustrations not able to have a setup somehow similar as my s7 edge. He did a remote on my phone and he said with a calm voice "what do you want to setup? My eyes just popped...man that was awesome.

today I have to say that I don't miss anything from my defunct s7 edge at all...yes there's differences, but I had no idea how capable this phone is.

I am not bashing the android system by no means. On android, I think that, notifications are more intuitive, the flexibility of changing launchers, the fast charging etc. are better. But sometimes less is more. On android, it always feels like riding on a Ferrari with a flat tire - there's always something funny going on with android. I was always tolerant with those issues, but, this is it.

Many of us have been there, my friend. Anyway, welcome to the iPhone and iOS.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Greetings and salutations. Pretty much the same story here. I had all Google/Nexus devices and in April 2016 decided to give iOS a shot. No regrets in my decision. Now I have a 7 Plus, iPad Pro, Apple Watch, and Apple TV (4th edition).

Welcome to the family.

jmr1015

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
Welcome. iOS has been good to me, and I hope it continues to be good to you.

Sometimes I miss my Nexus 4 and Nexus 7, and the widgets and customizability of Android, and wireless charging... but then I remember the struggle of always trying to chase down the best and most recent and stable custom ROMs and Kernels, never really feeling like I had real control over App permissions, wake lock issues killing half my battery while I sleep, and not really being able to comfortably use my phone while it was "wireless" charging, since it has to stay in contact with the charging surface. At least when wired charging, I can pick up the phone and make calls, play games, take photos, whatever I can, given the length of the charging cable.

If I ever went back to Android, I really like that new LG G6, and the Moto Z Droids have had my attention since they came out.

gentletouch

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
The LG G6 looks beautiful. The last phone I rooted was the note 3. I think Android has improved a lot since the gingerbread days. But like I said, there's always something going on with android. Another thing I realized is that, you can go crazy tweaking your phone, but will come a time that you just get tired of it.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
Welcome to Apple and iMore. I was a 12 yr Android and after frustration with the whole Note 7 and switching to Note 5...hated that device. Am very happy with my choice to dump Samsung. 7Plus iPad Pro 12.9 and MacPro. Complete switched. Hate windows 10. Mac Pro awesome

anon(5630457)

Sep 29, 2015
Visit site
I have an iPhone 7 Plus and I just picked up the LG G6. I love both ecosystems. I love iOS because it works right when you turn on the phone for the first time. With Android, you have to tinker with everything to get it the way you want it, which can be fun. I also like the hardware features on Android phones, such as the wireless charging, the quick charging, and the bigger screen in a smaller body (my LG G6 has a 5.7" screen and it's an inch shorter than my 7+!).

I use both and I love both. I'll use my iPhone one day and switch over to an Android phone another day.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I have an iPhone 7 Plus and I just picked up the LG G6. I love both ecosystems. I love iOS because it works right when you turn on the phone for the first time. With Android, you have to tinker with everything to get it the way you want it, which can be fun. I also like the hardware features on Android phones, such as the wireless charging, the quick charging, and the bigger screen in a smaller body (my LG G6 has a 5.7" screen and it's an inch shorter than my 7+!).

I use both and I love both. I'll use my iPhone one day and switch over to an Android phone another day.

What do you think of the G6 so far? I think I would be more interested in it than the S8. I think they should have gone with 64gb of internal storage, but I definitely like the form factor. The last LG I had was the G4 and I really liked it. I didn't have any of the bootloop issues some people had.

anon(5630457)

Sep 29, 2015
Visit site
What do you think of the G6 so far? I think I would be more interested in it than the S8. I think they should have gone with 64gb of internal storage, but I definitely like the form factor. The last LG I had was the G4 and I really liked it. I didn't have any of the bootloop issues some people had.

The G6 is an amazing phone. It's about an inch shorter than the 7 Plus and it's about 1/3 inch narrower than the 7+, but it's a 5.7 inch screen. I've been getting 5, 5.5 hours SoT every day so far. Like you, I'm bummed that it only comes in 32GB ROM, but the microSD slot really helps. I have a 200GB microSD card in it so that's not an issue. The dual cameras are awesome! I don't know why more phones don't have a wide angle lens. I'd rather have that than the zoom lens in the 7+.

I don't like the G6 more than my iPhone 7 Plus and I don't like my iPhone 7 Plus more than the G6. I love both equally.

But I digress. I don't want to hijack the thread from gentletouch.

Evilguppy

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
I can relate: I was doing the Android-Blackberry cha cha and getting more and more frustrated until I decided to cast my lot with Apple once and for all.
I used to have iPhone, iPad, MacBook and iPod but now I am most happy with my iPad Pro 9.7 and my iPhone 7 Plus, they're the only devices I use anymore.

There only thing is if I need to travel internationally since I'm an immigrant myself and have no idea what kind of morass I'd be facing trying to return to the us, I keep an old blackberry that I wiped clean and I use with only one bogus email address that's not connected to anything.
So when traveling abroad , I miss Apple, lol.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2