Apple's Express Replacement Service (ERS)

itsnotmeitsyou

Aug 2, 2016
Visit site
Does anyone here have any experience with this service? I had my iPhone 7 Plus diagnosed and they offered to replace it under ERS. After reading all the fine print, I'm a little skeptical. My phone has no physical or liquid damage, so I'm not worried about that. However, they talk about all these different types of fees in their fine print.

For those who have gone through this process, did you end up paying any fees, or was the full charge to your credit card reversed? Is Apple easy to deal with during these things, or do they try to nickel and dime you? They also say that they need to receive the device back within 10 days of them shipping out the replacement, otherwise there is a $310 late fee! I would be sending the phone back the same day I receive the replacement, but I have no control over how long it takes for either phone to ship. Are they actually strict with this policy?

I might just be too paranoid, but I never expected Apple to be this way with exchanges. I thought they were known for their excellent service and was caught off guard by all their hidden fees.

Any input is greatly appreciated!!

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I've had express replacement before. They over nighted me my device and put a hold on my card. They provided the return label and had FedEx ship the device back. Once they got the device back, no fees charged and they reversed the hold on my card.

itsnotmeitsyou

Aug 2, 2016
Visit site
I've had express replacement before. They over nighted me my device and put a hold on my card. They provided the return label and had FedEx ship the device back. Once they got the device back, no fees charged and they reversed the hold on my card.

Thanks, this makes me feel a little better, especially knowing they use overnight shipping. It sounds quick and painless. Do you know if they consider micro scratches physical damage? I may have one or two very, very minor micro scratches on my screen (probably not even the screen, but in the coating). Not that I care either way, but I'm assuming the replacements are refurbished?

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Thanks, this makes me feel a little better, especially knowing they use overnight shipping. It sounds quick and painless. Do you know if they consider micro scratches physical damage? I may have one or two very, very minor micro scratches on my screen (probably not even the screen, but in the coating). Not that I care either way, but I'm assuming the replacements are refurbished?

Micro scratches are not considered damage. Overnight shipping is free with express replacement if you have Apple Care+. The replacement does not come in a retail box. Refurbished? I have no idea. You would never know. It's comes wrapped in the same plastic as a retail phone.

itsnotmeitsyou

Aug 2, 2016
Visit site
Micro scratches are not considered damage. Overnight shipping is free with express replacement if you have Apple Care+. The replacement does not come in a retail box. Refurbished? I have no idea. You would never know. It's comes wrapped in the same plastic as a retail phone.

I don't have AppleCare+, but they never mentioned anything about paying for shipping. He did say that it's covered under warranty and I wouldn't need AppleCare+ to cover it. Does not having AppleCare+ mean that they will charge me for shipping, or will they use a slower shipping method?

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I don't have AppleCare+, but they never mentioned anything about paying for shipping. He did say that it's covered under warranty and I wouldn't need AppleCare+ to cover it. Does not having AppleCare+ mean that they will charge me for shipping, or will they use a slower shipping method?

The difference is over night shipping has typically been free with AC+. So maybe it's a 2-3 day shipping then. Not sure. You would have to ask them. Maybe they do free over night shipping for all now.

DarlaMack

Apple TV Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
I can agree with everything @Garz has mentioned, but I'm curious... do you not live near an Apple store? I personally had to do this once because the closest store to me is 2 hours away and I didn't want to take that drive. They put a temporary hold on my CC for the device and shipped me a return kit with a prepaid label for FedEx. I can assure you having worked for FedEx that once that package is scanned for pick up from your residence, you will not be held liable if its not received later than expected (unless of course you wait too long to have it shipped out).

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I live 80 miles from the Apple Store. Returned a defective charge cable same way. They put a hold on my CC. All went smooth and I got a new cable that's lasted me over a year.

Cladster

Nov 28, 2016
Visit site
I got a 6S replacement as my screen went dead only 7 months old, they sent refurb and I sent mine back then got email saying phone had been damaged and said I would have to pay a out of warranty cost of over $469 here. I rang Apple care and explained it was working perfect no damage and screen went dead and they waived the fee.
Have used it a few times first time that has happened, I do wonder if they do it Randamly though to see if some will pay up.

anon(5630457)

Sep 29, 2015
Visit site
I haven't personally used this service as there's like six Apple stores near me, but I'm glad others were able to help answer your question!

MooMooPrincess

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Only issue is if your cc doesn't have a limit of 1k it will get rejected. They also don't use a debit card to do this (the 12 reps I spoke to confirmed they won't take a debit card because it ends up getting charged the full amount)

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Only issue is if your cc doesn't have a limit of 1k it will get rejected. They also don't use a debit card to do this (the 12 reps I spoke to confirmed they won't take a debit card because it ends up getting charged the full amount)

I didn't have a 1k balance on my debit card, but it worked for me. But it was only a 1m charge cable.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I haven't personally used this service as there's like six Apple stores near me, but I'm glad others were able to help answer your question!

I have 4 apple stores near me. But when your phone no longer will charge your home sick with pneumonia like I had, this works well. Also, I had I have my Apple Watch swapped one time too. And genius bar does not replace watches in store.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
The only additional step I've done is when I drop the package off at FedEx, get a receipt that you dropped it off. That way, for some reason it gets lost, you have proof you dropped off the package.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro