New convert to iphone.

vegas33139

Dec 2, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to planet iPhone.

Nothing more to add really other than - iPhones - they just work!

Oh, I used BB's for years, from the 8900 right through to the Z10. After that, I discovered the iPhone. The rest is history, although I do miss my berry's.

Lyall Demorrow

Sep 20, 2014
Visit site
Well it's always good to try different things every once in a while. I had an iPhone 6 plus and 6s plus, before that I had Samsung Android devices. Android's never did well on battery life and I wanted to give the iPhone a shot. Got bored of it and went back to Samsung. Samsung battery still sucked (s7 edge) so I got a pixel. I love the pixel, it's currently my daily driver. I got a 7 plus to dabble with and I just can't comprise the 1080p ips screen quality. Android devices have such a nicer screen to me that I feel like I'm downgrading to an old phone that's stuck in like 2013. Even my Galaxy S4 screen was nicer.

Not sure if you are into smartwatches but every Android smartwatch is milestones ahead of the design of the Apple watch. You can spot the Apple watch on someone miles away bc it doesn't look like a normal watch. My gear s2 classic people mistake as a real watch. I felt like I had a D*ck Tracy watch on my wrist when I owned the Apple watch. Just my two cents

I have to disagree with you on screen quality and the Android watches being better. IMO and I'm sure many others, the 1080p iPhone screen is just as good if not better than any Androids screen. Unless you are looking at your phone through a magnifying glass, you won't see any pixels. Amoled vs ips is preference and I, prefer ips.

Now to the watches. I've had every Android Wear watch and every Samsung (Tizen) watch. Most of these watches are so thick that they feel like a hamburger on your wrist. To agree with you, the Gear S2 was probably the best Watch if you use a Samsung phone. But I always preferred Nexus phones and the Pixel when it came out, and the Samsung watches just don't work as good as Android Wear watches when used with a non Samsung phone. My main problem with the Samsung watches was no Google Assistant, they only had S Voice. S Voice is way behind Google Assistant. Try setting a reminder on a Samsung watch while using a Pixel, S Voice sucks. Android Wear is a little better but I never could feel the vibration when I received notifications. Like I said, I tried them all and none of them were any good. In a quiet room you can hear the vibration more than you can feel it. My last problem with Samsung and Android Wear is the music controls, I want to be able to raise my wrist and pause the music or raise the volume without having to swipe the screen to return to the music app. People say "it's a Watch first, so you need to see the Watch face first!" And I say, "put the time above the music controls!" But noooo, that's too much to ask. I will say that Android Wear 2.0 fixed this but not Samsung, and Android Wear watches have horrible vibration motors, and the search for a good smart watch continues.

The Apple Watch is an awesome watch and I'm finally happy. I really like the way it looks, and so do a lot of others on the iMore forums. I currently have the Space Black Stainless first gen Watch with the Milanese loop bracelet. The Taptic Engine is awesome, it's silent and I always feel it, so I never miss a notification. The Watch complications are the most useful out of any smart watch available. I tried Android Wear 2.0 but the complications don't compare to the Apple Watch. My favorite complication is the Fantastical calendar, I can always see my next appointment or reminder at a glance. Siri works extremely well on the Apple Watch. I set reminders all the time and one thing I love is...I can say "remind me to give Lucky(my dog) his medicine tomorrow at 1 pm" and because I sometimes make reminders after midnight, Siri will ask me if I really mean tomorrow or later today. It's the things like this that make me love my Apple Watch. Oh yeah, I almost forgot the music controls, they are awesome. Thank you Apple for giving me controls and the time at the same time.

popkurn611

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site
I have to disagree with you on screen quality and the Android watches being better. IMO and I'm sure many others, the 1080p iPhone screen is just as good if not better than any Androids screen. Unless you are looking at your phone through a magnifying glass, you won't see any pixels. Amoled vs ips is preference and I, prefer ips.

Now to the watches. I've had every Android Wear watch and every Samsung (Tizen) watch. Most of these watches are so thick that they feel like a hamburger on your wrist. To agree with you, the Gear S2 was probably the best Watch if you use a Samsung phone. But I always preferred Nexus phones and the Pixel when it came out, and the Samsung watches just don't work as good as Android Wear watches when used with a non Samsung phone. My main problem with the Samsung watches was no Google Assistant, they only had S Voice. S Voice is way behind Google Assistant. Try setting a reminder on a Samsung watch while using a Pixel, S Voice sucks. Android Wear is a little better but I never could feel the vibration when I received notifications. Like I said, I tried them all and none of them were any good. In a quiet room you can hear the vibration more than you can feel it. My last problem with Samsung and Android Wear is the music controls, I want to be able to raise my wrist and pause the music or raise the volume without having to swipe the screen to return to the music app. People say "it's a Watch first, so you need to see the Watch face first!" And I say, "put the time above the music controls!" But noooo, that's too much to ask. I will say that Android Wear 2.0 fixed this but not Samsung, and Android Wear watches have horrible vibration motors, and the search for a good smart watch continues.

The Apple Watch is an awesome watch and I'm finally happy. I really like the way it looks, and so do a lot of others on the iMore forums. I currently have the Space Black Stainless first gen Watch with the Milanese loop bracelet. The Taptic Engine is awesome, it's silent and I always feel it, so I never miss a notification. The Watch complications are the most useful out of any smart watch available. I tried Android Wear 2.0 but the complications don't compare to the Apple Watch. My favorite complication is the Fantastical calendar, I can always see my next appointment or reminder at a glance. Siri works extremely well on the Apple Watch. I set reminders all the time and one thing I love is...I can say "remind me to give Lucky(my dog) his medicine tomorrow at 1 pm" and because I sometimes make reminders after midnight, Siri will ask me if I really mean tomorrow or later today. It's the things like this that make me love my Apple Watch. Oh yeah, I almost forgot the music controls, they are awesome. Thank you Apple for giving me controls and the time at the same time.
I 100% disagree that ips looks just as good as AMOLED. Put an iPhone next to an AMOLED Android display. Android (particularly Samsung) are known to have the BEST displays in the industry. iPhone is not known for their displays, they never were and it's 2017 where we now have OLED displays and 4K HDTV. Yes, iOS is the smoothest software and the battery optimization is better than Android.

I also can't figure out significance of how iOS implements notifications, it's really not useful. Using Android nougat for months on my pixel has delivered the best notification experience. I know once you use a platform for enough time you get used to the change and settle in. I can very easily adjust to iOS right now, but I don't want to.

I have had zero issues with my gear s2 while connected to my pixel. I disagree that Samsung watches only work well with Samsung phones. I have had zero restraints using it with my pixel. I personally don't use music controls via my watch so that isn't an issue for me. I like the fact that I can have numerous different smartwatches that work with my pixel and ALL look different. You can spot an Apple watch from miles away on someone's wrist. It is all so uniform, just like their phones.

popkurn611

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site

I 100% disagree that ips looks just as good as AMOLED. Put an iPhone next to an AMOLED Android display. Android (particularly Samsung) are known to have the BEST displays in the industry. iPhone is not known for their displays, they never were and it's 2017 where we now have OLED displays and 4K HDTV. Yes, iOS is the smoothest software and the battery optimization is better than Android.

I also can't figure out significance of how iOS implements notifications, it's really not useful. Using Android nougat for months on my pixel has delivered the best notification experience. I know once you use a platform for enough time you get used to the change and settle in. I can very easily adjust to iOS right now, but I don't want to.

I have had zero issues with my gear s2 while connected to my pixel. I disagree that Samsung watches only work well with Samsung phones. I have had zero restraints using it with my pixel. I personally don't use music controls via my watch so that isn't an issue for me. I also don't talk to my watch for reminders or anything. I just do it through Google assistant on my phone. I like the fact that I can have numerous different smartwatches that work with my pixel and ALL look different. You can spot an Apple watch from miles away on someone's wrist. It is all so uniform, just like their phones.

Lyall Demorrow

Sep 20, 2014
Visit site

I have had zero issues with my gear s2 while connected to my pixel. I disagree that Samsung watches only work well with Samsung phones. I have had zero restraints using it with my pixel. I personally don't use music controls via my watch so that isn't an issue for me. I also don't talk to my watch for reminders or anything. I just do it through Google assistant on my phone. I like the fact that I can have numerous different smartwatches that work with my pixel and ALL look different. You can spot an Apple watch from miles away on someone's wrist. It is all so uniform, just like their phones.

If you don't use your smart watch for anything but to tell the time, why don't you just buy a regular watch? It would be cheaper, look better and you wouldn't have to charge it everyday.

popkurn611

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site
If you don't use your smart watch for anything but to tell the time, why don't you just buy a regular watch? It would be cheaper, look better and you wouldn't have to charge it everyday.
I never said I only use it to tell time. I use my smartwatch mainly for notifications. If I don't have my phone on me I can see the call or text on my watch. It's very useful, a regular watch can't do that

Delirious D

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site

The iphone screen looks nice, but i'm with you cant beat the Samsung display. IMO. But this would be like the plasma over LED screen, some folk prefer the look of plasma while others think LED has a crisper display. If you ever been tv shopping with a significant other, you'll know what i mean.

I do miss the notification icons on my android, but hated a cluttered notification bar. I kinda like the swipe down notification list on the iphone, i can clear things individually. And remind me of emails/text/IG that i forgot to reply to the day before.

I have had zero issues with my gear s2 while connected to my pixel. I disagree that Samsung watches only work well with Samsung phones. I have had zero restraints using it with my pixel. I personally don't use music controls via my watch so that isn't an issue for me. I like the fact that I can have numerous different smartwatches that work with my pixel and ALL look different. You can spot an Apple watch from miles away on someone's wrist. It is all so uniform, just like their phones.

I had the Gear s2 with my note 5 and for a short time with my note 7, It looked amazing, my only issue is, too heavy (for my wrist at least). The watch would always shift, and the display would end up resting on that wrist bone. ouch.. Thanks to samsung's promotions i used my first note 7 to get a vr and my replacement note 7 to get a gear fit 2. and that has been my go to watch since. never leave home without it, and i forget i even have it on sometimes.

Last edited:

bcw10

Mar 24, 2017
Visit site
Thanks all. Lots of nice comments. Only complaint i have so far is the left-side-hold to get the card-deck of apps to close can be finicky. 'Speciall after a couple glasses of wine...

thanks

Lyall Demorrow

Sep 20, 2014
Visit site
Thanks all. Lots of nice comments. Only complaint i have so far is the left-side-hold to get the card-deck of apps to close can be finicky. 'Speciall after a couple glasses of wine...

thanks

Did you know that you can double press the home button to get the recent apps?

LDYNREDD

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
I had lots of Blackberry's most recent one was the Z30 which was a great phone.

I found that the frustrating part for me was not being able to get the apps I needed for business on the BB so I too make the switch to iPhone and I am thrilled.

I still miss the way the searches worked in emails on BB, I find that there are often emails that don't turn up in searches even though I know they should.

I HATE the way notifications work on iPhone and constantly miss them even though I have them showing up in banners, BB just did that better.

I miss swiping word suggestions up on the BB.

I also miss the gestures instead of the home button and I miss the hub.

Otherwise, I love the iPhone keyboard and find that it is quite accurate.

I adore the screen brightness and clarity.

The camera is light years ahead of BB.

I was worried about storage so I got the 256GB in Jet Black which is plenty of storage and simply GORGEOUS!

I am thrilled that I can have any app I need. I especially use the QuickBooks app for business and love having that.

Enjoy your iPhone, although I'm sure you will😉

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Just in case you "iphone newbies" weren't aware, there are free one-hour long workshops at the Apple Store. You have to make reservations, but they have several that would help new people figure things out. To find out more about them, click: [URL="https://forums.imore.com/e?link=https%3A%2F%2Fapple.sjv.io%2Fc%2F221109%2F473657%2F7613%3FsubId1%3DUUimUvbUpU2921167%26subId2%3Dvbim%26u%3Dhttps%253A%252F%252Fwww.apple.com%252Ftoday%252F%26ourl%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.apple.com%252Fretail%252Flearn%252F%253Fafid%253Dp239%25257C159229%2526cid%253Daos-us-aff-ir%2526subId1%253DUUimUvbUpU2921167%2526subId2%253Dvbim%2522&token=i-4mGZWy]here[/URL]

stang6790

Feb 11, 2017
Visit site
I'm new to iPhone also and I just learned the other day that you can double tap (not press) the home key and it will bring the top half of the screen down so you can reach it. Pretty cool feature.

Delirious D

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Few days ago i discovered imessages games. i sent to my friends that have had iphones for years and none of them knew about the games. here i thought I WAS the noob with iphone lol

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
Get the drippler app. They offer free apps all the time. It is a great app for knowledge and info as well.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox