I've had this issue on my last three iPhones. (6, 6s Plus and now my 7 Plus).

I'll load up an album or a playlist to play through Bluetooth in my car or via my AirPods.

When I finish driving or listening, the Music app remains open in the background.

When I go to use it again, sometimes the current song will be paused and I can resume playback, but more often than not, the playlist is gone and it's now ready to play a completely random song that isn't in the playlist.

Checking task manager, Music app is still open, so I'm not sure what triggers this to happen.

It never happened with the old iPod app.

I do have an Apple Music account active. Could it be related to this?

Quite annoying and no matter of searching the net gives me a clue to fix it.

Thanks
    03-24-2017 03:30 PM
    This seems like a frequent complaint of the new Music app in iOS 10. It has happened to me on occasion, and usually when it does happen, there is a long period of time that has passed since I used it last, for example an entire workday.

I think what is happening is that as you open more apps after pausing your music, iOS will remove the Music app from memory to free up space. When this happens, the Music app for some reason or another doesn't "remember" what's playing, most likely due to a bug or oversight.
    03-25-2017 11:40 AM
    I was able to double-tap the home button and see the music app in previous apps, still showing the playlist and current song. Then I pressed the play button on my EarPods and Music reverted to random shuffle.

In other words, Apple manages to save a 1 MB screen shot of the App's last activity, but they can't spare ~32 bits to remember the position in a playlist. Style over substance, Apple.
    06-09-2017 09:04 PM