Do I Have to Transfer All Pics/Videos to New iPhone?

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm about to grab a 7 Plus from Target. They have a great deal right now where you get a $25 gift card for reserving the phone and a $200 gift card when picking it up. Unfortunately, I can only get a 128gb. I currently have over 33gb of pics/videos on my 6s Plus. I have 200gb of storage in iCloud so I'm safe there. What would be the process to leave all those pics/videos in the cloud and not transfer them over to my new iPhone to conserve space?

Thanks!

edswife1970

Oct 23, 2015
Visit site
I always use iCloud to set up a new phone, so I wasn't sure if I could avoid transferring EVERYTHING over.

Can't you choose not to back up photos when you do an iCloud back up? If so, do that and then back up your phone and use that back up to restore from backup on new phone. I'm no expert so I could be wrong

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Can't you choose not to back up photos when you do an iCloud back up? If so, do that and then back up your phone and use that back up to restore from backup on new phone. I'm no expert so I could be wrong

That could work. I want to have them stored in iCloud, but not on my phone. They take up too much space and I have unlimited data now, so I'm not as worried about it.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
That could work. I want to have them stored in iCloud, but not on my phone. They take up too much space and I have unlimited data now, so I'm not as worried about it.

You can't store photos in iCloud and not your phone. iCloud is a back up option. It backs up what is currently on your device. You could upload photos to apps like Box and Dropbox, then delete from the phone.

popkurn611

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site
I'm about to grab a 7 Plus from Target. They have a great deal right now where you get a $25 gift card for reserving the phone and a $200 gift card when picking it up. Unfortunately, I can only get a 128gb. I currently have over 33gb of pics/videos on my 6s Plus. I have 200gb of storage in iCloud so I'm safe there. What would be the process to leave all those pics/videos in the cloud and not transfer them over to my new iPhone to conserve space?

Thanks!
Ah so no pixel huh? Lol

steveh552

Trusted Member
Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
I use Google Photos. I back all my photos up and only keep the ones on my phone I want, the rest are in the cloud. Actually using over the iPhone Photos app.

Mar 8, 2017
Visit site
Correct me if i am wrong, i think one should put in on cloud storage so he can access it via an account. Like i dont transfer my phone numbers and other things and just move it from google.
sorry i am not that technical and new to iphone!;)

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Correct me if i am wrong, i think one should put in on cloud storage so he can access it via an account. Like i dont transfer my phone numbers and other things and just move it from google.
sorry i am not that technical and new to iphone!;)

If you refer to iCloud storage, you can't upload photos to that, then not have them on the phone. iCloud is not like Dropbox. iCloud is a back up option. It backs up what is currently on your device. If you delete photos off the device, they also delete in iCloud on the next back up. You can't view photos in iCloud on your phone. You would view them on the camera roll.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73