Culture shock/First iPhone ever!

courtjames

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Whats up everyone! I'm a longtime android user (T-Mobile G1 was my first smartphone), and I just got my first iPhone today. I'm excited and scared at the same time. So I dabbled in WindowsPhone a while back and I was always impressed by how smooth it was and deep down, I've always wished android was smoother. So I have a few questions for everyone here: 1. Are there any good alternative twitter clients out there? 2.What's the best podcast app? 3. Is there anyway that I can add a number row to the keyboard? Thats really it so far. I havent done much with it yet and I still have my sim in my Galaxy S7. Thanks for the help in advance!

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
Welcome.

Twitter: There are lots and lots of Twitter clients in the App Store. My current favorite is Twitterific.
Podcasts: The one included by Apple suits my needs, I've never tried any of the others.
There are 3rd party keyboards, some may have a number row.

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
Welcome to iMore and congrats on your new phone.

1.) Best Twitter apps for iPhone by iMore.
2.) The Podcast app that comes with the iPhone works well. It is what I use.
3.) You will need a third party app such as [URL="https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/123qwerty-customize-alphanumeric-keyboard-keys/id968249077?mt=8&at=10l3Vy]123QWERTY[/URL] which allows customization. A search of the iTunes Store will give you many choices.

AugustVance

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I would have to vote

1. Tweetbot 4. Use it hourly, love it.
2. Best podcast app hands down is Overcast. Best best best.
3. I don't use 3rd party keyboards, however when I tested them out Gboard is a fan favorite.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I use both Tweetbot 4 and the Twitter app. The Twitter app is better now with the Dark theme. But I hate all the "promoted" ads. Tweetbot 4 is cool in landscape.
I listen to podcasts and talk radio on TuneIn Radio Pro. I'm not much of a podcast person.
I use SwiftKey as my default keyboard. But there's no number line without tapping the number key.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I use both Tweetbot 4 and the Twitter app.
I listen to podcasts and talk radio on TuneIn Radio Pro. I'm not much of a podcast person.
I use SwiftKey as my default keyboard. But there's no number line without tapping the number key.

TwitchyPuppy

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
1. I'd say Tweetbot or Twitterific (I still prefer the default one, though).
2. 's Podcast app does a very good job although I'm sure there are pretty good third party apps in the App Store).
3. Swift Key and GBoard (probably others that I'm unaware of).

I'm pretty sure you'll like your iPhone!

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Howdy courtjames! Welcome to iMore!

1. I use the official twitter app but have had bouts of Tweetbot. It's a very good app.

2. For podcasts I use PocketCasts because it allows web browser access which is where I do most of my podcast listening.

3. A third party keyboard might bring you a number row but I don't use 3rd party keyboards

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
1. I just use the official Twitter app.
2. I use Apple's podcast app but I have used Overcast in the past and it is very good and offers more options.
3. I don't use them but I've tried Swiftkey and GBoard. Both are good and I should probably give swiftkey another try. It's my go to keyboard on android. It just wasn't as good on iOS last time I used it.

DarlaMack

Apple TV Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
1. I'd definitely go with Twitterific 5 since it allows you to edit a tweet after its posted. I also use Tweetbot 4 because you can never have too many Twitter clients lol.
2. Apple's Podcast app is all that I need.
3. I really don't have the need for a 3rd party, but I have tried Swiftkey (not really a fan).

steveh552

Trusted Member
Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
I use tweetbot 4 as the others have suggested.
I hear the new Iheart radio app includes podcast capability but I just use the one that apple installed for me
I tried other keyboards but just stick with the apple one.

courtjames

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Man, thanks everyone. Didn't think the replies would come so fast. Not missing the number row so far. It's an adjustment for me because I'm used to the Android way of doing things. I'll accept any mk ore tips that anyone wants to shoot at me. Thanks again everyone!

itsnotmeitsyou

Aug 2, 2016
Visit site
Man, thanks everyone. Didn't think the replies would come so fast. Not missing the number row so far. It's an adjustment for me because I'm used to the Android way of doing things. I'll accept any mk ore tips that anyone wants to shoot at me. Thanks again everyone!

As a fellow Android convert, I can tell you that you will adapt. It's not that the iPhone is "missing" anything, it's just that it does things differently. I was the same way at first, I wanted everything the same as what I was used to. Now I am accustomed to the way the iPhone works and any time I pick up a family member's Android phone, I find myself trying to do things the way I do on my iPhone and it just isn't there.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

On behalf of those who responded, you're very welcome.

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site
Whats up everyone! I'm a longtime android user (T-Mobile G1 was my first smartphone), and I just got my first iPhone today.

Congratulations on your new iPhone 7 Plus purchase and Welcome to iMore :D

Is there anyway that I can add a number row to the keyboard?

The only 2 i know of is Gboard and Swift Key. Hopefully they have all you require.

See you around the forums!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro