iPhone upgrade program - unlocked

Gary86

Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
Hey everyone. I thought when you got an unlocked phone it was capable of working on any network? Is this not the case? I'm on ATT but looking to jump ship to Verizon.

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Hey everyone. I thought when you got an unlocked phone it was capable of working on any network? Is this not the case? I'm on ATT but looking to jump ship to Verizon.

The upgrade program isn't this year. If you're on AT&T, then you have a GSM unlocked phone and it won't work on Verizon. If you have the Verizon version, then It would be universally unlocked.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
The upgrade program isn't this year. If you're on AT&T, then you have a GSM unlocked phone and it won't work on Verizon. If you have the Verizon version, then It would be universally unlocked.

I believe the 6s and 6s Plus will work universally. The GSM iPhone 7, however, is not cross compatible with CDMA networks.

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I believe the 6s and 6s Plus will work universally. The GSM iPhone 7, however, is not cross compatible with CDMA networks.

Yeah. That's right. The 7/7 Plus are not universal. I sucked it up and paid full price for the unlocked one so I could be fully unlocked. Wish I didn't have to do that this year.

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Yeah. That's right. The 7/7 Plus are not universal. I sucked it up and paid full price for the unlocked one so I could be fully unlocked. Wish I didn't have to do that this year.

Just realized this is in the 7 Plus subforum. Well, additional information is never a bad thing! #modfail

nnahorski

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site

One thing I'm thankful for on #TeamBigRed is factory unlocked iPhones (and all 4G LTE phones, for that matter) due to the FCC requirements when they purchased spectrum a few years back.

Gary86

Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
Hmm. So Here's my deal:

I have an ATT iPhone via upgrade program. Verizon said if I trade my 7+ in they will give me a 7+ on Verizon. I'd rather be apart of the apple iPhone program vice being attached to a carrier. Any suggestions?

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Hmm. So Here's my deal:

I have an ATT iPhone via upgrade program. Verizon said if I trade my 7+ in they will give me a 7+ on Verizon. I'd rather be apart of the apple iPhone program vice being attached to a carrier. Any suggestions?

You really have three options.

1) Stay with AT&T;

2) Sell your phone and pay off the remaining balance and get a Verizon phone through the upgrade program;

3) Do the deal with Verizon and swap your phone to them.

Gary86

Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
You really have three options.

1) Stay with AT&T;

2) Sell your phone and pay off the remaining balance and get a Verizon phone through the upgrade program;

3) Do the deal with Verizon and swap your phone to them.

Thanks. #2 seems best. I need to see how much is owed.

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
No problem. You may have to find a replacement phone for a bit because you may have to actually have a Verizon account before you can do the Apple Upgrade program on a Verizon line.

I've purchased through iPhone Upgrade Program a few times. Apple requires that all devices purchased through IUP be activated on a network before they leave the store. So you are correct. It will need to be activated on a new or existing Verizon account.

TwitchyPuppy

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
I've purchased through iPhone Upgrade Program a few times. Apple requires that all devices purchased through IUP be activated on a network before they leave the store. So you are correct. It will need to be activated on a new or existing Verizon account.

I'm glad it's not like that for phones bought outright!

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site

I'm glad it's not like that for phones bought outright!

Not sure if that's a huge issue in reality though. I'm not sure of many people who spend this kind of money on a phone for it to not be used on a network. And if you're purchasing outright, you're not tied to a contract. So you could literally cancel that service once you leave the store.

stang6790

Feb 11, 2017
Visit site
Well I know nothing about the Apple upgrade program but with Verizon you can purchase your phone on the payment plan and once you have paid 50% of the purchase price (which would be one year) you can trade it in on a new phone. If you are not at the 50% yet you can simply pay the remaining amount to get to the 50% and trade it in.

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Not sure if that's a huge issue in reality though. I'm not sure of many people who spend this kind of money on a phone for it to not be used on a network. And if you're purchasing outright, you're not tied to a contract. So you could literally cancel that service once you leave the store.

I don't doubt that but the fact that the device needs to be activated on a network is still worth talking about, especially if it could end up costing unnecessary fees having to connect and then disconnect a device only to move it to a different network.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I don't doubt that but the fact that the device needs to be activated on a network is still worth talking about, especially if it could end up costing unnecessary fees having to connect and then disconnect a device only to move it to a different network.

Yea, everyone's needs vary I guess. I just personally don't know why anyone would purchase a $750+ phone and not activate it on a network. I could see for developers but I believe Apple has a means of purchasing a device for developers that doesn't require network activation.

My other thought is one may be purchasing it as a gift for someone else, but they offer gift cards as a means around that.

From working for a wireless provider I'm used to this requirement. At the time, it was to prevent fraud. All devices purchased outright required a plan associated with them and we couldn't see more than 3 iPhone's at full price.

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Yea, everyone's needs vary I guess. I just personally don't know why anyone would purchase a $750+ phone and not activate it on a network. I could see for developers but I believe Apple has a means of purchasing a device for developers that doesn't require network activation.

I agree that an iPhone not activated on a network is a really expensive paperweight. The concern here is that @Gary86 wants to purchase a Verizon iPhone to activate on AT&T.

Gary86

Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
I agree that an iPhone not activated on a network is a really expensive paperweight. The concern here is that @Gary86 wants to purchase a Verizon iPhone to activate on AT&T.

Nah. We were gonna switch to Verizon. I just need to figure out how much I owe Apple on this att one then try to get a Verizon phone via the  program.

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Nah. We were gonna switch to Verizon. I just need to figure out how much I owe Apple on this att one then try to get a Verizon phone via the  program.

I somehow landed way out in left field on this one. I must be confusing my threads. Either that or it's old age.

Nevermind, @Quis89! LOL

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner