The Jet Black Dilemma

Jtshurtleff

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
Hey guys,

So when the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus first came out, I, like so many others, saw that Jet Black color and immediately thought "that's the one for me" but, also like many others, knew it would be crazy hard to find so I went with the Black option. Well after have a brief affair with Android and the Pixel XL I came back to iOS and luckily the Jet Black iPhone 7 Plus is super easy to find (went with 256gb Jet Black Unlocked) and immediately knew this was the one I should have gotten initially. Sadly, I had to put a case on it because I am crazy about my phones looking new for as long as possible. Every day though I take the phone out and consider going naked for the day, but never do it. Anyone else have the dilemma of wanting to show off the sexiness but cannot because of your obsession to keep it looking pretty? I hate it and love it because it is such a nice phone and, in the right case, can look good while being protected. It is the definition of a 3rd world problem and a dilemma of vanity but maybe something fun to discuss! Have at it!

gee2012

Feb 9, 2017
Visit site
Yes i agree its a luxury problem ha ha, but i also feel that a scratch or a dent on my matte black phone would realy hurt my enjoyment in the phone. I`qm very maticulous with my phones and i can honestly say i never scratched or dented any of them. I use a case too just to make sure it doesn`t get damaged.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I use my iPhones without a case about 90% of the time. I'm sure if I had the Jet Black I wouldn't have a case on it for even more than that. The Jet Black has a great grip and I couldn't care less about little scuffs. I tend to care more that my screen isn't all scratched up or that my phone works.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
The scratches wouldn't bother me nearly as much as the fingerprints and smudges. So I'd probably use a case personally. I originally pre-ordered the Jet Black. But I know myself and I wouldn't have survived with the finger prints and any scratches (no matter how visible) would have drove me crazy. So I went with the Matte black and couldn't be happier. I checked out a Jet Black at the Apple store. It was pretty...and full of prints! Couldn't do it lol.

My matte black is in a case probably 50% of the time.

nnahorski

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
I have a Jet Black as well, and typically had an Apple leather or silicone case on it up until about 2 weeks ago. I had my phone out for a cleaning, and it struck me as to how nice the phone is without a case and how nice the finish feels. I've not used a case except when working out since then, and although I've developed a lot of micro-abrasions, they don't bother me and you can't see them unless you're looking for them.

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
Peel case.
75885411aa5fed39498cadb901215114.jpg

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
If you don't mind the massive amounts of text all over the case, the SwitchEasy iGlass case was made specifically for the jet black iPhones. It has a glass back that sits 1mm above the phone and has a camera cutout gasket to prevent dust from getting between the glass and your phone.

edswife1970

Oct 23, 2015
Visit site
I have the jet black with a case on it. I would never go without a case no matter what color it is! I'd rather be safe than sorry :)
26ccc35b5dbc052e7e7be6c3025fb8a8.jpg

anon(5630457)

Sep 29, 2015
Visit site
I wouldn't use the jet black iPhone 7 Plus without a case. It'd get really banged up and scratched if you dropped it!

I love the look of my blue coral S7 edge so much that I purchased a Speck CandyShell clear case. I get 12 ft drop protection and I get to admire the pretty look of my phone. :)

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site
luckily the Jet Black iPhone 7 Plus is super easy to find (went with 256gb Jet Black Unlocked) and immediately knew this was the one I should have gotten initially. Sadly, I had to put a case on it because I am crazy about my phones looking new for as long as possible. Every day though I take the phone out and consider going naked for the day, but never do it. Anyone else have the dilemma of wanting to show off the sexiness but cannot because of your obsession to keep it looking pretty?

Firstly, Congratulations on your new purchase! the 256GB model is crazy big. Its got the same storage capacity as the new Macbook Pros lol

I would suggest getting a clear case for it then. It might not look as nice but you will still be able to admire the colour of the Jet Black a little. I'm in the same boat as you, i want to be able to use my device naked but i don't want it scratched because then its looks 'old' haha. :D

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
Have the Jet Black 7 Plus. I'm fussy so it has always been in a case. Will admit though that it is a great looking phone. Every time I take it out to switch cases it can be tempting to leave it naked but that passes quickly! LOL!

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
Can't see the pics I know this is about the black but I have the rose gold and it is in a case all the time. I have a variety of cases because I like to switch them out. It will never be without a case and a screen protector too

erasat

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
I'm a cover junkie so I always spent a lot of money getting covers until I finally get the one that I put it on and never look back. I understand your dilemma as I had the same, I always use Clear cases so it can show all the phone's beauty, but there is something with clear covers and Black phones that I don't like, it seems that clear cases looks the best with White, Silver, Gray and Gold, basically with every color but black, I don't like the contrast of colors when pairing them, the next best thing is the "Clear Covers" with the Smoked Black borders or complete.

So I bought a Generic Clear one with Bumpers side, it lasted 2 minutes on, hated it, then I got a CaseLogic one that was used for about a week until I got the 2 Tozo covers (Similar to the Peel case), one Blue (loved it) and one Mocha Black (Didn't look as expected) but these 2 covers doesn't protect other than from scratches, they are basically the thinnest and lightest covers available.

71EKjZrVY5L._SL1500_.jpg

Then I got the Ringke Air Smoke Black, it looks good but like I mentioned above there is something with Clear Cover (even with Smoke Black tint) with Black phones that doesn't look good to me.

71KqCF8Nl4L._SL1500_.jpg

So I got a Ringke Fusion and these 2 Ringke Covers are the ones that I'm currently using and I'll keep using for a while, of the 2, the Fusion is the prettiest as I bought it jet Black just like the phone, and I like that it keeps the same look while it protects very well the phone.

Take a look at it to see if you like the Ringle Fusion jet Black just like I do.

https://www.amazon.com/Ringke-Protection-Absorption-Technology-Protective/dp/B01M7V67F2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1487346264&sr=8-1&keywords=iphone%2B7%2Bplus%2Bringke%2Bjet%2Bblack&th=1

71Z-f97kXYL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:

jlczl

Jan 21, 2004
Visit site
I love beautiful cases that enhance the beauty of my Jet Black 7+ but I also love the look of it naked. My solution is to use it in safe environments naked and wherever it could be damaged if dropped, I case it up. I don't really believe in clear cases because they remind me of my grandmother putting plastic covers on the nice sofas. TACKY.

arc3484

May 25, 2016
Visit site
I just got a matte black plus, I'm stuck and not sure to trade it for a jet black. When I watched the apple keynote in September, I fell in love with the jet black look. How bad are these micro abrasions? Are they like the micro abrasions on the front glass?

DNRuffin

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
You can barely see them. They're only noticeable under direct light. It's similar to the iPhone 3G and 3GS, only it scratches less than the plastic did.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73