iOS 10.2.1 out today...............Is it safe?

SnapThrow

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
If it was truly bricked, it's not like Apple did't take care of you ... :rolleyes:

OK OK, technically it wasn't bricked... those of us who downloaded the bad update within the first hour or so had to restore within iTunes to get wi-fi and cell radios back. My point is that it is ALWAYS a good idea to wait even just a little bit when a new iOS updates lands, I usually monitor twitter for a bit before I hit the software update button

xanadome

May 6, 2013
Visit site
LOL I wish that were true but I've been bit twice over the years with an iOS update that had a bug -- 8.4.1 was the last, so being "released" is not necessarily a sign that an update is safe

I seem to remember:

iOS and its updates have been pretty rock solid and stable, UNTIL ..... 8.
Then, something must have happened over there and it's been a constant (too frequent with very short interval) patching, updating and bug fixed. It was not like this before, and I do not like it.
We all know Jonny Ives stuck his nose into software manipulation particularly after the sacking of Scott Forstall, staring with tinkering with mainly the aesthetics (fonts etc) and God knows what thereafter.
I have no idea of Apple's inner-working of course, but things do not deem to be as smooth as they used to be (or as I remembered).
Even accepting relatively frequent hardware updates and feature additions lately.
And too much tinkering with Emoji, for God's sake....

trparky

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site
something must have happened over there and it's been a constant (too frequent with very short interval) patching, updating and bug fixed. It was not like this before, and I do not like it.
It's not just Apple that's guilty of this, Microsoft and Google are guilty of the same thing. Hell, I'd go so far as to say that the whole software industry is guilty of this.

To explain what is going on here we have to look at how software is developed today. In most development houses (including Apple) there are two methods or models to software development; Waterfall and Agile.

According to Wikipedia... The Waterfall Model is described as...
The waterfall model is a sequential (non-iterative) design process, used in software development processes, in which progress is seen as flowing steadily downwards (like a waterfall) through the phases of conception, initiation, analysis, design, construction, testing, production/implementation and maintenance. Despite the development of new software development process models, the waterfall method is still the dominant process model with over a third of software developers still using it.

And then you have Agile...
Agile software development describes a set of principles for software development under which requirements and solutions evolve through the collaborative effort of self-organizing cross-functional teams. It advocates adaptive planning, evolutionary development, early delivery, and continuous improvement, and it encourages rapid and flexible response to change. These principles support the definition and continuing evolution of many software development methods.

A lot of companies including Google, Microsoft, and Apple have moved to the Agile Model when it comes to software development. In some ways Agile is better than the Waterfall model because development of software is sped up and new features come to the user faster than in the more traditional Waterfall model but on the down side more bugs can crop up.

xanadome

May 6, 2013
Visit site
To me. many of iOS updates are of patches and bug fixes nature. They are the ones causing so frequent an update. When, say v.1, is out, v1.1 comes out very soon to patch bugs they left out in V.1. In many recent times, beta of following versions is already out just as they released the current version. It's not like developing software but mostly "fixing" it. That's what I am finding out these days with Apple. It was not quite like that before. I can accept developing new feature or developing new S/W etc, but bug fixes and patching? Bug fixes are important part of the S/W release and things happen, but don't you think it is too frequent these days? It feels like some level of disciplining was either loosened up or lost within the organization and nobody is controlling it, and such practice may have been accepted and becoming a norm. With Steve Jobs, the tight discipline enforcer, gone, some things have gone with him :).

trparky

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site
Bug fixes are important part of the S/W release and things happen, but don't you think it is too frequent these days? It feels like some level of disciplining was either loosened up or lost within the organization
Read my post above, it's not just Apple that's at fault here. The whole software industry has this issue. It's due to the change in how software is developed.

xanadome

May 6, 2013
Visit site
Read my post above, it's not just Apple that's at fault here. The whole software industry has this issue. It's due to the change in how software is developed.

I am not talking about the software development. I am talking about fixes and patches and such, and its frequencies, which I think obviously changed in recent couple of years. You can quote Wikipedia etc for software development but we are talking about two different things. Android for example is terrible but their updates or bug fixes etc are slow. Apple has to be commended for relatively speedy bug fixes and patches etc, but I am talking about apparent "sloppiness" of the software dep't within Apple. It appears that this is particularly profound in iOS, but not so much on Mac OS. Some might not think so, but I have been feeling that this was what's happening. You are rather talking about new software development or feature addition etc. Apple have been developing thier software for a long time but their practice got a bit sloppier.
Anyway.....

trparky

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site
I am talking about fixes and patches and such, and its frequencies, which I think obviously changed in recent couple of years. ... Apple has to be commended for relatively speedy bug fixes and patches etc, but I am talking about apparent "sloppiness" of the software dep't within Apple.
But this is a symptom of the change that's going on in the software world, namely the change to a new way of developing software. Write the code, push it out, and hope for the best. If bugs crop up, just tell the users that's we'll fix it in a couple of weeks. It's the "new" way of doing things!

xanadome

May 6, 2013
Visit site
And too many and too frequent public bata lately, and still patches for same bug etc. We are not guinea pigs :)
But I repeat that I do commend Apple for fixing things quickly when they are pointed out, unlike other platforms. The end...

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
My iPad and iPhone has been fine but my watch turned itself off randomly this afternoon a few hours after I upgraded to the latest watchOS.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro