What are the pros & cons of upgrading from a 6S (64 GB) to a higher storage 7 Plus?

CherryLane

Sep 14, 2015
Visit site
Hi

I slowly running out of memory 😭. I don't want to get rid of my photos off. My daughter loves looking at them and sometimes I go back too. I want to upgrade but not sure if it is worth going a 7 plus or not. Please help with pros and cons 👍😉

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
6s Plus 64 gb to 7 plus bigger gb

I have an iPhone 7 plus 128 Jet Black with the Apple leather OEM case and I love the device.

The device is large and will take some getting use to, especially if your using it with one had. I am a big guy and have paws for hands, so it's not an issue.

The larger screen is great for viewing photos, documents and emails and the additional digital zoom function in the camera is also a plus.

Now the choice comes whether you get the 128 or 256 gig version, they also have a 32 gig version but you already said your running short on memory so I would look at the 128 or 256 model.

As far as a case goes, I have always used the Apple OEM leather case, but there are plenty of case options out there that you can choose from. Good luck.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
What are the pros & cons of upgrading from a 6S (64 GB) to a higher storage 7 Plus?

Pros:
The iPhone 7 Plus is the same size as your iPhone 6S Plus.

You're already familiar with iOS

If you go with a 128 GB model, you'll have double the storage space than what you currently have.

Cons:
Whatever you dislike about your current iPhone will probably be the same with the new one.

As for cases, I don't use them so I really can't provide any advice about which to get. Sorry.

geoffjam78

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Re: What are the pros & cons of upgrading from a 6S (64 GB) to a higher storage 7 Plus?

Biggest pro is the camera. If you like pics and taking pics, the camera will blow you away. The display is higher PPI so it will look amazing and sharp.

I switched from the SE to 128gb 7 plus and love it. Love the size because I can see everything better...more screen so things aren't crammed.

Also better battery life than the 6s and haptic home button is a really nice touch.

geoffjam78

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Re: What are the pros & cons of upgrading from a 6S (64 GB) to a higher storage 7 Plus?

As for cases, it will be to your liking.

Otterbox is nice but makes it even bigger. Lifeproof Fre (which is what I have), is good for my needs. The Unicorn Beetle case by Supcase is nice and not very bulky. As the above mentioned the leather apple case is super nice!

bales_83

Jan 13, 2017
Visit site

I'll play devils advocate and say it probably isn't worth it if your only concern is storage. Why not just move half of them to your pc and free up some space?

Ecm

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
Re: 6s Plus 64 gb to 7 plus bigger gb

Also please advise good iPhone 7 plus cases for Rose Gold. Thanks������

The OEM Apple cases are good, but I (personally) have found them somewhat slippery, as well as a little expensive.

I love the Ringke series of cases. Excellent fit, wide variety, very good pricing. Ringke.com

The Fusion are a favorite of ours. My wife has the version with a silght rose tint on her rose gold iPhone 7:

20170122_160303963_iOS.jpg

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site

If picture storage is the only reason you are upgrading then I would suggest uploading photos to Google Photos or Dropbox or OneDrive or whatever cloud storage you prefer. Then you can delete them from your phone, but can view them on the phone whenever you want through the cloud storage app. I prefer Google Photos myself but I also use OneDrive.

steveh552

Trusted Member
Nov 23, 2012
Visit site

^^^^^^

That was what I was going to say. I always back up my photos to google photos just in case

xanadome

May 6, 2013
Visit site

^^^^^^

That was what I was going to say. I always back up my photos to google photos just in case

Must agree.
For things like photos, definitely use one of the popular cloud storages. For general photo uploading, I would recommend Dropbox, simply because it is probably easier to setup for OP (and it can set up to automatically upload photos moment you press shutter button. With cloud storage, there is no need to increase/upgrade hardware storage capacity (i.e., memory capacity). Most popular cloud storage is free, unless you have humongous qty of photos.

xanadome

May 6, 2013
Visit site

I do 7500

Hahaha, you are nuts :)
But many people store so many photos in their phone.

I have no idea how much storage space 7500 photos (I assume that's what you meant) are taking, but it depends on resolution and perhaps format etc.

Off the top of my head, I seem to think 7500 photos should not take more than 15Gb, a very ballpark figure. Experts should be able to tell you more scientific idea.

But if you also store many music and other stuff, 64Gb storage may begin to make you feel the phone might be slowed. Again, cloud storage would be a sensible solution for now. Speed of accessing the cloud storage is almost same as opening the photo app, depending on the Internet speed. However, if you access photos constantly with no WiFi available, it might cost you data packet.

CherryLane

Sep 14, 2015
Visit site

My daughter is 2 and looks through them. A lot of the photos are of my kids ofcourse. No I can store any music on the phone ATM cause of it. I don't have a proper working laptop ATM so that's also an issue so was thinking this is a quick fix to my problem.

CherryLane

Sep 14, 2015
Visit site

Ps I know I am nuts but I do look at them a lot and if I was delete them
As I have recipes and stuff on there too.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site

But if you also store many music and other stuff, 64Gb storage may begin to make you feel the phone might be slowed.

The amount of free storage does not account for speed of the device.

A device with 1% storage free is as fast as a device with 100% storage free. Accessing huge amounts of photos, however, might take a while, but the overall speed while using all other apps will be the same.

xanadome

May 6, 2013
Visit site

The amount of free storage does not account for speed of the device.

A device with 1% storage free is as fast as a device with 100% storage free. Accessing huge amounts of photos, however, might take a while, but the overall speed while using all other apps will be the same.

It depends. I was talking about storage space being almost fully filled up. Then, there are many factors come in that will slow process, cpu or app access etc. Also, apps particularly begin to lose cache space etc etc. Any number of factors to slow the phone down gradually. The situation is mostly profound on Android phone (I do not have it but based on whining of my friends), but not much on iPhone (I never experienced it). In any case, it is better to avoid storage approaching being full. If not, and if there is enough free space, even after the cycles of adding of deleting files frequently, iPhone should "generally" feel OK. YMMV

xanadome

May 6, 2013
Visit site

Ps I know I am nuts but I do look at them a lot and if I was delete them

No, you are not (nuts :). I am sure you know it was just a lighthearted teasing. I know many people who store tens of thousand of photos and it still keep accumulating :).

But coming back to your original question, I thought it was mainly tied to the storage capacity. But you also take many photos, particularly kid's, then the quality of camera and display might be important to you. For that, 7 Plus might be a huge improvement but it also depends on your preference of size, how you carry (women are fortunate :) etc. I personally cannot even imagine carrying a plus size phone under any circumstances. If the display and storage capacity is important, I would consider one of the iPad lines (like iPad Mini). Beyond that, it's up tp personal preference.

xanadome

May 6, 2013
Visit site

Also, apps particularly begin to lose cache space etc etc.

Oops, I do not want to be pounced on this :).
Cache situation is a different matter and I do not know exactly how iOS manage memories, whether it also needs free space in storage capacity etc.
But I cannot imagine how the access speed would not change when the storage is approaching full with only 1% remaining. Some friends with iPhone are also reporting some level of slowing down as the storage approaching full.
I will check the mechanism of why/how this is happening.

Tpence2177

Trusted Member
Nov 2, 2011
Visit site

Right now I'm using a 16 gig 6 plus until I can get a good deal on a larger storage phone. Way I get by is paying for the iCloud storage which is super cheap $1 a month for 50 gigs. Then I check the setting where it uploads pictures to the cloud and photo stream where they are still easily viewed just not on my device.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro