Google Pixel XL after the iPhone 7 plus

knoxDavid

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
I have heard good things about the Pixel. At least you can get updates to its OS unlike most Android phones. I would say give it a try.

o4liberty

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
I tried the pixel the other day and it's as smooth as IOS is. If all Android devices get this way Apple will definitely have some competition moving forward. It's the best Android device I ever used makes you think twice about IOS.

bcandiolo

Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
How can we even compare Pixel Android phone with any iPhone?

Ugly design on the hardware but also for the Android OS, many appreciate what they call its purity, and to me that's also ugly.
I used many Android phones much better and with great hardware design and features like the Samsung Galaxy S series, even Lenovo provides much better notifications, but a Pixel? A Pixel phone should cost half it's price and if you're all amazed cause Google is updating it, well Apple's been doing it since day one.

Again, nobody should compare a beautiful iPhone with any 'Google made' piece of hardware

Chemy JMHT

VR ******
Sep 9, 2016
Visit site
I think if you got used to use iPhone maybe at the beginning will be hard to get used to the Pixel, I recommend you (as always do) to try it first, maybe it's just what you ar looking for, but maybe it isn't.

In other way, almost every Android device is the same, if you want a device for your needs the Google Pixel looks overpriced, you ca even try some of those Chinese brands for around 100$, while having the productivity package you need and not the cost you will be able to use for sure your iPhone for your personal use and as back up smartphone and the other just to work.

bcandiolo

Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
I think if you got used to use iPhone maybe at the beginning will be hard to get used to the Pixel

I still own a Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge, the screen is gorgeous, the curved glass on the edges makes it unique, the camera is amazing 16 mega pixels, and the design is quite premium and advanced compared with an iPhone 6.
But, to make it thinner its battery performance is poor, and because it is a Samsung, you won't get the obvious basic upgrades that any user should receive for many years.
After all software updates are meant to correct mistakes or protect the user from potential unsafe situations.

Samsung is far much better and advanced than Google Pixel, but… no frequent SO updates, right?

Both Google and Samsung should be shameful not to provide updates ASAP.

One big purchase decision for the Pixel is… you'll receive updates for 2 years?

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
What the Pixel lacks when compared to iPhone 7 Plus: OIS, water resistance; an original look; more storage options; huge, pointless bezels; stereo speakers; it's slower in benchmarks (those don't really matter, I know); wide color gamut; 3D touch; hapic feedback; etc. etc. etc.

What the Pixel lacks when compared to all other flagship Android phones: all of the above plus expandable storage and removable battery (the LG G5/V20 are the only flagship Android phones with removable batteries).

For some reason, the Pixels are priced higher.

Can we be honest about this, at least for a minute and take off the iGoggles? As to the above "lacks":

OIS -- While the Pixel does not have hardware OIS, it has a software OIS that is as fast, and by some reviews, works better than a hardware OIS. This is much closer that what you are trying to claim.

Water Resistance -- Yes, but let's not pretend that Apple has never bothered with Water Resistance prior to the iPhone 7. Further, those who have tested it claim that the Pixel is actually as water resistant, and possibly more water resistant, as the iPhone. And the Pixel does it while keeping the headphone jack.

Original Look: Seriously? I thought the half glass back was rather original looking for a flagship, even if it wasn't a look that excited me. But, by contrast, "original look" has been a huge slam against the iPhone 7 -- repeating the same design for the third year in a row.

Storage Options: Yes, the iPhone has a 256GB option and most will say it was a mistake for Google not to also offer a phone in that size. At the same time, it is worth noting that the Pixel can use external storage (USB OTG); an advantage it has over the iPhone.

Huge Pointless Bezels: Are you kidding me? The Pixel XL is smaller than the iPhone 7 Plus (in terms of bezels, the Pixel is a bit thicker but that doesn't matter for your point). Yes, many have criticized Google for the bezel size but you can't claim the iPhone has any type of advantage in this area.

Stereo Speakers: Yes, it does lack these; this is disappointing considering the speakers on the Nexus 6P -- the previous Google flagship (that was cheaper).

Slower in benchmarks: You undermine your own point here. I'll merely add that the Pixel was built with the fastest and newest Qualcomm processor.

Wide Color Gamut, 3D touch: True, but the screen also has advantages over the iPhone, being OLED and a higher resolution display. Talking display, as a whole, many would give the Pixel the edge but both have great displays.

Haptic Feedback: This would be false, the Pixel does have and use haptic feedback, just that it is not implemented in the same ways. Which you prefer will largely depend on personal tastes.

Of course, then there are the things the iPhone "lacks" that the Pixel has: Fast charging using an industry standard (USB3); Higher resolution OLED display, as mentioned above; a headphone jack; fingerprint gestures; and unlimited, free photo and video storage in the cloud. There is also Google Assistant; which is clearly much better at this point than Siri.

As for price, I don't know where you live that the Pixel is more expensive -- in the US the iPhone and Pixel are the same price ($649 32GB, $749 128GB) and the Pixel XL and the iPhone 7 Plus are the same prices ($769 32GB, $869 128GB). Most would claim that both are overpriced; though those prices are roughly in line with the price most flagship phones cost at introduction.

In the end, these two phones are really very close -- just that each has its own set of advantages. Which is "better" is largely a matter of individual choice, which has the features (and OS features) that the user prefers.

Chemy JMHT

VR ******
Sep 9, 2016
Visit site
Can we be honest about this, at least for a minute and take off the iGoggles? As to the above "lacks":

OIS -- While the Pixel does not have hardware OIS, it has a software OIS that is as fast, and by some reviews, works better than a hardware OIS. This is much closer that what you are trying to claim.

Water Resistance -- Yes, but let's not pretend that Apple has never bothered with Water Resistance prior to the iPhone 7. Further, those who have tested it claim that the Pixel is actually as water resistant, and possibly more water resistant, as the iPhone. And the Pixel does it while keeping the headphone jack.

Original Look: Seriously? I thought the half glass back was rather original looking for a flagship, even if it wasn't a look that excited me. But, by contrast, "original look" has been a huge slam against the iPhone 7 -- repeating the same design for the third year in a row.

Storage Options: Yes, the iPhone has a 256GB option and most will say it was a mistake for Google not to also offer a phone in that size. At the same time, it is worth noting that the Pixel can use external storage (USB OTG); an advantage it has over the iPhone.

Huge Pointless Bezels: Are you kidding me? The Pixel XL is smaller than the iPhone 7 Plus (in terms of bezels, the Pixel is a bit thicker but that doesn't matter for your point). Yes, many have criticized Google for the bezel size but you can't claim the iPhone has any type of advantage in this area.

Stereo Speakers: Yes, it does lack these; this is disappointing considering the speakers on the Nexus 6P -- the previous Google flagship (that was cheaper).

Slower in benchmarks: You undermine your own point here. I'll merely add that the Pixel was built with the fastest and newest Qualcomm processor.

Wide Color Gamut, 3D touch: True, but the screen also has advantages over the iPhone, being OLED and a higher resolution display. Talking display, as a whole, many would give the Pixel the edge but both have great displays.

Haptic Feedback: This would be false, the Pixel does have and use haptic feedback, just that it is not implemented in the same ways. Which you prefer will largely depend on personal tastes.

Of course, then there are the things the iPhone "lacks" that the Pixel has: Fast charging using an industry standard (USB3); Higher resolution OLED display, as mentioned above; a headphone jack; fingerprint gestures; and unlimited, free photo and video storage in the cloud. There is also Google Assistant; which is clearly much better at this point than Siri.

As for price, I don't know where you live that the Pixel is more expensive -- in the US the iPhone and Pixel are the same price ($649 32GB, $749 128GB) and the Pixel XL and the iPhone 7 Plus are the same prices ($769 32GB, $869 128GB). Most would claim that both are overpriced; though those prices are roughly in line with the price most flagship phones cost at introduction.

In the end, these two phones are really very close -- just that each has its own set of advantages. Which is "better" is largely a matter of individual choice, which has the features (and OS features) that the user prefers.

You really did a review + comparison among the phones, pretty nice mate!

anon(5630457)

Sep 29, 2015
Visit site

Whatever helps you sleep at night.

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
Whatever helps you sleep at night.

I would suggest that perhaps you are projecting here. I'm not claiming the Pixel is a perfect phone, or even better than the iPhone. I didn't want a Pixel and didn't buy one, I did buy an iPhone 7 Plus. I just think, if people want to bash a phone, get the facts right.

anon(5630457)

Sep 29, 2015
Visit site
I would suggest that perhaps you are projecting here. I'm not claiming the Pixel is a perfect phone, or even better than the iPhone. I didn't want a Pixel and didn't buy one, I did buy an iPhone 7 Plus. I just think, if people want to bash a phone, get the facts right.

You provided no facts, just opinion. I provided facts.

Lyall Demorrow

Sep 20, 2014
Visit site
For me, it comes down to apps. I had the Pixel XL and almost every other Android phone out. Android is fun to tinker with, root, flash roms and customize. But once I'm done getting the rom I like all set up and everything customized the way I want it, I'm right back to only using apps, like my banking apps, podcasting and browsing the internet. I also use Microsoft OneDrive and Google photos for backing up my pictures. All of the apps that I use are way better on iOS. My banking app is 20-25 seconds faster to launch on iOS than it is on android. I like podcasts better on iOS. Microsoft OneDrive is horrendous on android and great on iOS. Browsing the internet on iOS is better imo. It just doesn't make sense for me to use android if all the apps that I use are twice as good on iOS.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro