Google Pixel XL after the iPhone 7 plus

ViktorOTitov

Dec 3, 2016
Visit site
Dear Friends!
I am using an iPhone 7 plus for about 3 months. Before this device I had iPhone 6 plus and Blackberry 10 devices.
I am 100% using google services, which are better on Google device - many people say about this fact.
That is why I have decided to buy the Google Pixel XL, which will be more, IMHO, effective device for business for my daily work at home, on the road and in office to be more productive.
For me the main things I need are portability, convenience in typing (I use MS Office a lot, about 10 hours a day), and also autonomy. I need to use productive browser and ms office, adobe acrobat dc. I am also doing a lot of administrative work, that is why I always have hundreds emails every day and I should response on them very quickly. Of course, I use WhatsApp, Viber, Skype, VK, Facebook to make productive discussions with my colleagues. I heard that Pixel is the fastest phone ever. And it has the good file manager and fast charge. Has anybody tries it after or separate to the iPhone?
Many thanks!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
A good deal of the people who have purchased the Google Pixel like it. I haven't seen it nor have I used it. Having said that, you don't need to justify to us why you're opting for the Google Pixel in lieu of the iPhone. Seriously, that's your business and your prerogative, and I hope you enjoy your Google Pixel as much as I enjoy using my iPhone 7 Plus....

jakdillard

Jan 5, 2015
Visit site
Actually the Google services are more refined of the iPhone gmail on android is not as feature rich as it is for iOS for an example.

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
I've tried it and the experience is similar and the cameras are similar as well. I didn't see any difference with the way Google Apps worked with the Pixel and the iPhone except for the widgets. I did notice that there was a camera glare bug and random app crashes on the Pixel. The fast charge is good, but nowhere near the S7 edge or the OnePlus 3. The built-in file manager is pretty basic, but you can always download a third-party app thats works fine and has the features you need, but its probably going to come with ads unless you pay for IAPs. The Pixel was a pretty good phone, but I missed being able to use iMessage and other Apple features.

anon(5630457)

Sep 29, 2015
Visit site
Ok.

I had the Pixel XL and I hated it. It cost too much and it lacks many of the great hardware features that are present on the iPhone 7 Plus/Samsung Galaxy S7 edge. Heck, the OnePlus 3T is a better phone than the Pixel XL and it's 1/2 the price!

But, if the Pixel works better for you, then definitely use it.

returnmyjedi

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site
Actually the Google services are more refined of the iPhone gmail on android is not as feature rich as it is for iOS for an example.

What features does the iOS version have that the Android one doesn't? I have both and can't see many differences (aside from being unable to use Gmail as my default mail client on iOS).

Posted via the iMore App

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
What features does the iOS version have that the Android one doesn't? I have both and can't see many differences (aside from being unable to use Gmail as my default mail client on iOS).

Posted via the iMore App
I can't remember specifics (I don't use many Google services, even on my Android phones), but I remember reading several articles on other sites mentioning new features come to the iOS versions of Google's apps before implementing them on Android.

jdfry15

Trusted Member
Sep 20, 2014
Visit site

Posted via the iMore App

Water resistance, dual speakers, dual camera are a few that come to mind.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I actually think that many of Googles services are just as good, if not better, on iOS. I use them extensively myself and I feel like I get the best of both worlds by using an iPhone. This video might be interesting for you:

https://youtu.be/FoHsabTWVug

bgapfire

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
Ok.

I had the Pixel XL and I hated it. It cost too much and it lacks many of the great hardware features that are present on the iPhone 7 Plus/Samsung Galaxy S7 edge. Heck, the OnePlus 3T is a better phone than the Pixel XL and it's 1/2 the price!

But, if the Pixel works better for you, then definitely use it.

Just out of curiosity, was your iPhone a gift? If not, the Pixel and iPhones cost the same. What does it lack that the iPhone 7 Plus has aside from the dual camera setup?

bgapfire

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
Water resistance, dual speakers, dual camera are a few that come to mind.

I hear ya. Everyone is so big on water resistance now that Android and iOS offer them. I won't say that it isn't a benefit but I've never spilled or splashed water on any device I've owned. For the sake of discussion, the Pixel doesn't have dual speakers. With that said, the iPhone just got them. I like both phones. Despite what some have stated here, Google services flow better on Android devices. It would be nice if the gmail app on the iPhone allowed you to combine inboxes for multiple accounts like Android. That would probably allow me to use the iPhone more.

jdfry15

Trusted Member
Sep 20, 2014
Visit site
I hear ya. Everyone is so big on water resistance now that Android and iOS offer them. I won't say that it isn't a benefit but I've never spilled or splashed water on any device I've owned. For the sake of discussion, the Pixel doesn't have dual speakers. With that said, the iPhone just got them. I like both phones. Despite what some have stated here, Google services flow better on Android devices. It would be nice if the gmail app on the iPhone allowed you to combine inboxes for multiple accounts like Android. That would probably allow me to use the iPhone more.

I've never had water damage either. I had 2 pixel xl's and returned both. Had lens flare that bothered me, but my biggest issue was where the speaker is located. I talk on speaker phone a lot and the way I hold the phone i always covered the speaker with my pinkie. It sounds so stupid but that was really the deal breaker for me.

SprSynJn

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
Stop me if I'm wrong, but the iPhone doesn't have dual speakers, just stereo. Didn't some website confirm this when it was released?

SprSynJn

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
You can't have stereophonic without 2 speakers. You cant achieve multidirectional sound with one speaker which is monophonic.

Apologies. I was mistaken, the iPhone does indeed have two speakers. Just not where they are thought to be. Completely awesome sound this phone makes by the way.

Tpence2177

Trusted Member
Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
The pixel xl is the only other phone I'm interested in other than iPhone right now. I kinda came to iPhones begrudgingly, because literally everyone else in my family uses them, and I already run mac so it just makes sense. I am growing to love and appreciate it now that there are the plus phones. I'm still android at heart and love that android finally has an answer to iPhones but I'll be sticking with iPhones until SMS is replaced with RCS at least.

anon(5630457)

Sep 29, 2015
Visit site
Just out of curiosity, was your iPhone a gift? If not, the Pixel and iPhones cost the same. What does it lack that the iPhone 7 Plus has aside from the dual camera setup?

What the Pixel lacks when compared to iPhone 7 Plus: OIS, water resistance; an original look; more storage options; huge, pointless bezels; stereo speakers; it's slower in benchmarks (those don't really matter, I know); wide color gamut; 3D touch; hapic feedback; etc. etc. etc.

What the Pixel lacks when compared to all other flagship Android phones: all of the above plus expandable storage and removable battery (the LG G5/V20 are the only flagship Android phones with removable batteries).

For some reason, the Pixels are priced higher.

anon(5630457)

Sep 29, 2015
Visit site
I've never had water damage either.

My house has never burned down from a fire but I'm really glad I pay for fire insurance in case, one day, it does burn down. The "well my phone never got damaged from water" argument is not a good argument against water resistance.