I don't know what to say

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
I have been using a Pixel XL for about 2 months now, and I'm probably just going to switch with a silver iPhone 7 Plus 128GB. Sure the Pixel's battery is bigger, it charges 200% faster than the Plus, the camera is better, it has a headphone jack, and it has more features overall. But every I know is still using their old iPhone 6S's, 6's, 5S's, SE, and even the 5 and 5C. That means almost everyone uses iMessage and FaceTime. Not to mention that apps like Snapchat still lag on Android even though the hardware is more than capable of running it smoothly. The UI also just seems basic for Android version of apps as well. I can suck up the fact that the headphone jack is gone. I'll probably just carry my lightning headphones on my person as well as bluetooth headphones.

TLDR: Objectively, the Pixel is a better phone, but app developers and Apple have made the iPhone so mainstream that features such as iMessage, FaceTime, the regard for a simple yet beautiful UI, not to mention apps actually have notification alerts on the app logos themselves. Plus, the hype of having a Pixel just died after two months. Google is a really great company, but I've grown too accustomed to iOS and Apple's integration.

anon(39328)

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
I pretty much understand where you're coming from. I occasionally switch back and forth between iOS and Android. I always end up going back to iOS for the app quality, though I have to say that Android apps are getting much better. I was tempted again with the new Pixels, but I managed to stop myself before ordering one. Actually, I was more tempted by Project Fi. It would be cool if Google one day opens up Fi to include other phones (including iPhone), but I guess that probably will never happen.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I could have told you this without you having to buy an android phone first.

Anyway. I'm glad you had your little getaway to the dark side. Now you'll appreciate iOS even more.

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
I could have told you this without you having to buy an android phone first.

Anyway. I'm glad you had your little getaway to the dark side. Now you'll appreciate iOS even more.

I already had the iPhone 7 Plus as another device on the plan. I used it for a new days, but the Pixel experience was too nice. Then I realized people in my age demographics are about 89% iPhone users and iMessage is too widespread. Google Duo is a nice concept, but Allo is garbage compared to iMessage and FaceTime integration. Not to mention it works wonders with my MacBook air.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I already had the iPhone 7 Plus as another device on the plan. I used it for a new days, but the Pixel experience was too nice. Then I realized people in my age demographics are about 89% iPhone users and iMessage is too widespread. Google Duo is a nice concept, but Allo is garbage compared to iMessage and FaceTime integration. Not to mention it works wonders with my MacBook air.

Welcome back in the light.

RHChan84

Oct 22, 2016
Visit site
I will also disagree with the pixel being a better phone. I see no difference between the Pixel and the 6P. Android OS is just getting worse and worse. I've used Android OS since Android Eclair and they do improve but they take steps backwards. The lastest Android N is horrible with battery life even after factory reset, Bluetooth issues, and app force closing issues. It's not like it's going from Delvik to ART so issues like force closing should of been long fixed by now.

I want a phone that just works. No reboots to get things to work, no messing around with settings for good battery life and battery that last all day.

I get a full day 7am to 10PM with my 7Plus. I get 8-10 hours with my Nexus 6P.

And I don't want to be buying a phone phone yearly. I used a 5C for two years and no issues except my company wanted to upgrade to the 7. My brother and wife uses their phones for 2+ years with no issues.

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
I will also disagree with the pixel being a better phone. I see no difference between the Pixel and the 6P. Android OS is just getting worse and worse. I've used Android OS since Android Eclair and they do improve but they take steps backwards. The lastest Android N is horrible with battery life even after factory reset, Bluetooth issues, and app force closing issues. It's not like it's going from Delvik to ART so issues like force closing should of been long fixed by now.

I want a phone that just works. No reboots to get things to work, no messing around with settings for good battery life and battery that last all day.

I get a full day 7am to 10PM with my 7Plus. I get 8-10 hours with my Nexus 6P.

And I don't want to be buying a phone phone yearly. I used a 5C for two years and no issues except my company wanted to upgrade to the 7. My brother and wife uses their phones for 2+ years with no issues.

I'm looking to see if the battery life will be better for my usage. I honestly don't see that much of a difference between the 1440p and 1080p resolutions since most content it 1080p max nowadays. There are some stuff that's 1440p, but not that much.

RHChan84

Oct 22, 2016
Visit site
I'm looking to see if the battery life will be better for my usage. I honestly don't see that much of a difference between the 1440p and 1080p resolutions since most content it 1080p max nowadays. There are some stuff that's 1440p, but not that much.

You won't see a difference with 1080, 1440, 2.7k or 4k on a phone display. It's nothing more then specs. At 1080 5.5" display, there's more PPI then what your eyes can see from normal viewing.

Looking at two of the same photos, you cannot tell any difference between the two. I looked on my Nexus 6P and 7+ and you cannot tell the difference in displays. Colors were different but that has nothing to do with resolution.

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
You won't see a difference with 1080, 1440, 2.7k or 4k on a phone display. It's nothing more then specs. At 1080 5.5" display, there's more PPI then what your eyes can see from normal viewing.

Looking at two of the same photos, you cannot tell any difference between the two. I looked on my Nexus 6P and 7+ and you cannot tell the difference in displays. Colors were different but that has nothing to do with resolution.

Its got more to do with VR. On my Google Daydream, even the QHD display looks pixelated. However, you do notice a difference between 1080p and 1440p in YouTube.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I have been using a Pixel XL for about 2 months now, and I'm probably just going to switch with a silver iPhone 7 Plus 128GB. Sure the Pixel's battery is bigger, it charges 200% faster than the Plus, the camera is better, it has a headphone jack, and it has more features overall. But every I know is still using their old iPhone 6S's, 6's, 5S's, SE, and even the 5 and 5C. That means almost everyone uses iMessage and FaceTime. Not to mention that apps like Snapchat still lag on Android even though the hardware is more than capable of running it smoothly. The UI also just seems basic for Android version of apps as well. I can suck up the fact that the headphone jack is gone. I'll probably just carry my lightning headphones on my person as well as bluetooth headphones.

TLDR: Objectively, the Pixel is a better phone, but app developers and Apple have made the iPhone so mainstream that features such as iMessage, FaceTime, the regard for a simple yet beautiful UI, not to mention apps actually have notification alerts on the app logos themselves. Plus, the hype of having a Pixel just died after two months. Google is a really great company, but I've grown too accustomed to iOS and Apple's integration.

The thread title states, "I really don't know what to say". Dude, you said a speech full. What the heck!.......Seriously, many of us have gone through something similar over the years, and at some point, we've concluded that the iPhone and iOS is what is best overall for our smartphone needs. Specs attract, but UI and dependability are more important.

Last edited:

Chemy JMHT

VR ******
Sep 9, 2016
Visit site
I think it's more because the iPhone fits you more than the Pixel, it's not that one is better (in general) than the other, the same example I gave, there is not good one in general but one for you, the story would be different if you want to do more VR with the Daydream or maybe if you need/want to customize a little bit more your phone.

Dec 6, 2016
Visit site
I don't know what to say either.
Coming from a Sony Xperia Z3v with Android which was rock solid and stable (the original phone I had was beautiful IPS color, had the USB door fall off and got sent a refurbished one with a purple instead of black color display, and all other refurbished sent to me were the same, VZW dumped Sony and was sending out junk phones for replacements, sad), no crashes ever, to the iP7+ that just seems lacking. Perhaps my background in Linux for so long, I have used BSD on occasion which is the core of iOS (modified BSD) and come to think of it lacking almost the same way as in comparison to Linux. I had an Android powered BB Priv but never got to use it, I am also a fan of QNX that BB's original OS was based upon, nice micro-kernel, the Android version I never got to try but I doubt I missed anything. iOS just seems plain and simple compared to Android.
Don't flame me for my opinions please!
After the warranty is up I will try Jailbreaking and see what that yields, from my research so far it seems JB is what I need to be more pleased with iOS.
As far as photos go, the Sony had a 20.1mp camera, it shot good photos but the iP7+ is way better even with lower mps, the BB was lame 16mp and never got to use it. I am an IPS display fan, if I were on AT$T I would still have a Sony Xperia, but on VZW the iP7+ was the best choice for me at this time.
I am more about multimedia and mirroring content to TV right now, the Sony is far superior than any other phone for that, but alas VZW shunned Sony so I don't see VZW getting any more Sony products.
The IPS display on the Sony is almost spot on 6500 K which makes for great color reproduction, I don't know what the iP7+ is but it doesn't seem as close (6794 K is what I found), the chart does list the iP7+ close to the Sony Z3. Soomal - iPhone 7 Plus Review: Display - Soomal.com in case anyone is interested.
Well, enough for now.

Last edited:

RHChan84

Oct 22, 2016
Visit site
Its got more to do with VR. On my Google Daydream, even the QHD display looks pixelated. However, you do notice a difference between 1080p and 1440p in YouTube.

Ah ok. That makes sense then. In that case, even 1440 is low since the screen is magnified. For VR, you need about 2.7k.

VR is a neat concept but that market is small. I have a VR headset that I paid like $20 for and I'm glad that's all I spent on it. After the "oh wow" factor wore off, I haven't touched it.

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site

I've been a long time Android user that switched to iOS last year with the 6s Plus. I completely understand what you're saying. I'm having a terrible time trying to switch back to Android, and in fact, don't think I can do it anymore. The direction that Apple seems to be in is much more cohesive than that of Android and Google. I still like them, but just want the cohesive stable world of Apple and iOS.

anon(10101748)

Dec 6, 2016
Visit site
For me it was Pixel for a month after iPhone 7 for a month. There were 2 features I decided on with all else equal or not important to me .

Pixel: really liked fingerprint scanner and gestures on back of device.

iPhone 7: iMessage...not seeing the the other person typing back to me almost caused an increase in anxiety meds.

Ultimately went back to iPhone 7. If it was 2016 and this was first iPhone versus first Pixel and ecosystem and never new of iMessage probably would have picked Pixel. I think it be a slightly better device. Who knows. I like iOS better. Period.

bluesqueen23

Apr 20, 2016
Visit site
I don't know what to say either.
Coming from a Sony Xperia Z3v with Android which was rock solid and stable (the original phone I had was beautiful IPS color, had the USB door fall off and got sent a refurbished one with a purple instead of black color display, and all other refurbished sent to me were the same, VZW dumped Sony and was sending out junk phones for replacements, sad), no crashes ever, to the iP7+ that just seems lacking. Perhaps my background in Linux for so long, I have used BSD on occasion which is the core of iOS (modified BSD) and come to think of it lacking almost the same way as in comparison to Linux. I had an Android powered BB Priv but never got to use it, I am also a fan of QNX that BB's original OS was based upon, nice micro-kernel, the Android version I never got to try but I doubt I missed anything. iOS just seems plain and simple compared to Android.
Don't flame me for my opinions please!
After the warranty is up I will try Jailbreaking and see what that yields, from my research so far it seems JB is what I need to be more pleased with iOS.
As far as photos go, the Sony had a 20.1mp camera, it shot good photos but the iP7+ is way better even with lower mps, the BB was lame 16mp and never got to use it. I am an IPS display fan, if I were on AT$T I would still have a Sony Xperia, but on VZW the iP7+ was the best choice for me at this time.
I am more about multimedia and mirroring content to TV right now, the Sony is far superior than any other phone for that, but alas VZW shunned Sony so I don't see VZW getting any more Sony products.
The IPS display on the Sony is almost spot on 6500 K which makes for great color reproduction, I don't know what the iP7+ is but it doesn't seem as close (6794 K is what I found), the chart does list the iP7+ close to the Sony Z3. Soomal - iPhone 7 Plus Review: Display - Soomal.com in case anyone is interested.
Well, enough for now.

I use both an iPhone 6s + as well as a BB Priv. Love the Priv. But, iPhone 6s + is my daily driver.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh