iPhone 7 plus for hard Work - is it real?

ViktorOTitov

Dec 3, 2016
Visit site
Dear professionals! Dear friends! Help me, please!

I decided to buy effective device for business for my daily work at home, on the road and in office. And bought iPhone 7 plus 256 gb onyx. I am working in the sphere of science and for administration. I need secure device with typing convenience (I use MS Office a lot, about 10 hours a day), and also autonomy. I always work with internet, researches and databases. I always have hundreds emails every day and I should response on them very quickly. Of course, I use WhatsApp, Viber, Skype, Facebook, BBM, iMessage to make productive discussions with my colleagues.
But my friends told me - what have You done - iPhone is only for games, You have to buy Dtek60 on Android or HP Elite x3 on Win10.
The question is - what programs for business and productive work do You use? File manager, etc.... Are there any possibilities of using my device more effective?
Many thanks! :):):)

LDYNREDD

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
I can't speak about the ip7+ yet since mine arrives on Monday however, I have had to recently use my iPad for work since my laptop went down.

I currently have a Blackberry z30 and will be switching when the ip7+ arrives but I have found some work-around that work for me.

I use office 365 all the time so I have one drive to sync with. I am able to put documents from my hubby's desktop into one drive and open them on the iPad. I use a lot of excel spreadsheet templates and I have found that if I "save as" before doing any work on a document, I can save a copy to the iPad, manipulate it and have it sync to one drive so that I can access from a PC. If I want to make changes to the document which will appear on all devices, I can just choose "save" and it will appear on one drive. This works with word documents also.

I have also had to fill in a number of PDF documents which I also saved to one drive.

I have found the native email app on the iPad is OK but I can't stand the Outlook app. The feature I don't like about the native email is how it searches. The Blackberry just does that much better. I find that searches on the native app often miss items that would be found on the Blackberry.

I will miss the bedside mode on the Blackberry since it was so easy to swipe on when I plugged in the phone to charge. I will also miss LED notifications which actually keep flashing until I notice. I will miss the quick access menu swipe from the top so I could quickly access my needed settings. I will miss the hub!!!

I don't use any social media so I cannot speak to those apps but, I have decided to make the switch also and I am looking forward to being able to access all the apps I need, to be able to take vastly superior pictures, to receiving regular updates, to not having to worry about companies discontinuing support for apps, to long battery life, bright screen.

In all, I'm sure you will have to find some "work arounds" that make the iPhone more functional for your work but I think it is possible.

Good luck

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
The iPhone is not a mere gaming device. Numerous professionals use it every day in their work environment. I'm one of them. With as many apps that are in the App Store, you're bound to find one or more that suits your specific needs, in my opinion. Having said that, it appears that the iPhone suits your needs, but you're tainted by comments made by your friends.

Shanicenicolle

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
My company switched from blackberry to iPhone (work for an insurance carrier) and it's been fine. You'll be able to do most of not all you need to do just take the time to search and set things up to what works best for you.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure how any smartphone could be labeled as "only for games". Their functionality is based off of what apps you install. Any current smartphone has an almost limitless supply of apps and is powerful enough for any business need. Furthermore, I work with professionals every single day and probably 90% of them have iPhones.

It sounds to me like your friends are Android/Windows users that are just giving you a hard time. Windows for mobile is a dying ecosystem, IMO.

tr1ad

Trusted Member
Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
As a logistics manager for an oil & gas company the transition from blackberry to iPhone was difficult only in theory; I have been able to work from my iPhone just as the blackberry with docs to go, DocuSign, scan to PDF etc flawlessly.
Initially I used cloud magic for work emails but switched over to outlook - get over this email app, you'll get used to it.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
As a logistics manager for an oil & gas company the transition from blackberry to iPhone was difficult only in theory; I have been able to work from my iPhone just as the blackberry with docs to go, DocuSign, scan to PDF etc flawlessly.
Initially I used cloud magic for work emails but switched over to outlook - get over this email app, you'll get used to it.

Off topic, but I loved Cloud Magic! I only used it for my personal email though, so I thought the 50 buck price per year was a little steep.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
Yeah, the $50 for additional features is a bit much. Still nice even without those features.

I've always found the stock iOS email app sufficient. I used Cloud Magic on my Android phones. Using Alto now. Do they let you use a free version of Newton (I think that's Cloud Magic's new name) on iOS with fewer features? They don't on Android afaik.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Mine and iPhones before it work fine for demanding business scenarios. I'm an IT director and sr network admin needing to comply with security and privacy. All my needs are met.

The phone is great for Office 365, G Suite, encryption apps, and Cisco tools for my work.

VPN functionality is great.

I've traveled in 3 countries in past 12 months and haven't had any problems with different carriers, and my Verizon plan to roam internationally works great.

All popular cloud storage platforms have worked great.

We've moved most all of our company mobile phones to iPhones because of software choices and the overall quality and satisfaction with the platform. Many products we look at have Apple apps first or exclusively. It's become the business mobile platform the way we once had Blackberry.

You can play games but we have 650+ employees with varied and demanding requirements. The platform has been great and 7 Plus is the flagship way to use it.

Evilguppy

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
Your friends tell you iPhone is for games only? Oh boy. Well, I've used Blackberry back when Blackberry was reliable. I've used Android and learned that Android devices are only reliable until Samsung forces their crappy updates on you. I went to iPhone and I'm finally able to do what I need without stress migraines popping up at every deadline, lol.

I volunteer for the CA state parks and the Bureau of Land Management, I do plant and animal studies, trail reports, I help remap areas where trails have disappeared, teach various outdoor skills, plan group hikes, review gear and tools etc.

I need access to the internet, I need several map and GPS apps, do extensive research, send receive and share emails, create documents (using Pages), edit photos and diagrams, topo maps etc.

Until last year, I also taught yoga and worked as a general, plumbing and electrical contractor and spent an entire year organizing a group of two dozen people to help a bedridden friend who was in and out of surgery.

iPhone 6, 6 plus and 7 plus (I've had all 3) can easily perform those tasks without making a dent in your battery life.

I use iMessage, facebook, twitter, MeWe And instagram for social media, i can easily cross platform if need be.

The 7 Plus has never dropped the ball on me, the only time I had to be careful was when working in sub zero temperatures, I made sure to keep my phone either in my sleeping bag at night or in my internal pocket while working during the day because the battery goes down when it's too cold.

So tell your friends to shut up and start having fun with your iPhone, already.

trparky

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site
Sounds like your friends are a bunch of biased Android fanboys. Don't get me wrong, we're a bunch of biased Apple iPhone fanboys here too but let's put some things into perspective here.

When you buy an Apple iPhone you get support; if you need help you can come to places like this but you also have the great benefit of being able to call Apple on the phone or you can get help in person by scheduling an Apple Genius Bar appointment at an Apple Store. There's nothing like this in the Android camp, not at all.

Second... let's talk operating system updates. Android? Don't make me laugh. What you get with your phone is more than likely what you're going to be stuck with during the lifetime of the device. Want software updates? Silly user, software updates are for new devices only. We have a shiny new device over there. BUY THAT YOU CHEAPSKATE! And it's even worse when it comes to critical security patches. Oh yeah... you don't get those either on Android or if you're extremely lucky you may get the security update six to eight months later after the exploit code has been plastered all over the stinkin' Internet.

You wouldn't run your desktop without the latest operating system updates. You wouldn't run an old version of Firefox. You wouldn't run an old version of Adobe Flash. Well... why do Android users insist that they're fine running an outdated version of Android with enough unpatched exploits that any hacker can p0wn your device in a heartbeat?

Meanwhile on the iPhone you get guaranteed iOS updates the same day that everyone across the world gets it. Doesn't matter if you have AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon, Sprint, or some pre-paid MVNO. It doesn't matter if you live in the United States, Canada, United Kingdom, or any other European nation. You get iOS updates the same day that everyone across the world gets it. You can sleep easy knowing your device has been patched against security exploits and your data will be safe. You simply can't do that on Android because well... when was that last update? Oh yeah... you didn't get one.

I can guarantee you that most Android fanboys won't like what I just posted in this thread one damn bit but it's the truth, the cold hard truth. They just don't want to admit to themselves that the update situation in the Android ecosystem is messed up because then they'd have to admit that Google was wrong and well... they don't want to do that; that would be against the almighty Android religion.

ViktorOTitov

Dec 3, 2016
Visit site
Dear friends! The question is open. Downloaded too many apps on my iPhone 7 plus, but haven't understood what is more productive and better suits for business. During this time have bought Apple Watch 2 Hermes and now am searching for MacBook 13 or 15 with touch bar. What do You think about this also? Many thanks!

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Dear friends! The question is open. Downloaded too many apps on my iPhone 7 plus, but haven't understood what is more productive and better suits for business. During this time have bought Apple Watch 2 Hermes and now am searching for MacBook 13 or 15 with touch bar. What do You think about this also? Many thanks!

What is still open? Are you getting your work done? I'll put this as nicely as I can. I really don't mean to be rude. If you are not productive, the problem is probably not your iPhone 7 plus.

To answer your other questions. I just took my Apple Watch back. While I get why people love it, It wasn't for me right now. I preferred my Fitbit. As for the MacBook, that's a personal choice. I'm considering one as well but I'm also looking at windows laptops. Have not decided yet.

Good luck to you.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm debating the same for the exact same reason.

I really liked the Apple Watch for everything except fitness tracking. I just felt like it was very inconsistent compared to the Fitbit. None of these trackers are 100% accurate, but if it can be consistent then at least you can measure and compare. I couldn't do that with the Apple Watch, especially with the heart rate monitor. Again, I know my Fitbit isn't 100% accurate either, but it is consistent and will work when I am working out and sweating.

I also got used to tracking my sleep on the Fitbit and despite trying a few apps on the AW, none of them worked nearly as well as the built in sleep tracker on the Fitbit.

Overall, it just was not worth the twice the cost of my Fitbit with those issues. If someone doesn't care about those things then I think the Apple Watch is great. There are just many better choices for fitness tracking in my opinion.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I really liked the Apple Watch for everything except fitness tracking. I just felt like it was very inconsistent compared to the Fitbit. None of these trackers are 100% accurate, but if it can be consistent then at least you can measure and compare. I couldn't do that with the Apple Watch, especially with the heart rate monitor. Again, I know my Fitbit isn't 100% accurate either, but it is consistent and will work when I am working out and sweating.

I also got used to tracking my sleep on the Fitbit and despite trying a few apps on the AW, none of them worked nearly as well as the built in sleep tracker on the Fitbit.

Overall, it just was not worth the twice the cost of my Fitbit with those issues. If someone doesn't care about those things then I think the Apple Watch is great. There are just many better choices for fitness tracking in my opinion.

For the people whose focus is on "fitness", I agree that the Fitbit and other fitness-focus products are the way to go. The Watch, in my opinion, suffers an identity problem. I mean, I see it as a timepiece that excels when it comes to notifications, while allowing for basic fitness needs. Others may buy seeking it to be a better fitness device, but then discover that it's nothing like they thought it would be.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro