Rest finger to open? Either way acts the same.

KillerQ

Oct 15, 2016
Visit site
I think I'm missing something.

On my iP7+, regardless of the setting being on or off, I still have to press the home button to wake the phone and unlock at the same time with touch id.

What's the difference between the two settings?

Last edited:

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Resting finger unlocks, not wake. So when you get to the passcode pad, you just rest finger on home button. No pressing. With "raise to wake", it's useful. Raise phone, rest finger...bingo.
With the 6s and up, the pressing of the home button works too good. It bypasses the password pad screen. Many like to see the lock screen for notifications and such. So they offered Raise to wake and rest finger to unlock.

KillerQ

Oct 15, 2016
Visit site
Thanks.

In a raise to wake situation, can you please give an example of When someone would want to have to press the home button? Your thumb is already there for Touch ID, why the extra step?

Westiemom

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
Thanks.

In a raise to wake situation, can you please give an example of When someone would want to have to press the home button? Your thumb is already there for Touch ID, why the extra step?

Well, when you raise your phone and the lock screen comes on, you only have to touch the button (not press it) and it unlocks your phone. If you haven't raised your phone to wake the lock screen and your screen is still black, you have to press down on the home button (which is registering your fingerprint at the same time) to unlock your phone. You can turn off the raise to wake feature if you don't like it.

I have the 6S Plus and this is how it works for me. I'm assuming with the 7 you have to press for the haptic (Taptic) feedback if you're unlocking from a black screen. Basically the same thing - just a light touch if the lock screen is on due to "raise to wake."

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Thanks.

The idea is to allow those who wish the opportunity to view the lock screen. I like seeing my lockscreen notifications when I wake in the morning. So raise to wake...read notifications > rest finger to unlock to the home screen.

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
b2fd5dd3e99ca7bb0ca3483c84f431e7.png

Make sure the rest finger to open is toggled on under accessibility settings in General and that you also have raise to wake toggled on. So when I raise my phone and the screen comes on all I need to do is place my finger on touchID and my phone unlocks to the home screen.

KillerQ

Oct 15, 2016
Visit site
The idea is to allow those who wish the opportunity to view the lock screen. I like seeing my lockscreen notifications when I wake in the morning. So raise to wake...read notifications > rest finger to unlock to the home screen.

Right...but the only difference would be that instead of resting, in push a fraction of a hair harder to achieve the same effect?

Not trying to be difficult/ I guess I just have giant hands and pressing hard is the same for me, lol

kirankannan8

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site
Right...but the only difference would be that instead of resting, in push a fraction of a hair harder to achieve the same effect?

Not trying to be difficult/ I guess I just have giant hands and pressing hard is the same for me, lol

Actually this feature shouldn't make a difference to iPhone 7 and 7 Plus owners. Because anyway there is no physical home button.
This makes sense for me though, I own an iphone 6s and it comes really handy!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2