Should I disable Two-Factor Authentication before getting new phone?

trparky

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site
I have an iPhone 6 Plus and my Apple ID has Two-Factor Authentication enabled on it. Should I disable Two-Factor Authentication before getting the new phone so I don't end up locking myself out of my own account?

rdstryr

Trusted Member
Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
I had a 5s with 2-factor authentication on when I bought my 7+, had not issues with it. Why/how would you lock yourself out of your account?

trparky

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site
No, I don't have any other Apple devices here. Why I am asking is because the last time I logged into my iCloud account on a new computer it asked me to enter my iCloud password on my iPhone 6 Plus but if I am trading my old iPhone 6 Plus in for a new iPhone 7 Plus I won't have my old device to enter my password in thus I would be locked out my account.

Does this make any sense?

trparky

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site
Yes, I'm trading it in at the same time I am purchasing the iPhone 7 Plus. I plan on going into the Apple Store, trading in the iPhone 6 Plus under the Apple Trade-In Program, and getting the new iPhone 7 Plus under the Apple iPhone Upgrade Program.

rdstryr

Trusted Member
Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204915

There are 2 good sections you should read regarding not having a trusted device. Short story, you can have it sent to your phone number.

My questions above relate to asking whoever it is you are trading in to will allow you to activate your 7 prior to removing your info from the 6s so that you can get the verification code first then do the wipe and hand over the phone.

rdstryr

Trusted Member
Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I'm trading it in at the same time I am purchasing the iPhone 7 Plus. I plan on going into the Apple Store, trading in the iPhone 6 Plus under the Apple Trade-In Program, and getting the new iPhone 7 Plus under the Apple iPhone Upgrade Program.

If this is the case they will help you through the whole process. No need to really worry about it until then. Just don't wipe your 6s yet until it's all settled.

trparky

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site
But why did my iPhone ask for my iCloud password when I tried to log into iCloud on a computer? I'm assuming that I'm going to need to do the same thing when the new iPhone is activated on my iCloud account.

rdstryr

Trusted Member
Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
I've never had it ask me for my password on my phone when I logged into iCloud on a computer. I've been sent the verification code so I could enter that on the computer. Is that what you mean?

trparky

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site
Nope, it asked for the password on my iPhone while the iCloud login window on the computer sat there waiting for verification. Only after I put my password in that the verification screen on the computer go away and finish the login process.

rdstryr

Trusted Member
Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Nope, it asked for the password on my iPhone while the iCloud login window on the computer sat there waiting for verification. Only after I put my password in that the verification screen on the computer go away and finish the login process.

Sounds like your phone was logged out of iCloud then. Was this immediately after you turned on 2FA?

trparky

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site
Even the Apple Store representative told me to disable Two-Factor Authentication while swapping the device, so I did that. The transition from my older iPhone 6 Plus to my new iPhone 7 Plus went... well, it had some issues.

I did a full iTunes Backup of my old phone and made sure that I had all my apps that I use on my computer in my iTunes library. The restore seemed to go right but several apps didn't get restored, I had to re-download them from the store. Still getting used to the new Home Button, the fact that it doesn't move is really strange.