Pixel Owners are so annoying. I used to be one. It's embarrassing. iOS is amazing.

jsarino

VR Expert
Trusted Member
Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
I'm guessing that since you have the 7Plus, you prefer a quality device with quality construction. The 6P does not fit that bill. I used one for a very short time and went with the Nexus 6. Built by Motorola and is very well built. The technical differences between the 6P and the 6 is minimal. They both run N but the 6 can be bought for a couple of hundred less and is an all around better device. My 2 cents.

I own both the Nexus 6 and 6P, and for me anyways, I like the latter's aluminum build better. I also felt the N6P feels better (5mm narrower than the N6), lighter, a touch sharper display, has the fingerprint sensor, and better camera. The N6 though does have better dual front speakers and larger display (5.96" vs 5.7"). You can also get the N6 for a third of the price of a N6P and get the same OS and security updates as the N6P. So for value, the Nexus 6 isn't too bad. :)

As for build quality between the Nexus 6P and iPhone 7Plus, the latter should be better, especially since it's a newer phone by nearly a year over the 6P.

ctt1wbw

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
I'm guessing that since you have the 7Plus, you prefer a quality device with quality construction. The 6P does not fit that bill. I used one for a very short time and went with the Nexus 6. Built by Motorola and is very well built. The technical differences between the 6P and the 6 is minimal. They both run N but the 6 can be bought for a couple of hundred less and is an all around better device. My 2 cents.

Build construction on Huaweii phones is pure trash.

dejanh

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
Just wanted to state that I was one of those people who was always tweaking and changing and maximizing and asking questions and comparing battery stats, blah, blah, blah.....

Now that I've come to the iPhone 7 Plus after almost 10 years exclusively on Android Flashgships, it's SUCH A RELIEF to be content with my phone and OS just the way it is. I'm thankful for it every time I use my phone.

I just poked my head in over in some Pixel forums, and it's riddled with people whining about and comparing screen in time and other battery stats.... it is almost embarrassing that I spent so much time on that stuff in the past. Haha.

I'm glad I don't have to deal with that crap anymore.

Come back and tell us how you feel in a year's time when all of the euphoria has worn off.

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Come back and tell us how you feel in a year's time when all of the euphoria has worn off.

Haha. I can definitely comment on this. I've been on my iPhone 6s Plus since December after years on Android. While this has been a great phone, the honeymoon was long gone awhile ago. It's now just kind of there. Nothing excites me about it or Apple in general anymore. Not sure if I'm going back to Android, but the Apple euphoria is long gone.

KillerQ

Oct 15, 2016
Visit site
Haha. I can definitely comment on this. I've been on my iPhone 6s Plus since December after years on Android. While this has been a great phone, the honeymoon was long gone awhile ago. It's now just kind of there. Nothing excites me about it or Apple in general anymore. Not sure if I'm going back to Android, but the Apple euphoria is long gone.

Yes. The euphoria wears off of every device. Here's the difference, when it wears off of the iPhone, at least it will still be working reliably. Whenever the euphoria wore of of my Android devices, they were hardly even recognizable compared to when I first bought it, lol.

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Yes. The euphoria wears off of every device. Here's the difference, when it wears off of the iPhone, at least it will still be working reliably. Whenever the euphoria wore of of my Android devices, they were hardly even recognizable compared to when I first bought it, lol.

I guess I didn't have the bad experiences with Android that you have had. I've had just as many glitches and errors with my iPhone since last December as I have with any Android phone. Nothing major or anything, but still the same ole glitches, different platform.

dejanh

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
Apple is slacking off, much like BlackBerry did back in the day. Innovation is all but dead on all fronts. Nothing about their devices screams "buy me" anymore. It also does not help that their software quality has gone downhill. How long has it been now that iOS 10 was first ingroduced to developers, and now we're going into 10.2, yet Bluetooth connectivity issues persists, as do issues with 3G/LTE. No device is perfect but between Apple slacking and other market players stepping up their game puts a lot more pressure on Apple and makes the whole Apple experience a more mute point.

WeAreAllUnique

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
Apple is slacking off, much like BlackBerry did back in the day. Innovation is all but dead on all fronts. Nothing about their devices screams "buy me" anymore. It also does not help that their software quality has gone downhill. How long has it been now that iOS 10 was first ingroduced to developers, and now we're going into 10.2, yet Bluetooth connectivity issues persists, as do issues with 3G/LTE. No device is perfect but between Apple slacking and other market players stepping up their game puts a lot more pressure on Apple and makes the whole Apple experience a more mute point.

I'm not sure about your argument. As far as features go, I do believe that Android offers slightly more, but the issue I have with Android is that those features are scattered across multiple devices for the most part. The only Android player that seems to consistently have the most features is Samsung. However, recently they have come into their own issues in the mobile space. And the new Google phone lacks some features that the iPhone has. The Apple experience isn't a "moot" point. It seems to be their saving grace. When a 3 year old iPhone runs new software flawlessly that's a win. No one complaints about updates with Apple because everyone gets them at the same time on a regular basis no matter what model or carrier. I do believe Google and Android are going in the right direction starting with the Pixel. But they have some catching up to do. I feel like they needed a almost perfect smartphone out the gate. But there have been some problems that have plagued the Pixel. I don't think Apple is worried. And I'm anticipating next year's anniversary edition to be huge. If handled well, which I'm betting on, they could be looking at astronomical sales numbers.

Last edited:

juanc212

Nov 11, 2016
Visit site
Been Android since its inception, mostly the nexus line and now the LG V20. Love the big screen and Android in general. But gotta admit, reading all these posts, I might just make the leap. At least as a secondary device and truly experience the "iPhone smoothness".

Savoy

Oct 20, 2016
Visit site
Been Android since its inception, mostly the nexus line and now the LG V20. Love the big screen and Android in general. But gotta admit, reading all these posts, I might just make the leap. At least as a secondary device and truly experience the "iPhone smoothness".

I'll tell you I love my samsung note devices and android but I truly got tired of fighting the rouge battery demons all the time. It really started to get old. I started to ask myself is this what I should have to be doing constantly on 700-800 dollar devices? Plus it was never truly butter smooth all the time. My IP7plus is silky smooth in every regard of the UI experience. I really have fallen in love with the device and the whole ecosystem. It just works and works dam well.

AustinIllini

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
I'll tell you I love my samsung note devices and android but I truly got tired of fighting the rouge battery demons all the time. It really started to get old. I started to ask myself is this what I should have to be doing constantly on 700-800 dollar devices? Plus it was never truly butter smooth all the time. My IP7plus is silky smooth in every regard of the UI experience. I really have fallen in love with the device and the whole ecosystem. It just works and works dam well.
I have had my share of Android devices, and let me tell you, rogue apps are just a way of life on the OS. I have had one bad battery draining issue, but uninstalling Facebook from my iPhone fixed it. Now I have no problem

Swapnil Vartak

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
As someone who's been using both platforms for the past few years, I have to say that both platforms have taken varying risks. For Android, the risk is higher, but so are the returns. So at the risk of lesser security because of the open source nature, it offers higher customization and is generally a more exciting platform. iOS on the other hand is less risky but at the cost of being slightly boring. It's plain and simple and just works. You don't and can't do much with it. Sometimes, you don't want to do anything with it.
So it depends on what you want out of your device. After all, it is just a phone.
My primary phone is an iPhone and possibly will remain so for some time, despite the debilitating pricing.

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Some apps. I'm still confused how the iOS versions of Google apps run better than the Android counterparts that are native to the operating system.

They don't? Gmail just got a revamp on iOS that bought it into parity with the Android version. The app package is like 4x the sizes. It's bloated compared to the Android version, which runs just as well and has features distinct to itself compared to the iOS version.

There are a number of other apps that are simply better on Android than on iOS from Google:

Google Drive (and Docs apps), Google Photos, Google Maps, Google Translate, Google Play Ecosystem Apps (Books, Movies & TV, Music), Google [Search] & Now, YouTube, Google Chrome, Google Keep, Google Calendar, etc.

When you think about it, the only reason why iOS users say that Google apps are "better" on iOS is because Google has used iOS as a Beta Testing ground for new features in the past (this will likely change as Google has built this directly into Play Store, recently; it used to require Google+). YouTube Camera was basically launched on iOS as a Beta Test before subsuming that functionality into the main YouTube App. The same thing happened with some Hangouts Features, which were put out on iOS before subsuming them into the Android app (or basically replacing it with Allo).

Apart from those inconsequential feature disparities (which have more to do with strategy than preference) and core UI differences between the OSes, Google's apps are generally better on Android than on iOS. Usability-wise, they are almost always better on Android due to how restricted apps are on iOS.

The same could be said for Microsoft's apps, as well.

And yes, anytime a company like Microsoft or Google supports a rival platform, one can assume detractors in their fanbase will decry it and act like the sky is falling. Just because some Android users are crying about things being better on iOS simply as a means to exaggerate things (to make a non-point), doesn't mean that's useful information to use in propping up your own platform.

I use Android and iOS (iOS Daily drivers for the past few years), and there's no way any reasonably person can conclude that Google's apps are better on iOS than on Android. They're certainly good - and one would hope so - but they aren't superior, especially once you stop looking at screen shots and start using them to get things done.

Last edited:

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Having owned dozens on flagship Android devices in the past years, I can tell you with 100% confidence that ALL android phones start out smooth.... apps and daily usage quickly change that in as little as a few weeks.

The hands-off file system of iOS is what keeps iPhones running so well. The fragmented, every-man-for-himself file structure of Android is its downfall.

Until that changes, the fate of all android devices will be the same. When the processors get faster, it will just take a bit longer before they inevitably slow down.

Nothing in this post makes sense.

Nothing.

Also, processor has nothing to do with Disk I/O speed and File System performance, which is what you're attributing the slow-down to (file system). Yes, you can use faster hardware to overcome performance deficit - this is what Apple does in MacBooks, because HFS+ is abysmal on Mechanical Hard Drives where NTFS flies compared to it, with the same exact specs otherwise. How files are organized on a disk almost doesn't matter these days. All of these phones use Flash Storage which is practically immune to fragmentation and has good-great random R/W speeds.

One could draw disparities between the performance of the tech used in different devices (Android Flagships do tend to use a slower storage tech than Apple), but I don't think it's that huge of a deal unless your day consists of you loading games over and over again. For smaller workloads, most people will not notice the difference. I only use "most" to cover the inevitable "but I do!!!" replies that would show up if I were more frank.

I haven't experienced any "Android rot." I find it to be, to me, as mythical as the "Windows rot" people spoke about. It's an issue I've never experienced. The same Mac users who decried "Windows Rot" were the first ones to make 3 page long posts on forums where people experienced similar issues on OS X, teaching them how to "avoid" the issue.

If someone has 30 apps installed loading background tasks writing to storage and checking the internet for things, then yes... You can pay for that in performance. However, that has absolutely nothing to do with the OS itself. Android doesn't really work fundamentally different than Windows, macOS, Linux, OS/2, or other OSes at that level. The issue is mostly an inaccurate expectation for an OS to function differently simply because the UI and form factor is dissimilar. Android's design gives it clear competitive advantages for some people over iOS, to the point where Android may be the only choice for them; even if they personally prefer to use an iPhone.

This is why I always keep a secondary Android device. Some things simply aren't possible on iOS, or the workflow is so utterly clunky - due to the way the OS is designed - that it isn't worth bothering to do it on my iPhone at all.

I keep a Windows PC around for the same exact reasons.

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I'm not sure about your argument. As far as features go, I do believe that Android offers slightly more, but the issue I have with Android is that those features are scattered across multiple devices for the most part. The only Android player that seems to consistently have the most features is Samsung. However, recently they have come into their own issues in the mobile space. And the new Google phone lacks some features that the iPhone has. The Apple experience isn't a "moot" point. It seems to be their saving grace. When a 3 year old iPhone runs new software flawlessly that's a win. No one complaints about updates with Apple because everyone gets them at the same time on a regular basis no matter what model or carrier. I do believe Google and Android are going in the right direction starting with the Pixel. But they have some catching up to do. I feel like they needed a almost perfect smartphone out the gate. But there have been some problems that have plagued the Pixel. I don't think Apple is worried. And I'm anticipating next year's anniversary edition to be huge. If handled well, which I'm betting on, they could be looking at astronomical sales numbers.

It's not about having the most features, period. Therefore, the fact that different OEMs differentiate in feature list doesn't matter. Windows PCs do this as well, and people simply buy whichever PC fits their needs best. The same thing can be said about Apple's Mac (and even iOS - if you could iPad Air 2 vs. Pro 9.7" ) hardware.

It's about having the most features for you.

When I compare an iPhone to an Android Phone, these are some disparities that matter - like CODEC and Document Format Support. Lacking FLAC compatibility is an issue for me. I edit music. I like to send "Draft" Edits as FLAC. If I only need to do something minor (insert a bit of silence, make a small deletion), I can do that directly in the FLAC file. On a Mac or iPhone these files are unplayable. This is not the case on Windows and Android. It "just works" on those OSes - all of them.

Even a $60 Android phone can play FLAC files.

On the document front, the lack of ODF compatibility on iPhones and Macs is an issue. iWork is pretty terrible at exporting usable Office Documents once you go past very basic things. Something as simple as a 2 column document will see its columns switched around when exporting from Pages to Word. It's not usable. In addition to that, many people do use Office Suits that export to pretty good ODF format (Microsoft Office, WordPerfect Office, LibreOffice, Google Docs, etc. ... even startups and smaller player have implemented this). iWork is the only "major Office Suite" (if it can be called this) that doesn't.

The ability to easily transfer content from your other devices to your iPhone is another issue that plagues many people. The iPhone's software also makes some interesting choices for you, that ends up doing anything but helping. Baking in Slow Motion "ranges" into High Frame Rate video isn't helpful to anyone who's pulling the video off to load into a Video Analysis program like Dartfish or Kinovea, for example.

These things are simply not an issue on Android. As much as it pains people here to hear this, Windows and Android are simply more productive platforms than macOS and iOS. There's a big difference between sitting on a forum pedestal and being out in the real world trying to fit these devices and OSes/systems into your workflow.

The difference between iOS and Android in the real world, beyond the basics is like comparing Windows Home Basic to Windows Professional Edition. Yes, Home Basic can do literally everything the average user needs, but once you try to push the device into different niches and challenging workflows, tons of issues can arise...

It doesn't help that you can get Android "flagships" for less than half the price of a comparable iPhone, either.

Hobson123

Nov 9, 2016
Visit site
I just got my iPhone 7+ a couple days ago from my iPhone 6+ and I love it I think it's great. Im in a lucky position that my job allows me to have 2 phones. I love them both. I have a Samsung s7 edge and my iPhone, and either of them are fantastic phones.

WeAreAllUnique

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
can do literally everything the average user needs

This is the most relevant part of your post. Apple appeals to the average user. And it does this seemingly better than anyone else. What you do with your tech seems impressive and complicated. And most may not have any clue how to accomplish those things on a computing device or even knows what those tasks are.

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
This is the most relevant part of your post. Apple appeals to the average user. And it does this seemingly better than anyone else. What you do with your tech seems impressive and complicated. And most may not have any clue how to accomplish those things on a computing device or even knows what those tasks are.

The problem is that a lot of people aren't an average user.

Also, you're ignoring the fact that a $60 Android phone does just as much.

I really dislike the harsh snipping out of sentence fragments to be used to cater to people's biases, as well. Seems to be happening more and more across the internet these days.

"Don't like the other parts, but this part - in isolation - sounds pretty good."

The way you're referencing that fragment has absolutely nothing to do with the context in which it appears. If you can't be bothered to respond decently to the post, don't quote me.

Sharing that WMV file you exported out of Windows Movie Maker and expecting it to play is not impressive not complicated.

Playing a FLAC audio file is not impressive or complicated.

Getting a video off a phone and onto a PC is not impressive or complicated.

These are tasks which work out of the box on other devices, or are made trivial that Apple has - by choice - made impossible or complicated on THEIR devices.

I don't do anything on my phone that I couldn't do more easily on an Android device, and that's part of the issue.

If I have to jump through hoops for these things, imagine what the "Average" user feels like when these seemingly trivial tasks simply can't be accomplished on this $900+ device...

Yes the out of the box functionality works for the majority, but even then the usability often isn't great. For many others, the OS literally is unusable, even if they otherwise prefer it.

Double fist phones or just suck it up and go Android.

This point you're trying to make applies to Android. It's the platform dominating the world, right now, because of that.

WeAreAllUnique

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
The problem is that a lot of people aren't an average user.

Also, you're ignoring the fact that a $60 Android phone does just as much.

I really dislike the harsh snipping out of sentence fragments to be used to cater to people's biases, as well. Seems to be happening more and more across the internet these days.

"Don't like the other parts, but this part - in isolation - sounds pretty good."

The way you're referencing that fragment has absolutely nothing to do with the context in which it appears. If you can't be bothered to respond decently to the post, don't quote me.

Sorry, didn't want to offend you but your post was long. Very long. And you are right, $60 android phones can do the same thing. But is the experience the same? Not by a mile. Experience isn't the same for some flagship Android devices. Listen, I like Android. But, they are still plagued with some issues that they have always been plagued with for years.