Pixel Owners are so annoying. I used to be one. It's embarrassing. iOS is amazing.

Truman82

Mar 29, 2015
Visit site
On s7 edge I noticed that the mini USB port was made of plastic. Yesterday tried to see how it is on my 7 plus but I'm not sure yet?

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
On s7 edge I noticed that the mini USB port was made of plastic. Yesterday tried to see how it is on my 7 plus but I'm not sure yet?

Hmmm. I'm not 100% sure but I'd be willing to bet the lightning port is NOT made out of plastic.

KillerQ

Oct 15, 2016
Visit site
I looked into it and found out it's made out of vibranium, the same nigh-indestructible metal as Captain America's shield.

d5882c8dba1f166c28afcb1cacd4b1e7.jpg

KillerQ

Oct 15, 2016
Visit site
Pixel Owners are so annoying. I used to be one. It's embarrassing. iOS is ama...

To better honest I don't see why people complain about three lightening port so much. I had the USB c on my note 7 and it was certainly better than the mini USB I'd been using for years before that on all the other Android devices but I actually prefer the lightning connector. Why? To meet it seems more of a sturdy connection less prone to being bent and also less likely to bed pulled out while plugged in. USB c was fine too but I think I like the lightning port a little better. I just like how it feels when you plug it in and out. Feels very should to me.

I agree 100%. Just speaking from a purely physical construction standpoint, I prefer the lightening port. My Nexus 6P had USB C, and I didn't really realize that it had any faults at all until I started using the LP connector on my iPhone 7 plus. Here are my points:

1) LP has a smaller footprint
2) LP has better physical insertion 'snap,' as well as retention
3) LP doesn't scratch the area around the charging port like the thin-walled, metal USB C connector did.

I'll happily take These three reasons alone ahead of faster change times if it came down to it.

Not to mention, the way that USB C connectors are made still causes a seam/joint to be present on the metal sheath. This is a weak spot and I've often seen it fail or at least start to become misshapen here. The LP connector is molded from a single die - no seams or joints.

Last edited:

Savoy

Oct 20, 2016
Visit site
Re: Pixel Owners are so annoying. I used to be one. It's embarrassing. iOS is ama...

I agree 100%. Just speaking from a purely physical construction standpoint, I prefer the lightening port. My Nexus 6P had USB C, and I didn't really realize that it had any faults at all until I started using the LP connector on my iPhone 7 plus. Here are my points:

1) LP has a smaller footprint
2) LP has better physical insertion 'snap,' as well as retention
3) LP doesn't scratch the area around the charging port like the thin-walled, metal USB C connector did.

I'll happily take These three reasons alone ahead of faster change times if it came down to it.

Not to mention, the way that USB C connectors are made still causes a seam/joint to be present on the metal sheath. This is a weak spot and I've often seen it fail or at least start to become misshapen here. The LP connector is molded from a single die - no seams or joints.

This right here.^

That's exactly how I feel about the differences between the two. The LP is more secure feeling and has a more solid build to it. There's no doubt about it.

KillerQ

Oct 15, 2016
Visit site
Re: Pixel Owners are so annoying. I used to be one. It's embarrassing. iOS is ama...

This right here.^

That's exactly how I feel about the differences between the two. The LP is more secure feeling and has a more solid build to it. There's no doubt about it.

Thanks, glad you notice the positives as well!

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
To better honest I don't see why people complain about three lightening port so much. I had the USB c on my note 7 and it was certainly better than the mini USB I'd been using for years before that on all the other Android devices but I actually prefer the lightning connector. Why? To meet it seems more of a sturdy connection less prone to being bent and also less likely to bed pulled out while plugged in. USB c was fine too but I think I like the lightning port a little better. I just like how it feels when you plug it in and out. Feels very should to me.

The reason for the complaints about the lightning ports is that it is proprietary -- Apple owns it and requires companies to license it (pay royalty fees) to be able to use it. So, this means you have to buy unique chargers and, with the loss of the headphone jack, unique (wired) headphones that will only work on your iPhone. By contrast, USB-C is the new USB standard that everyone else will be using -- and even Apple is starting to use it on their computers.

The complaint isn't about the technology of the lightning port, it is about needing to buy separate chargers/headphones/etc. for your iPhone, rather than using the standard the rest of the industry will be moving to. I should also mention that fast charging is built into the USB-C standard, another feature that many seem to be wanting for the iPhone.

KillerQ

Oct 15, 2016
Visit site
The reason for the complaints about the lightning ports is that it is proprietary -- Apple owns it and requires companies to license it (pay royalty fees) to be able to use it. So, this means you have to buy unique chargers and, with the loss of the headphone jack, unique (wired) headphones that will only work on your iPhone. By contrast, USB-C is the new USB standard that everyone else will be using -- and even Apple is starting to use it on their computers.

The complaint isn't about the technology of the lightning port, it is about needing to buy separate chargers/headphones/etc. for your iPhone, rather than using the standard the rest of the industry will be moving to. I should also mention that fast charging is built into the USB-C standard, another feature that many seem to be wanting for the iPhone.

I just keep something like this on my keychain and I'm good. I have never needed it, but it's there.

https://www.amazon.com/Apple-MD820Z...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUimUvbUpU2846620

You can find a generic version of these adapters and some have key loops build into them.

Savoy

Oct 20, 2016
Visit site

Ok well that makes sense no argument here. Since I'm a new apple person the whole LC thing is newish to me and so I didn't see a problem when in fact I thought the build quality and fitment of it is very well done. As far as having to play a little more for their cables ehh that doesn't bother me. I also never use headphones with my phone so the whole loss of the 3.5mm port doesn't affect me at all.

vondrook4

Oct 28, 2016
Visit site
I'm a bit of a resolution snob, so Android phones with 1440p screens kind of make me jealous, as well as fast charging, but overall I'm very content with my 7 Plus. It's just so snappy, fluid, and reliable. And I'm LOVING Portrait mode. It's not perfect yet but so far I've taken some awesome shots.

Savoy

Oct 20, 2016
Visit site
I'm a bit of a resolution snob, so Android phones with 1440p screens kind of make me jealous, as well as fast charging, but overall I'm very content with my 7 Plus. It's just so snappy, fluid, and reliable. And I'm LOVING Portrait mode. It's not perfect yet but so far I've taken some awesome shots.

I felt the same way at first coming from 3 phone's with 1440p res back down to 1080p but I got over it when I realized how nice this screen is. The pixel arrangement makes the higher res unnecessary and is pretty much as sharp as an AMOLED arrangement on a screen of similar size. The only trade off is saturation for color accuracy. I like them both in their own ways. Neither one is better just different.

KillerQ

Oct 15, 2016
Visit site
I felt the same way at first coming from 3 phone's with 1440p res back down to 1080p but I got over it when I realized how nice this screen is. The pixel arrangement makes the higher res unnecessary and is pretty much as sharp as an AMOLED arrangement on a screen of similar size. The only trade off is saturation for color accuracy. I like them both in their own ways. Neither one is better just different.

Good call. I must say, however, that the iPhone screens are nearly FLAWLESS under direct sunlight. Which is waaaay more than I can say for my past phones - especially my Nexus 6P

WeAreAllUnique

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
The higher the resolution the more data you could potentially burn. I don't have unlimited data through my carrier so I slightly lower resolution helps me keep my consumption in check.

RHChan84

Oct 22, 2016
Visit site

I didn't care for 1440 on my last two devices and still doesn't bother me that iPhone isn't. It's a battery hog and you cannot notice a difference between the two. Unless your heavily into VR, I'll take 1080 over 1440 any day on a phone.

1440 screens has been out for over 3 years and processors still haven't caught up to them yet. I used to out ROMs that allowed changing to 1080P and I would get a slight increase in battery life and would run smoother. But you run into scaling issues when that happens.

WeAreAllUnique

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
I didn't care for 1440 on my last two devices and still doesn't bother me that iPhone isn't. It's a battery hog and you cannot notice a difference between the two. Unless your heavily into VR, I'll take 1080 over 1440 any day on a phone.

1440 screens has been out for over 3 years and processors still haven't caught up to them yet. I used to out ROMs that allowed changing to 1080P and I would get a slight increase in battery life and would run smoother. But you run into scaling issues when that happens.

2K screens potentially use more data when streaming video. I haven't seen the real benefit in having a resolution higher than 720p on smartphone screens as of yet. Until then, I opt for a lower resolution on my screen with better performance and battery life.

RHChan84

Oct 22, 2016
Visit site
2K screens potentially use more data when streaming video. I haven't seen the real benefit in having a resolution higher than 720p on smartphone screens as of yet. Until then, I opt for a lower resolution on my screen with better performance and battery life.

That's true but at the time of the LG G3, there were very few 1440P videos on YouTube and I still think Netflix supports 1080 on smartphones.

720 for 5" or smaller and 960 for under 6" is what I would go for. I think 720 on a 5.5" or 960, you can see minor differences. But differences where you have to look and not difference that will stand out like black front face plate or white front face plate. I can't remember what resolution it is when it hits 240PPI and I'm too lazy to google it.

aximtreo

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I always use the analogy of iOS being like you're favorite restaurant and Android being like a buffet. With iOS you always know what you're getting with all of the hardware. It's the same experience, for the most part. Android you get a lot more options but results and experiences vary by device. With that said, I use iPhone 7 Plus as my main device but am looking to pick up a Pixel of 6P to try some Nougat.

I'm guessing that since you have the 7Plus, you prefer a quality device with quality construction. The 6P does not fit that bill. I used one for a very short time and went with the Nexus 6. Built by Motorola and is very well built. The technical differences between the 6P and the 6 is minimal. They both run N but the 6 can be bought for a couple of hundred less and is an all around better device. My 2 cents.

jsarino

VR Expert
Trusted Member
Jul 11, 2013
Visit site

Probably the reason we haven't seen 4K displays yet is the issue of battery life, as well as the differences between a display that's 1080p to a quad-core display that's 2560p is not as noticeable on a smartphone. It would be overkill IMO to move displays up to that range.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner