Storage Capacity on first startup

PP763

Jan 10, 2016
Visit site
Just got a 256GB version and on startup it says capacity of 248.58GB and the availible is about 4GB less. Am i correct in assuming that the 248.58 is taking into account the operating system space

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site
Just got a 256GB version and on startup it says capacity of 248.58GB and the availible is about 4GB less. Am i correct in assuming that the 248.58 is taking into account the operating system space

Bottom line, everything is OK. :)

Without getting to technical, when you purchase a storage size from a manufacture they measure 1 GB as 1,000 MB. instead of 1,024 MB. So every GB you pay for, you actually lose out on a small amount. This is normal and nothing to worry about.

PP763

Jan 10, 2016
Visit site
Many thanks for the quick reply. It also had 44 minutes on the call time counter. Ive googled this and some people say it could be to do with either testing in the factory or from icloud. Have you come across this?

dpham00

Trusted Member
Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
720699cdccfc22d1f4cf6e92e19b2107.png

You should have 238gb of actual storage. Usable would be actual storage less os

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161102/720699cdccfc22d1f4cf6e92e19b2107.png

You should have 238gb of actual storage. Usable would be actual storage less os
This makes literally no sense.

You're converting from GB to GiB and then telling the user they should have <X> GB of available storage, while using the number you converted to GiB. This is like reading writing French and telling someone it's English text.

The Space lost is due to formatting, as is common.

The phone reports GB, so it's calculating storage as GB, not GiB. This is completely different from how the storage volumes were manufactured. If the storage manufacturer used GiB, then the GB calculation of the OS will expose that by reporting a lower maximum GB capacity. The numbers you converted clearly show this is not the case. Otherwise, the number would be lower. Also, there is (from what I see) not the standard disclaimer that virtually all hard drives/SSDs manufacturers this way contain telling the user that a different measurement was used.

Formatting a drive will result in space lost. You cannot install an OS on a RAW storage volume. It has to be formatted, so you will never get the full capacity. This is true even if they use 1,024MB = GB for storage calculation and reporting.

Additionally, File Systems have different allocation block sizes, and typically a file smaller than the allocation unit is going to occupy the size of one allocation block. If you create a 1byte text file on your hard drive, and your FS has 16KB blocks, the file will still take up 16KB on disk. As a result, there is "leakage" of storage as you put more files on the device, particularly lots of large files.

Example from my Mac:

File Sizes.png

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73