Do you leave apps running in the background or close them?

LDYNREDD

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
I just checked the backgroung apps on my iPad a couple weeks ago and realized at that time that it had been months since I had even looked at that. I guess I am in the "leave them alone" camp. I forgot they were even there ☺️

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Back in the day it mattered in iOS. Not any longer.

I always tease my kids because they RELIGIOUSLY close their apps. It's annoying.

Why is it annoying? It's not like they're closing the apps on the phone you use. They're doing it on their own devices...

itsnotmeitsyou

Aug 2, 2016
Visit site
I never close an app unless it's acting up. iOS handles memory quite well on its own. Actually, closing out apps can hurt battery life because your phone has to reload an app every time you use it rather than simply calling it back up from the background.

Was going to say this. Especially if those apps load in the background for notifications, etc. They're going to just use more resources to restart. iOS will hibernate and prioritize apps as needed.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Ill join that OCD club. Always close any App thats open when I'm finished using it. don't want my battery to drain unnecessarily

It takes more battery to reopen the closed app than it does to keep it in a suspended state. You're fighting yourself :)

prithvi64

Oct 12, 2016
Visit site
As my phone was freezing frequently while using phone & contacts app so started closing opened apps. Now, I understand, no need to close, multitasking takes care it automatically.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Closing all apps to save battery is a myth. The multitasking tray was put there by Apple for...well, multitasking. It's so you can easily switch from one app to another. Most apps sitting in multitasking are doing nothing. They're in a suspended state. And when one "runs" in the background, it usually doesn't do it for long. Most only do so a minute or less. Apps need to do that so they work as we want them to. You're shorting your apps when you swipe them out for no reason. They then have to work extra hard, using even more resources unnecessarily. Just leave them be. I promise they won't eat your battery or do anything that hurts your phone. Swiping them all out is a waste of time. That said, if an app is misbehaving in some way, then swipe it out to fix it. Otherwise, leave the apps alone and let them perform for you.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I don't close my apps, except for navigation apps.
Like Ledsteplin said closing apps limits the working of apps and shortens battery life when you close them and often start the same apps.

dpham00

Trusted Member
Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
Leaving apps in multitasking does not drain your battery. It takes more battery to open them when you need them.

It only matters when you have a misbehaving app then closing it can save significant battery. Not sure if this has been fixed but it was an issue on previous iPhones with certain apps

jlgraham

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
I leave all apps running and just let iOS manage background activities. I only "close" an app if my phone is acting up, or if an app freezes/glitches.

The only exception is Snapchat, which I alway swipe away, as I've noticed (from the battery menu) that it is very active in the background when not in use. So to save battery, I always close it when not in use.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I leave all apps running and just let iOS manage background activities. I only "close" an app if my phone is acting up, or if an app freezes/glitches.

The only exception is Snapchat, which I alway swipe away, as I've noticed (from the battery menu) that it is very active in the background when not in use. So to save battery, I always close it when not in use.

Turn Background App Refresh on for Snapchat and it will be more efficient. They don't run in the background just to use battery. They actually don't use that much. A rogue app might, or one that misbehaves in some way. I did that with Facebook for a while. Then discovered it made no difference with my battery. The main battery killers with apps are location services and push notifications, not running in the background.

iphoneenthusiast1989

Oct 16, 2016
Visit site
I close the ones that get only occasional usage. Otherwise apps like Tapatalk Pro, Messenger, iMessage, Facebook, Twitter, Mail and others all stay open unless they are acting up. It helps keep the app switcher a bit cleaner and easier to look through.

What is Tapatalk? I see a lot people mentioning it all the time.

iphoneenthusiast1989

Oct 16, 2016
Visit site
Closing all apps to save battery is a myth. The multitasking tray was put there by Apple for...well, multitasking. It's so you can easily switch from one app to another. Most apps sitting in multitasking are doing nothing. They're in a suspended state. And when one "runs" in the background, it usually doesn't do it for long. Most only do so a minute or less. Apps need to do that so they work as we want them to. You're shorting your apps when you swipe them out for no reason. They then have to work extra hard, using even more resources unnecessarily. Just leave them be. I promise they won't eat your battery or do anything that hurts your phone. Swiping them all out is a waste of time. That said, if an app is misbehaving in some way, then swipe it out to fix it. Otherwise, leave the apps alone and let them perform for you.

Ur exactly correct! 👍😁

bennu901

Oct 22, 2016
Visit site
Do you keep a bunch of apps running in the background or do you always close them out?

I guess its my OCD but I'm constantly closing apps and never have any running in the background. :rolleyes:

Looked at my wife's phone last night and she had a million apps running in the background.
Felt a little sick after seeing that. :p
Lmao me all day it drives me crazy to see my wife have 10 apps open and 15 webpage tabs

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Lmao me all day it drives me crazy to see my wife have 10 apps open and 15 webpage tabs

I have 99 apps sitting in my multitasking. It's no big deal. Most are just there doing nothing. Why would 10 apps in your wife's multitasking bother you? They're supposed to be there.

dpham00

Trusted Member
Apr 2, 2014
Visit site

I think social media apps in general can be battery intensive in the background

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods